• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good ole days

Bobby Bass

Is it just me? But I can remember when a bottle of coke was 10 cents and there was a deposit on the bottle. I can remember going to the store and buying a loaf of bread, half a gallon of milk, not one but two big time candy bars and still get change back from my dollar. When a dollar would get me a punch card good enough to go to ten Saturday morning movies and on the tenth punch I got a free box of Dots candies. When fancy name brand jeans were four dollars. When a doz. Night crawlers for 25 cents was just plain highway robbery! When a scoop of minnows was really two scoops and you had to tell them that was to many. When a four room apartment with water/lights and heat was 65.00 When you could buy the current big sellers in paperback for 95 cents. When a half dozen of the best sweet rolls from the bakery were 50 cents right from the oven. When you could get five hamburgers for a dollar. When Thursday before payday came and you still had money left over from your last paycheck. Talk about a cheap date, you could go to a Dukes baseball game, have two hot dogs, two boxes of cracker jacks and two cokes for a dollar. Of course I also remember earning 85 cents an hour working in a movie theater and when I got a raise to a dollar it was a big deal..

My point being everything has gone up over the years, From milk to bread to the price of bait. I can remember working at a gas station and pumping gas for .17 and I had to check oil, wash windows and even check air in the tires. Those were the good old days. Just remember this.. Twenty years from now today will be considered the good old days..Instead of complaining try enjoying the good old days... I will now get off my peach crate and return to cutting coupons so I can save some money to spend on gas so I can go fishing..

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• genegodawa

• The Grebe

• Bobby Bass

• ocf

I make somewhere around 4 times the money I did in 1978 and I have less money for play things today than then, and I was raising kids then and they have left the house now frown.gif The biggest differences are insurances, Taxes and gas prices. It is those things that you can't do without that kill you.

I can also remember when my Dad would tell the teachers if I "got outta hand, smack him a good one, then call me" Or getting a butt whoopin in a store for acting up and No-one saying a word.

I remember my Dad filling his car for 5 bucks and Complaining about it.

I remember getting smacked on the back of the hand with a ruler by the teacher....

I used to always love getting a coke in the little bottle from the machine that you pulled them outta the rack after swinging open the tall skinny door on the right side of the machine..............

I remember standing in line at the Riverview theater in South Mpls. over an 1 hour (1st or 2nd row seating was a must) for the Saturday afternoon movies. $.25 got you 2 color cartoons, a three stooges short film and the latest western (Lone Ranger, Hopolong Cassidy or Roy Rogers) feature movie with about 200 other screaming kids. Another $.30 got you a large pop and popcorn.

Also Spending summer weeks at Grandma's house in Balsam Lake, Wi. Only 2 blocks to the town beach starting at 9am. Back to the house for lunch when the noon whistle blew. Lay down for 1 hour (Because grandma said you'd get the cramps and drown if you didn't wait) then back in the water by 1:30pm. Home for dinner when the 5pm whistle blew and then about twice a week go to the town baseball game. Catching a fowl ball and bringing it back to the umpire would get you $.05, just enough for a cherry phosphate at the Anderson drug store on main street. I wish I could have grown up in that town.

Driving to school in 1966 and '67. Gas at the M&H station on Hiawatha & Lake Street was about $.21 per gallon and $2.50 would fill the '57 Chevy. The partime grocery carryout job paid $.45 per hour plus tips. (Never over $.10) By 1969 gas was getting close to $.35 and my dad would declare the world was going to he##.

Someone's got to invent a real time machine.

BB, good post. I remember seining minnows instead of buying them. Staying out all day with my folks and sleeping on a life jacket by the front seat when I got tired. A coke or a candy bar were 5 cents. Cedar strip boat with no motor and dad rowed everywhere we went. When dad got his first outboard, we towed about three boats out to the sand bar and back to the cabins every day. Kerosene stove, lights, and heater, and of course the out house. I fished with a hand line back in those days as I was young and lost interest easily. I also remember the milk out of those old thermos bottles always tasted like coffee. The good old days have a lot of good memories for me and I hope that someday my son will say the same thing about these good old days. I would truly hate to have to live my life the way young people do nowadays. My son doesn't own a watch or an alarm clock, he has a cell phone. Doesn't own a camera, he has a cell phone. If ya took the cell phone away, I think he would stay in bed all day because he would be afraid to face the big bad world with out the darn thing. Makes me wonder what the world will be like when these are the good old days. shocked.gifconfused.gifgrin.gif

What about when you could pop the hood on the car, and see your spark plugs?

