Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scotteye

Fall Fishing Help...

6 posts in this topic

Hello- I've never fished Lake of the Woods in the fall, but I'm going to plan a trip to Borderview Lodge in September. It would be the in-laws and wife, so I would love to get into some fish. Would mid Sept. be better than the end of Sept.? Also, typically how is the fishing this time of year. I have heard the later the better, but I'm looking for your advise! Also, our jigs the way to go?

Thanks- Scott

I'd pick later September over earlier for sure iffin you wanna try and get in on that Jiggin bite. Usually around the 3rd week in September before the Shiners start showing up in any real numbers. Usually still an openwater trolling bite going on, and/or a rock bite on the mainlake thru September too so it kind of is up to how you may wanna fish them also maybe.

fiskyknut

My experience is the later into the fall the better the bite, especially in the River. Mid to late September the fish will more than likely out in the lake, staging for a run into the river.

We usually do a grouse hunt/river fishing trip all in one day in late September. We always seem to catch fish in the river that time of year, but the fish are usually smaller and it's a slower bite.

If you could plan your trip for Mid to late October, that's the time for Great Fall Fishing!

End of September, through October, and into November; Morris Point, 12-18 FOW cant go wrong. Jig n a shiner.

September is pretty early to expect fish in the river

in big numbers. The lake is a different story. The

fish are moving in and holding in the mid range depths.

It would a perfect time to learn to pull crankbaits either

long lining or lead core.

The jig/minnow bite starts going in Oct after the first

couple of cold snaps and the Shiners start running

Thanks guys for the tips, and due to the tips, I am going to go up in the middle of October. Any additional tips would be great.