Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nitefisher

big fish in private lakes

15 posts in this topic

o.k. this is the big question. does anyone think there are state record fish in any private lakes in the state of minnesota? if not, how is this known unless fished first hand by any one person. now i am not in this for a fight just looking for facts. i personally know of lakes that hold state record fish but have vowed to the people that my mouth is shut to were these lakes are and there names of the lakes. i have been called a lier on catching record fish to many times, and i probly will be called a lier the rest of my life for this, but that is o.k. im just looking for some answeres to how people know that these record fish aren't in minnesota.?

I agree with you we shouldn't tell anyone what lakes they are at. (When are we going there?)

i should add to this also so you have an idea to the way these lakes are. some are spring feed, some have spring feed inlets, some just have the rain to keep them full, some are 7' deep but feed by inlets, some are 90' deep and have no inlets. and a very wide veriety of structure. i hope this will help a little more in helping me get some answeres.

How about some pictures so we can see these hogs?

I think almost every lake holds or has the potencial of holding some sort of state record fish . it still doesnt matter if that fish doesnt want bite on your hook your not going to catch that fish. Ive also seen possible state record fish in some lakes no way to prove it but I just know they were. Youd be suprised what you see in a spear shack.

yep i spear alot and see lots of fish that look to be records. as far as pics i don't have any that i can put on here, but if you have an issue of outdoors weekly (june 16 2006) on page 8 theres a pic of my daughter inlaw holding a 13 lb 12oz northern, that is one fish from one of the lakes that i fish. most of the northerns in this lake are of that size or bigger.

WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO TAKE PICTURES OF "WORLD RECORD" FISH? confused.gif

well they need to be alot bigger to even come close to the state record for a pike. i would NOT go as far as saying that every lake has a state record in it. there are many more lakes that do not a hold that large of a fish no matter what species because of the dynamics of a lake. the dynamics of a lake (forage cover depth and so on dont allow fish to simply grow that big and the genetics of the fish that are reproducing simply don't allow a fish to get that big. Are there state record fish on private lakes. I am sure there is some but i dont think it is the norm. just my two cents.

state record.

thanks for your reply. do you have the paper from june 16th.

ouch sorry for my typo i meant NOT having state record didnt see it till you posted.

Well my dads pond has produced a 13 in blue gill and many 10-12 inchers. Come fall when the water cools i will go catch a few for dinner and one for the wall.

now thats the story i read in fishing magazines when i was a kid! well, kind of...i remember a story about a private pond, maybe in kentucky or somewhere along that latitude. the guys fishing crawled up to the pond on all fours, not to scare the fish. they caught at least one 4 pounder! anyway, way to go to your dad!!! lucky you!

regards,

minnesotatuff

Curious why you put this in the Mille Lacs forum? Could those private lakes you are referring to reside near Mille Lacs? Hmmm? LOL

Having 13# Northerns and 45# Northerns are two totally different things. Could private ponds or lakes hold record fish? Certainly, but not very likely. What type of forage is in there? And what type of record fish are we talking? Bluegills? Walleyes? Pike? Carp? You can have all the record carp you want.

The chance of a private lake producing a trophy game fish is very small, mostly due to the fact that large game fish need alot of food and habitat. A bass or panfish might be the exception since they can survive in warmer, smaller ponds. If your further down south where the growing season is longer and you don't get winterkills you might be able to get a big fish out of a small pond if you keep it fed.

Up here where we live it is the pipe dream of finding a small untapped lake that has been closed off and you and maybe a couple buddies get to fish it and have the time of your life. For the most part it is just a dream for 99.9% of us though. If you can make it happen, all the power to ya.