Or when people would actually change their own oil?

Back when an auto-mechanic had to rely on trial, errror, and knowledge to fix a car rather then a plug in computer that details what to do when P-177-R comes onto the screen.

What about when people payed cash or wrote checks at the store?

Or when buying a car with financing took 2 weeks for the committee to meet and vote on your loan approval? Or whaen buying a car with financing required eye contact and a handshake?

Remember when cutting the grass didn't make smog, noise, or use gas?

When color TV was a "big deal".

The neighbor bought his kid an Atari for Christmas. Wow. How could they afford it?

Then came the VCR. You were a status in the neighborhood if you had a VCR.

What about the guy who had an 8 track in his car? Wow.

Then some joker made me look poor when he installed a garage door opener. Pissed me off, my TV went bonkers everytime he opened it.

Phones used to have cords on them and rotary dials.

Now you tell the phone to call "Buddy" and Ralph is on the other end; he knows it's you by the ring of the phone.

What was that show...Nightrider...the guys car talked.

My truck talks, it even knows my name...and knows where I am.

whew.

But we don't have a cure for AIDS or Cancer yet.

Quote:

What about when people payed cash or wrote checks at the store?

People still pay cash. Checks are a thing of the past, thank goodness, what a financial security nightmare. 2 weeks waiting for a check to clear, check 21 helped bring that down to about 3 days but that is alot of limbo time for a bad check. Other places chose to convert checks over electronically to speed up the time and eliminate the bad checks. Use a check card it faster and more secure, not to mention the convienience.

Some more:

When you were sick the doctor came to your house.

With a note you could buy a pack of smokes for you parents.

Household trash was burned in a barrel in the back yard.

Fall leaves were burned in the street.

The milkman delivered twice a week to the back door.

When dad brought REAL lawn furtilizer home from the farm everyone on the block knew it.

You went to the neighbors farm to buy your eggs.

Every boy had a slingshot or a beanshooter.

At age 10 Grandpa would let you drive the car on the dirt roads if you didn't tell Grandma.

Grandpa leaving the boat chained to a tree at the public landing was not a problem.

Rowing with oars.

Catching sunfish with cane poles.

Playing marbles at school recess.

Air raid drills in school. (Hide under your desk)

Watching Marty O'Neil and "All Star Wrestling" Sat. night.

Sunday noon dinner at home while "Swanny" played his magic organ on TV. (An organ was a musical instrument then).

Watching at least 2 western shows on tv each night.

Mom getting upset because Jane (Tarzan movies) was almost naked. (Too much tv!)

Man, I can remember EVERYTHING mentioned here! I can remember my sister taking me to the Empress theater on Broadway...15 cents to get in!

Kerosene lamps

Fuel stoves and fuel oil drums in the back yard

Sheenies comming down the unpaved cinder alleys, pulling their carts, collecting rags and scrap metal

Gillet Friday Night Fights

Verne Gagne with hair

Horse drawn fruit wagons pulled down the street

Joe Greenstien gave away free pumpkins to the kids at Holloween, from his market on Plymouth Ave.

I can remember riding the street cars down 7th street into downtown mpls

Kids had BB guns and they weren't considered deadly weapons

We had sling shots made with red rubber inner tubes, the best you could get, much better then the black rubber.

I remember when there wasn't such a thing as a radial tire

I guess that if I kept at it, I could come up with all kinds of things that have changed over the years..a couple more here, I can remember that once you hit what is now 57th ave. N. and Lyndale ave., you were in the country!

Way, way before Coon Rapids Dam was a regional park, my dad used to pay the farmer that owned the land and lived right next to the river, 25 cents to park for a day of fishing.

