Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
matthothand

st. louis bonus fish!

18 posts in this topic

Just thought I'd share a pic of a bonus muskie I picked up today on the river while fishing for eyes. I had just got my rig back up to the boat and as I lifted it out of the water a nice ski cruised on by. I immediately tossed back in the water and WHAM! Fish on! About 13 minutes later my wonderful girlfriend made an amazing swoop and lift with the miniature net I had on board it was a done deal. I was very proud of the toss I made towards the fish and glad that I was able to get the fish into the boat with 6 lb line and a size 6 gami.

44 inches

weddingandmuskie044hx8.th.jpg

Matt,

Congrats on the bonus Muskie. Did you have any luck with Walleyes at all today? Again nice work that thing must have put up a bit of a fight.

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

That pick sure dont look like the Matthothand I know.BD110 is it the same guy?

Nice fish though.

Glad to see he held that fish out for the photo it looks like he was going to fall in?? Good job matt but we would like to see the lady friend?? I missed that shot well good job....

Awsome fish for 6lb test! Its possibly a line class record, you should check.

Northlander,

I had to look at it a couple of times. But that is the one and only matthothand.

Tom (BD110)

Very nice!

No way the guy in the pic looks 45 and balding. Plus I know Matt couldnt hold a fish that big with 1 hand! grin.gifblush.gif

Was the fish released? Considering the water temps, the long fight time, and the vertical hold the fish may as well have been kept as its survival chances are very minimal at best.

Anyway, great fish and a good story. Those muskies sure do get the adrenanlin pumping.

I just talked to a muskie guy who is a good friend he told me he will not fish them do to how warm it is.... I would love to fish for them on the river my self but with the warm water I will not... But in matt case he found one fishing for WALLEYE well it happens nice fish matt and glad to see you still can find some fish. I hope the next photo we see is of your girl friend and her fish.

I agree with you. Once the surface temps get above 80 degrees it is no longer safe to fish muskies. It is never safe to fish them without a net big enough to keep them in the water while unhooking and a gear strong enough to land them quickly.

There has also been a lot of debate over the vertical hold, and it has been shown to be a death sentence to large fish. This is something that has to be passed on to anyone who plans on releasing their catch.

Matt congrads on the nice muskie! Did you release it or is it going on the wall?

SK he does kinda look like hes about to fall out but it does make the fish look 55" instead of 44" wink.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

Considering the water temps, the long fight time, and the vertical hold the fish may as well have been kept as its survival chances are very minimal at best.

I missed the vertical hold. Pic I see is mostly horizontal. Ahh, I see it now; the avatar pic.

What's the deal steve? ...you don't think I'm capable of catching a fish of that size? And yes I am starting to bald at the ripe old age of 22, not 45.

The vertical hold- To be completely honest I was so caught up in the moment and forgot about the risks of holding large fish vertically, though I was concerned with getting it back into the water pronto. The hook was out as soon as it had it's head in the net and probably wasn't out of water more than 15 seconds. Also, the DNR watched the whole thing as they were approaching for a license check. They witnessed the hookup, fight, quick pictures and measurement, and successful energetic release.

We were only out for two hours and boated a few kitty cats right off the bat and a 13 inch walleye. Overall, a successful day.

Below is my fishing partner hanging out by her favorite body of water...the pool.

s5030250go3.th.jpg

Wade, I've got a link to an article of a 53 incher on 6lb line. Not sure if that is a current record but i did find on the IGFA site that as of 2002 that catch of mine would've made it for minnesota. After looking this stuff up it's amazing to see vacancies for certain line classes. I really think I'm going to stick with light gear and possibly pursue a few line class records. The game plan for the trip to algoma in a few weeks is when/if we get close to the limit were gonna run bass rods with 8 lb line and try to land a big king. Might as well fight a fish for a few hours after the morning bite moves out.

Here's a 54" sturgeon I caught years ago on the St. Croix River with 6 lb XL.

sfish009bf6.th.jpg

BD110 with a big pike from an FM trip to URL a couple seasons ago. Tom, correct me on this but I think it was caught on a swedish pimple and noodle rod spooled with 4 lb test?? I wanna say Paul or someboady measured it out at 36" or 37" ???

sfish018mf2.th.jpg

Where on the Croix?

Within a mile of the mouth of the sunrise river. Roughly 15 miles or so upstream from the taylors falls dam. We were fishing cats but had one rod out for eyes and sure enough the sturgeon bit on the walleye rig.

Why doesnt anyone care when a walleye gets held vertical? grin.gif

Just ribbing ya M.S. I know why.

If Sundays event gets shot due to wind Ill be on the river. No matter what happens we all need to be at Rices Landing at 5pm.