Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slick2526

are remingtons known to rust?

8 posts in this topic

I just bought my new 11-87 premier about 2 weeks ago. i took it a part and clean it with rem oil and the other rem stuff i dont remember the name of off hand.

well neways when i first recieved my gun it looked like it had some light surface rust on the magazine tube and on the top of the magazine tube where the cap screwed on. I also found some on the front and back of the bolt where the firing pin is.

i didnt think much of it since it came off easily the first time i cleaned my gun. well i was curious to see if it showed back up again so i decided to take my gun apart again. sure enough more some what rust looking colored deposits on my magazine tube and where the cap screws onto the magazine tube.

Accept this time i cant get it to come off. Is this rust? or what is it? some type of oxidation of the two different types of metals touching?

Im just wondering because this doesnt make me happy at all. I havent even shot my shotgun yet. and i wipe it down with a silicone rag every time im done looking at it.

Do you think i should write remington about this? Or is this just common? I guess ihave never had any other gun that has done this before. I have never owned a remington either.

any suggestions appreciated guys. thanks

This is very common if the gun was stored at the factory or in the store in a damp place. They come with a healthy layer of grease on them, but that doesn't cover everything. Those boxes they are stored in don't keep moisture out at all. Are you storing the gun in a basement or other place where the humidity changes a lot? I have found the best protection is healthy dose of oil, and an enclosed gun cabinet with a humidity/heat stick in it to keep the temp up and the humidity down.

If the gun is new I would try and take it back and exchange it for a new one. If they do the exchange for you make sure to look the new one over very well before leaving the store with it.

Blackduck- No i didnt store it in a basement or anything. it was in my room out of the fabric gun case laying on a cleaning mat. i left it out for i could see if anymore rust showed up in any other spots. it just came back where it already was.

I would without a doubt contact Remington in regards to replacing the gun.You paid for a new one not a rusted one.

Is it one of the guns that came from the Gander store that was flooded?

They were sold at deep discounts claiming they were completely reconditioned.

I bought my son an 870 Wingmaster a few years ago and for the first year I could not keep that thing from rusting. Treated the same as my other guns at first then had to go to special lengths on a weekly basis thru the season to keep rust under control. Now it doesn't seem to behave any different than my other guns, but for a while it was a problem

My 870 express which i have had for 12 years never had that problem. Its seen water many times.

Years ago my buddy's all had the Rem's for duck hunting. They tore them apart every night after the hunt and rubbed them down and cleaned them and dried them out for the next morning. They told me it was to keep them from rusting. Not sure why a new one would come that way. Call them up and take it back and see what they say. If the retailer does not seem helpful then contact Remington. They should stand behind their products.