Boy, to this point, it's been a good trip...I think I'll keep going and see what other changes occur! grin.gif

Drive in theaters

A&Dubs root beer served in a frosty mug

A bag of chips for a nickel(about the size of the $.99 bag now).

shoveling coal, stoking the coal furnace.

Sting ray bikes

Teachers could actually hit kids, personal experience shocked.gif

I remember smelting in the Duluth area as a kid and you would get a dip net full on every scoop when they were running.

When every boy had at least one shiner

When the owner of the local filling station filled your car with gas, checked your oil and washed your windshield

When mom was home after school

When we used to have to ride our bikes to baseball with your gloves slung through the handle bars

When nobody knew what soccer was

When bikes only had one speed

When Zebco 202 reels were cool

When the curfew whistle blew at 10pm

When you had to patch your own bike tire

When you could get a frosty mug of A&W Root Beer

When a family of seven would squeeze into a a small 4-door sedan

When the family would go on Sunday drives in the back of the truck

When your dad bought beer in a white can that had a black BEER label on it.

When you didn't need to be invited to drop by and visit people.

When hot summer days were not caused by global warming

Keep em coming. This was a great post and I am enjoying every ones memories of the past.

When you could buy a 6 pack of Cold Spring Beer for 79 cents, and they would throw in a couple of "Church Keys" for nothing.

When a pull tag was that small metal tab you would pull off the top of a beer can to open it.

When you would buy a 5 cent popsicle (grape, orange, cherry) and try to break it parallel with the sticks, only to have it break horizontal. Remember when bannana flavor first came?

When you would bush you teeth with Colgate "Tooth Powder"

When you got a tooth filled at the dentist, using a drill with a series of pulleys. At times I thought I saw smoke come out of the mouth.

When you didn't snap your 4 bucket overshoes and you took off running and the right buckel hooked the left buckel, with you ending up with a face full of ice and snow.

Very fun to read the posts. I can not add alot as many things mentioned were well before my tim.

I do remember .99 gas

collecting bottles to return for .5 or .10

Mcdonalds burgers being .25

bubsdaddy bubble gum for like .5

gumballs for a penny.

Indian head nickles

.10 cent stamps

Pro athlets having to work a part time job during the summer

Renting boats on lakes and dad draffing out the old 15 horse Merc.

No wars (Of course Clinton was running the show then and was a true world leader)

And yes hot, hot summer days that were just hot because it was well hot...

Spending summers at the farm detasling corn, walking beans, and drinking out of a bucket. Dad thought it was a great way to learn about hard work. I don't know exactly what I learned other then it was hard work and low pay and I best get a good education as that was not what I wanted to do.

Ice cold bottles of pop at a small town cafe.

VCR's the size of a house.

phones with cords that you actually had to dial

Party lines on the phone where when you tried to make a call someone else may be on the line or listening to your calls.

fishing with cane poles and yes a Zebco 202 was way cool...

Pond fishing for carp with corn and catching monsters with the zebco 202 and 20 pound wire line.

Just a few more that come to mind, since I seem to have started something here.

Riding a bike without a helmet

Riding a bike with sissy bars and a banana seat

Mixing the color in to the oleo margarine

Paying extra for the sugar cone at Bridgemen's

Humming that dang my bologna has a first name it o-s-c-a-r-

Searching for a radio station at sundown and being able to find WGN

Zebco 202's how about US 76's

Metal fishing baskets at the hardware store covered in 10 cents spoons

Having the entire football team drink from the same water bottles

PF Flyers

J.C.Higgens three speed bikes

Clinton air cooled outboard motors.

Rocky Teller Sports

Hamms Beer on tap!

Pop machines that look like ice chests that you had to work the bottle from side to side.

BR-549

Raquel Welch in 1 million BC ahhhhh

Here's a few more...

Indoor toilet with with a pull chain

Old Sears and Roebuck catalog for toilet paper

Black and white T.V. with a kinda round screen about 12 inches and weighed about 600 pounds!

