Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reel man

technical question

9 posts in this topic

should a rapala be fished with a ball snap swivel in front of it or just tied to the line? and what is the right way to retrieve a kastmaster.Stupid questions for some I'm sure however lures have never been my forte.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

it is a hard knot to tie. most of the time i just use a "O" ring in front of the rapala. good luck

Tying directly to the split ring gives the bait the best action.

Post deleted by Meaney

Twas me Meany. grin.gif

I sent you an email with an explanation last night. And another e-mail just now.

For me it pretty much depends on where I'm fishing. If I'm out on Chesterwoods working a rapala I'll directly tie onto the bait. However, if I'm out fishing the backwaters and using standard spinning/casting set ups I will tend to tie a leader to it as the possibility of hooking up with a northern is pretty great.

I don't know if it really makes a differenct, but I typically always work floating rapalas as a surface bait.

I like to use a snap (not a snap swivel) as it aids in efficiency when switchin baits. I don’t believe you need ball snap swivel as there shouldn’t be much line twist if your rapala is working correctly. I hook the snap directly to the snap ring (if the rapala comes with one (some don’t)).

I believe Rapala recommends using a rapala knot.

A kastmaster can be retrieved a variety of ways. A steady retrieve (similar to a daredevil or spoon) is how I normally retrieve it. I’ve also used the hop retrieve where I let it sink to the bottom and kinda hop it back using slow long lifts of the rod tip. With this you should be able to work the bottom 6’ or so of water.

Now that I've left the area I'll give up one of my secrets - Yozuri Pin's Minnow! I like the way they cast, retrieve, suspend and catch fish. Of course I have a whole box full now with very few trout streams up here. But they also work well for smallmouth and walleyes when they're shallow.

Thank you all for the info! laugh.gif