Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fever

Maple

8 posts in this topic

Well after one full week, I haven't received ANY replies to my question on Maple lake so I figured I'd drive the hour up there and explore. Well, Sunday was very very slow. Fished from 9am to 3:45pm. Between myself and another, 4 bass total along with 5 pike. Largest bass was about 13 inches. Don't really know where to start. We tried docks but the weeds basically choked off the dock bite. Need a heavy weight to punch through the weeds but with the heavy weight you can't skip under a dock very well. Plus, alot of the docks are sitting shallow. Deep end about 16 inches or so. Tried deeper weed edges with DT's and spinner baits, just pike. Where are the bass in this lake? On sunday weather might have been beautiful, (83, no clouds, awsome day) but not so beautiful for fishing. Topwater bite (non existant), spinnerbaits... Pike, cranks... pike... What gives? Water is clear and there was alot of boat traffic. Any pointers on this one? Thanks for any help fellow FM members. confused.gif

Maple can be a tough bass lake. There are a bunch of tournies held on Maple, at least one per week, as a matter of fact I have a tourney their tonight.

With all the fishing pressure on Maple I believe it makes for a tough lake to fish. Sounds like you did everything right but have had the same results I have had on Maple.

I look for deep, deep weed lines and fish very very slow. If you think you are fishing slow then slow down even more. I believe that Maple is a lake where patience is a key to finding fish.

I have heard that Maple is a great fall lake. So you may want to give the lake a try some time in late September and October.

Deep, deep weedlines... Are you thinking 15 plus feet. I thought of that but ran out of time. I'll try the Carolina rig or maybe some deep diving cranking. I'll have to study that map again. I guess I didn't know it received that much pressure. Good to know. Thanks Dan and good luck tonight. Post results if you get a moment. Later

Fever cool.gif

I'll go opposite of Dan although he is absolutely correct. They are deep, however I'd fish scumfrogs. I'm a shallow kind of guy (more ways than one) and have a hard time whenever I have to use my depthfinder!

I heard there was a good frog bite going on! I was a dollar late on that one Monday night!

Ole cool.gif

Dan and ole are both right. You can have 2 different bites go at the same time. I fish shallow early in the morning working my way deeper as the day goes on. Moss Mouse is my go-to bait for floating weeds. Fever said some docks are weed choked. If the wind has blown into the docks for a couple days they may hold a big fish or two. I have caught 3-4lb bass where the wind has stacked up the weeds near shore. The deep bass can be the hard to fish, if you have pike in the same areas. Jig-n-pig and worm rigs are great on deep weedlines. Bad thing is you may catch a walleye while fishing bass.

since when is catching a walleye a bad thing? cool.gif

wink.gif

When Bass are worth money I guess... Tournaments...