Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mray

Zippel Bay State Park?

8 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on Zippel Bay state park and its facilities (including campsites, lake access, etc.)

Also- any fishing tips from the south side of the lake would be great. I am a rookie to fishing the south side- usually go around the Oak Island area but going to try something new.

Thanks for any help!

The park is very nice. There is a first rate marina, decent

fish cleaning area, rustic camping and I think a place for

campers too.

The fish seem to be going all the time around Zipple. A very

diverse mix of rock, sand and gravel keep the fish close

by.

When do you plan to fish the area?

I've camped at ZBSP in the fall. It's a nice quiet campground. It is a primitive campground. They have a couple of hand pump wells for water and outhouses. Like Curt said, a real nice marina. It is better than what many of the resorts have. Some trails in the area for hiking/biking.

There are showers also, up towards the check in station. Nice campground, lots of wildlife. Don't fish that particular area much, but it is Lake of the Woods so it can't hardly be bad grin.gif.

later,

toddb

They also have a dump station by the shower house (w/ water) . Marina is well protected from the wind. The actual launch is a bit tricky if the wind is howling out of the N - NE. There is a dock at the launch and very nice mooring facilities. Camping is primitive (no water or electric). A great quiet place. I have a 24" camper w/ a boat trailer and can get around pretty well. Fish can usually be found in fairly close proximity. Get your bait before you go there although you could motor up to Zipple Bay Resort for gas/bait (pay attention to the markers). Have fun... give it a try.

SAL

Well thank you guys very much for the responses. There are 3 of us that will be camping in the park saturday through tuesday nights. Sounds like we got into a good situation. Thanks!

Probably up Sun and maybe Mon. Blue over Tan ProV.

Stop and say Hi.

SAL

Just a side note on doing out from the park, there is a marker bouy missing on the right side going out, it's the last one in the channel before the lake. So stay close to the left side. We hit something going out and messed up our prop. Don't know if it was a rock or the piling that held the bouy, so watch out. Fishing was good just drifting out in in front of Zippel 27-28ft. Good luck. denlin

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• People are getting smarter.

• Northern Minnesotans are strong supports of the SS rule. Shoot and shut up.

• Cliff Wagenbach

Posted

I have never had a bad meal at the Vermilion Club!

Great pizzas, wings, steaks, etc.!

Cliff

• Capt. Quicksteel

Posted

This thread makes me glad I'm on the east end!!  :)  Nobody has mentioned the Vermilion Club. Not fancy but we always enjoy the pizza etc

• Great report.  I will be fishing Fri, Sat, Sun with high school buds and we are looking forward to good fishing and good catching!!!

• Ya I think my dog would want to go after them he gets really excited around other dogs. That's why I will never hunt him without his e collar because I know I can stop him in his tracks with it. My dog likes to hunt close and I never let him push out way in front of me so at least I have eyes on him at all time and can give him the command to come to me if I see a wolf. I always keep a slip lead with me as well so I can put that on him and not have my hand tide up reaching down holding on his collar.

I had a couple run in with wolves last year in the Longville/Remer area but that was just with me on foot with no dog.

The one thing that gets me is "Only agents of the government are authorized to take wolves if pets or livestock are threatened, attacked or killed" 

I don't think I could just stand there and watch my dog die.

Anyway did you hunt a different area? Any birds I have only been out once in the mille lacs area and didn't see any. Going to Nemadji this weekend and should see some.

• smalliehunter

Posted

A friend and I will also be up chasing smallmouth this weekend!!!

• slammer

Posted

Add Sallie to the list.

• BlackArrow1

Posted

Went up north of Tofte last weekend camping/looking for a few grouse and to see the fall colors. Was in the region of the grade and 600 road. Pulled off on a walk only trail to run my lab and see if I could kick a few. Anyhow, my lab sits and barks like hell with anticipation at me every time I'm getting the gun out and getting ready to hunt her. So for about 5 minutes she's harassing me loud barking with excitement. We start walking down the trail maybe 50 yards and I see all this brown commotion jumping around ahead of us about 75 yards. At first I think we startled some deer. Then one came out full on the trail and stood watching me/dog. They were timber wolves. That one slunk off in the woods and another came out and just sat there looking at us for about a minute or so. When I noticed they were wolves I grabbed the dog by the caller. They seemed interested in my dog. Her barking must have drew them in. They ran off after looking us over a bit. I turned around and left that spot to avoid any issues. I'm thinking that maybe some younger bird dogs would be enticed to chase after wolves that show this kind of interest in them. In my opinion that would be bad and a dog may not come back alive, given their boldness and interest in my dog. It was fun seeing them, but we didn't just walk up and surprise them, they were coming to see the barking dog. Just curious? Maybe. Looking for an easy meal, maybe. I'm just putting this out there to inform bird hunters up there what I saw, so they can be aware if they have dogs. And no they were not coyotes. 

• ANYFISH2

Posted

Made it out yesterday evening, SAW 4 deer. The same small buck and 3 does.  They sure seemed skittish with the wind.

For the fact I am getting very few daytime pics of any deer, I am at lest seeing a few every sit.