Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trainman

Detroit series

22 posts in this topic

Big series coming up at Detroit. I hope Liriano is ready to go. Mike Smith did pretty average today. We need to somehow claw our way ahead into the wildcard standings. Detroit just won 3 games by 1 point. Twins hitting is pretty hot right now. Let's see what happens!!

I hope that was the last time we see Mike Smith. With his 89 mph fastball and no control. frown.gif Trade him to the royals. grin.gif Anyone and everyone hits the royals! It will be a fun series against Detroit. Hopefully we don't get crushed again...

I guess smith was more ready than Garza too?

I agree- big series agst the Tigers. Potential ALCS matchup, as first two games of this potential ALCS would be played in Detriot. But no bigger than when we play the W.sox and Red sox-- teams we play on the road in the future.

I think I like the Twins chances better on the road right now (won 8 in a row). If we can give Liranio a 2 run lead like the Tigers did for Miner 10 days ago-- I like our chances.

Sled --

I think they are more concerned about "freaking" Garza out getting him to the show early. Smith is not in furute plans, in my opinion.

BTW -- Bring up Garza -- Sink or swim pretty soon. cool.gif

Smith might have been more ready only becuase he might have hit the peak of his potential or closer to it then Garza. It will be a short career for him if this is true though.

I will give him a slight pass on yesterdays start, lots of nerves out there and it was crazy hot it sounded like.

I might give Smith one more start to give him an honest shot but then if it still goes the wrong way i would give Garza a call up regardless. I really thought between Baker, Boof and Smith they could find a guy to give them atleast a decent start every other start.

Garza should be up soon, I think the Twins are running out of options.

Should be fun. Like a couple weeks ago, if we win one, that keeps you guys fighting for the wild card, at best. Tigers do not need to treat it as any more important than a series agains KC or Cleveland. The only way we can get in any trouble at all would be if we get swept. Same as before, with our pitching, that shouldn't happen. Hope the Twins get the wild card, as that puts us agianst the West. You guys can have the Yankees first round. Good luck to you.

if we can get into the playoffs I would love a shot at the Yanks again. They have had our number in the playoffs but I think we are about due.

We have better all around pitching then they do and now we have some bats in our lineup that might make you sweat a little at times. No more of the punchless Twins. We can hit back now.

yes-- but if the White SOX win the W.c you still play the west. Only way you play the Yanks/Red Sox is if one of them wins the WC. I will remind you that Chicago Cubs in 1969 had a 8-10 game lead over the Mets in late Aug, with a winner % similar to what the Tigers have now, and won like 8 of their last 32games to finish way behind the Mets.

Not over till , till it's over.

Tyner getting doubled up in the 7th and Cuddies E in the bottom of the 7th killed the Twins. Rabe scores-- it's no longer Jesse Crain pitching the bottom half. Reyes or Rincon and your likely looking at different ending to the game.

Hope Lariano is OK. Clearly not the regular guy last night. 10 hits in four innings. Considering his age, don't you shut him down (DL) a while? Take no chances there. Our Verlander missed his last start. They're talking about a "tired shoulder," whatever that is. He has pitched more innings this year than any year in his life, and it's only early August. Those two are the future - can't take chances. Tigers have three more wins out of 112 games than the '84 Tigers had.

I agree with Liraino's arm.He did not have anything for them last night.It makes you wonder if they brought him back a little fast and just maybe the body needs a longer rest.Why ruin the future.He looked bad.

Anyone excited for tonight's game? Should be a great matchup. I just hope Santana is back to his old ways. He was bad last time against the Royals.

While we really have no chance of catching Detroit, taking the series from them in their park would do a lot for the confidence of the Twins. And every win helps us in the wild card.

It would be great if the Twins can pull out a win tonight. Bonderman got roughed up a bit by the Tribe in his last outing, so maybe that dreadful inning he had last weekend against the Twins shook him a bit.

Can't but help look forward to the weekend though. Halladay is pitching today for the Jays, so the Twins will get through the series without having to face him. Detroit is at Chicago as well.

Looks like an exciting finish for the wild card hunt.

WOW............it's like a dream.

JUSTIN "MOONSHOT" MORNEAU is da man!! Boy did that 2 run SHOT shut those Detroilet fans at the game right up. How sweet, right after Inge went two run bomb on Cy Santana. It was a great series... 2 out of 3 in Detroilet is good.

Very good 3 game set to watch and we picked up one game on Detroit with it so close everyone of the next 50 games will be important. Always great to have a team in the hunt and gives us fans something to do. Those guys must be having so much fun sitting in the dugout knowing that they are not out of any game. Sure do look like they are having fun after that blast!!!

M&M Boys STRIKE!!!!

Mauer BB was huge also-- but Morneau's shot is the most I have been excited with GOrdo going absoultely nuts since AJ's shot agst OAkland in 2002. This team really show's some guts--- your best pitcher, pitching a a heck of game- gives up the lead on a 2-run shot and the home crowd goes nuts in the bot7. -- Most teams this year agst the tigers- roll over. But the Twins responded like champs. Great relief from Reyes-Rincon and Nathan. WOW!!! Too me-- it's the Twins biggest win of the year.

Muddy

I hope Tiger fans don't "shut-up." It was a great series. Our guy made a bad pitch. It's location, location, location, with a 100 mph fastball. If in a good hitters wheelhouse (that one was) they go out at least as fast as they come in. Zumaya is a rookie. That is not the first, or even the second, big home run he has given up. He is still learning. Thought we had you when Inge hit his. Both teams have had many late inning rallies. Sure is fun. Good luck to you. I do hope you make the playoffs. Don't like Chicago. You're better than Boston. I do fear the Yankees.

Classy post RJ! I'd love to get back to Detroit in October. grin.gif

If you look back through RJ's posts, you'll notice a very similar tone in all of them. It's always a pleasure to read his posts...they're always competitive, yet very good natured and knowledgeable. Thanks, RJ!

Great series!!!

I agree with you about RJ's posts- love to read them- sensible, down to earth, great fan to discus bb with.

100 mph fastballs don't leave the yard very often, nomatter where they are though. 75 mph change-ups however will leave the yard very often when left in the middle of the plate, like Santana did to Inge. My "in-laws" are Tiger fans, so I have a little more incentive for the Twins to do well against them.( some of them are not as sensible a fan as RJ) grin.gif The rest of the year should be interesting!!!!!!!!!