Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sartell Angler

Nighttime Cats on the 'Sip

12 posts in this topic

Flowage Tamer and myself made it down to our spot on the river (about 2 minutes from our house) last night and ended up with 17 fish in just two hours of fishing. Between reeling in fish, retying, and rebaiting it was tough to find the time to drink enough beer!

The fish ranged from about 2 pounds to Tealtime's largest which was about 8 or 9, with most fish weighing in at about 3 or 4 pounds. I did win the competition with 9 fish to his 8. We were fishing with dead shiner minnows and they worked great!

Here are a couple pics--Tealtime is in the 1st (looks a little possessed, I think he was smashed) and I'm in the 2nd (need another beer). Enjoy.

Summerof2006045.jpg

Summerof2006047.jpg

Sartell Angler

Nice fish, seems like no one really likes catfish on this forum. I have been doing pretty good at night for the cats too. Most fish coming in shallow fast water off frogs, crawlers and cut-bait.

I'll post some pics When I have some time and am not at work.

Great post! ooo.gif

thanks for the posts guys! I was beginning to think nobody was interested in catfish...I love my smallmouth (especially with this year being my first with a flyrod) but you just can't beat the action that cats provide when every other fish gets lockjaw.

I've got a BWCA trip coming up in a couple weeks, then it is time to hunt for me (doves, geese, ducks, pheasants)all the way until the new year. Still hope to get out for bass and cats a couple more times before Sept. though.

I'll watch for the pics BigMusk, and don't let being at work stop you grin.gif

SA/wdw

Sartell Angler,

Did you grow up in Sartell? Just wondering because I did and I didn't really recognize you from your photo with the cat. I'm thinking I'm a few years older than you (I graduated from SHS in '99).

Nice cats, by the way. I never started fishing for cats until I moved away, but I wish I would have started earlier. Might have to give it a shot when I'm up at the folks some time.

Hey Sartell if your ever interested in taking out a rookie cat fisher let me know we usually top out at about 3 lbs below the scsu (Contact Us Please). I've never tried to fish for cats but I would love to get into some of the ones you have pics of. I'll bring the coors light you bring the spot.

Gentalmen, Here are my night time Cats on the Sippi pics

Here is me with a typical upper Miss channel

p1010218dv5.jpg

Double headers are common.

p1010210mh8.jpg

The Engineer gets a nice Cat

p1010206cm1.jpg

Late night double, Jackson with a cat and Patty-Taps with a Carp

p1010222ep9.jpg

Not the best way to hold a Cat blush.gif

p1010203rb0.jpg

Jackson gets another one.

p1010219ff7.jpg

p1010220nk7.jpg

The Bonus Bass

p1010229xb3.jpg

Here is one of my biggest of the season. I look pissed because he was biting me pretty hard grin.gif

p1010225he6.jpg

Ouch. How do your fingers feel? I keep my finger out of channel cats mouths.

Ralph, those guys bite pretty good. My thumbs have been permanantly scuffed up for a couple of months now. The bigger ones arn't as bad because you can get your whole hand in and keep the mouth open. Lipping the cats makes for good facial expressions in the pictures.

Hartner, I would be willing to take you out. I fish around the Monticello area. Shoot me an email if you are interested tipt0007 @ gmail . com

Ralph Wiggum/ Bielat- Yeah I graduated in '03 so you were already done when I started high school. I recognize your name though...football and/or wrestling, plus were you friends with Jeanne Traut? Her brother and I have been good friends since 4th grade and I thought I remember him saying something about you cutting off part of your finger...let me know.

Hartner- might have to take you up on that sometime. My email address is indy500as@hotmail.com Might be able to get out a couple more times before hunting season arrives (along with school).

take care

SA/wdw

Yup, you nailed it. Friend of Brian's, huh? Now I'm feeling old. LOL, and it was a thumb, not a finger grin.gif Small world.

haha cool.gif