Ice for the ice box being delivered by a guy with a rubber apron, tongs, and huge forearms

Milk being delivered by the milkman

Hot water radiator heat

Frost on the walls and a pile of quilts to keep you warm

Listening to the championship fights on the radio

Brylcreme and duck tails

In the good old days every kid had a buck knife and we carried them everywhere even in school.

I brought my first 12 guage to school to show my shop teacher.

Dad taught me gun safety telling me if I ever pointed a gun at anyone he would bend it around my neck.

We would go fishing on Sunday afternoons after church, never before.

There were enough kids on each street for each to have a baseball team.

We walked to baseball, football and basketball practice.

Belonging to the Boy Scouts was mandatory.

My first car had a 396 and gas was 25.9.

Birth control was fear.

geez i missed out on lots of good stuff but growin up in a small town i di get some things

huge fourth of july shows (small town fourth of july city, usa)

walkin everywhere

free bowling games every other days

bottlerockets

goin to the pool everyday

everyone is sunburnt in the town

everyone knows everyone

Ok, some of you guys are starting to sound like my Grandpa!

I can't remember when Kennedy was shot because I was concieved right after that.

I remember when the president came on for the state of the union address it was on every channel.

I remember when kids weren;t required to be in car seats.

I remember cars whith no seat belts.

I remember moms hair dryer and curling iron was big box with a hose and a large bag type thing she put over her head full of curlers.

I remember getting a haircut with my dad and his included a shave with a straight razor. I never saw the babrber use siccors, always the clippers. Men had hair like men, women went to the beauty salon.

I rememeber working on cars with 9 wires and 4 hoses. Gapping points and checking timing.

I remember putting playing cards on my bike with a clothspin so the spokes made an engine like sound as you rode it.

Wade I must be about the same age as you. Here are a few I can recall:

Walking or Taking the bus downtown for a dime at age 10 with a few friends and seeing movies at the Skyway or Downtown world.

Collecting stamps and buying stamps at the counter on Dayton's fourth floor.

Catching snapping and soft-shelled turtles in Lake of the Isles.

Catching really nice sized sunfish and bass off the beds on Isles with our Zebco 202's.

Catching nice walleye off shore of Lake Harriet in May.

Catching big northerns casting off shore of Calhoun in October.

Nobody but a few kids fishing the city lakes and adults walking by asking: "are there any fish in these lakes?"

Clear water and no floating moss or milfoil in any of the city lakes.

Ice fishing with a hatchet to open holes or a dull spoon auger.

Wood Bass-orenos, Lazy Ikes, Hula Poppers, Hellbenders, Spoon Plugs, braided line and Fenwick Lunker Sticks.

Going to the grand opening of the 94 tunnel by Loring Park with friends and then walking home after dark.

Playing in the street every day with a big group of kids.

Building forts.

Playing war and using sticks for guns.

Eating mulberry's while sitting on a friend's slate garage roof.

Driving at night in the Ford station wagon with my brothers and I laying in the back and looking out at the stars - never any seatbelts.

Watching 5 channels instead of hundreds, and shows like Casey Jones, Star Treck, Mission Impossible, Hogan's Heroes, The Mod Squad, Horror Incorporated, Mell Jazz, and All-Star Wrestling on TV hosted by Mean Gene Okerland. At the end of the night there was a test pattern, and the broadcast day started with the national anthem with a flag and jet fighter backdrop.

Dad having Vikings season tickets every year. It always seemed to be cold or snowing, and of coarse the games were played outside.

Not as old as some, but here are a few of mine:

Mom's metal hair dryer looking like a nosecone from an Apollo space capsule.

Extended forks on that bike with the sissy bar and banana seat.

Getting a hand brake for the above bike was a big deal!

When the neighbor kid's dad would take his homemade roadster out of the garage and take the neighborhood kids for rides up and down the street with open headers and slicks.

10' cane poles and worms worked just fine.

The wood paneling on the side of Dad's station wagon.

Entertaining ourselves when we got bored:

Playing hockey in the streets with a tennis ball, summer or winter.

(Yelling Game ON! & Game OFF! when the cars needed to get through.)

Playing baseball in the street because there was no park nearby.

Making snow forts out of the plow piles near the street (no one ever got plowed under or collapsed on.)

There was enough snow piled up every winter along the garage to allow 10 year olds to walk up the pile onto the roof and jump back off into the soft spot (back when we used to have real winters in MN.)

Sliding down the hill with the rest of the neighborhood kids was a contact sport. (Can't do that nowdays, someone could get hurt.)

Grandma's horn rimmed glasses and plastic covered furniture/lamps.

Grandpa sneaking you a sip of his peppermint Schnapps when Mom wasn't looking.

The only Christmas lights available had those huge bulbs!

When the latest bass fishing technique was casting a bucktail jig and a sucker minnow.

Cutting holes for ice fishing with a spud bar.

Knowing a chisle is called a spud bar.

Wood paneling.

Red and black shag carpet.

Hand pumping water at the cabin.

When my folks got their first vehicle with A/C!

I can remember quite a few of the things mentioned above. I also had to listen to my Dad say things like:

We had to use magazines for shinn pads when we played hockey

I walked to school 4 miles away .... uphill both ways confused.gif

You've got it so easy

When I was your age I was working fulltime. ( 10 yrs old )

We use to have to take heated bricks to bed in the winter to stay warm.

There are many others... lets hear what your parents use to say to you. ( Besides "Wait till you Father gets home" )

Nick

my mom tried to pin me down with the metal spoon with the slots in it and then tell me to hold still...yeah right...looking back I should have sat still, I had to deal with dad after mom hitting me all over but the target area (buttocks). I can imagine the site...an octopuss with a slotted metal spoon going nucking futs cause her child would not sit still.. I am actually laughing outloud right now.

I did not dare complain, besides, I had a feeling I probably deserved it. It still makes me laugh at times...bawl like a baby other times. grin.gif

Archer;

Mabe our dads went to school together, 'cause mine made the same 4 mile double uphill walk in the dark. He also said he hand milked 30 cows before going to school and had to beat the fence with a stick to keep the wolves away. On the way home in the winter he walked the train tracks picking up about 25 pounds of spilled coal so he could have a hot dinner and sleep in a warm bed.

i had to walk up hill both ways!!! ( course there was a valley in between!! grin.gif) and it was only a mile! i got in on the last two years of country school before they closed them all down.building tunnels and forts in the hay mow.( til one collapsed in on DAD !!

i remember being told! "JUST WAIT TIL YOU HAVE KIDS"!!!! OMG!! it is so true!!!

Quote:

Sliding down the hill with the rest of the neighborhood kids was a contact sport. (Can't do that nowdays, someone could get hurt.)

What??? hurt??? ok maybe your right some kids got broken noses goin off this ramp last year, i used to stand up on my sled and i had some nasty wipe outs

Geeze, I thought getting hurt once in a while was part of the deal when I was a kid?

Of all things, we used to have rock fights! It would last until someone got a rock in the head, which usually left a big bloody, purple and blue knob.

We also ingaged in BB gun fights once in awhile...this always got someones folks involved, but you never heard of anyone getting sued...maybe have someones big brother kick your butt, or someones dad shake you by the arm, but never any law suits.

We also used to shoot green apples at each other with our sling shots....same deal, usually lasted until someone got hit.

Once we bet my younger brother he wouldn't get into a 50 gallon drum and roll down this big hill, off Glenwood Ave., over by Fruens Mill. He did and ended up in Bassetts Creek with about 50 holes punched into him...we didn't think of the burrs on the inside of the drum where someone had punched some holes!

We used to hop freight trains, shoot pidgeons for the hobos with our sling shots, smoke corn silk we got from the farmers market, and raid gardens...everything was better then, all the fruits and vegetables were excellent.

It was also darker way back when, not as many lights around and I think we all had better night vision.

We would play hide and seek, kick the can, pom pom pullaway, dodge ball, and a bunch I can't even remember.

This is a good walk down this road! Makes me smile about things long past and it makes me feel good for having been there! smile.gif When I read some of the other posts, it brings back memories of my own, of things I haven't thought about in many, many years.