• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gas Prices

Mr. Pike1

Expect another price increase soon.

Heard on the radio some oil company (BP??) is going to close a pipeline for maintenance/repair. It'll drop output by 400,000 barrels per day.

It's probably not that much in the big picture, but it'll probably be as good a reason as any for the price to go up more.

They are saying a 10.00 increase of crude oil prices today because of hole in the pipeline.I am sure when they get the hole repaired the price will drop ten dollars.This is a real scam.Up when broken and not down when repaired.Nothing to do with supply and demand,everything to do with greed.They have a new excuse each week and the profits go up.Lets call a spade a spade.

Just think if the farmers could control the grain market like the oil companies do,bread would be 10 dollars a loaf and milk would be 15.oo a gallon.No,I am not a farmer.

In regards to the stations all selling for the same amount per gallon.Yes the cost to them is almost the same for non company owned stores.The state has a minumum you have to mark your gas up or you will be fined for selling for less.A friend of mine owns a station and he is making no more per gallon than my father did 25 years ago.The gas stations are not the thieves here.You cannot mark your gas up higher than everyone else or you will sell nothing.It just takes one super pumper{company owned store} to keep the prices low.One day there will be only company owned super pumpers and then the oil companies will also own all the gas stations and that is not a good picture.The little guy is getting hosed.

Well I think this winter we need to do a little car pooling to the big pond. I know my truck can haul a few portables along with my 4-wheeler. I'd be happy to move peaple around if they are not biting etc.

Quote:

The only thing that keeps it in the ballpark is government subsidy.

A local Twin Cities television news recently did a report on the status of ethanol and its price. According to their report the amount of government subsidy is about $.20 per gallon. Here in Alexandria the price at the pump is about $.40 per gallon less than gasoline. Just thought I'd pass that along.

With all the talk about the record profits reaped by the oil companies, out of curiosity I thought I’d share a little bit about my situation.

This year is a challenge for farmers, especially in the central part of Minnesota where we are in the midst of the worst drought conditions in 20 years. I’ve been watching corn and soybeans literally dry up. While these crops are lost others have been doing quite well.

Wheat, especially for those that managed to sow their fields early, is producing very well around here. Because the winter wheat crop elsewhere in the country was so poor this spring the demand and subsequently the price offered for wheat right now is about the highest I have seen in the 15 years that I have been in the business, roughly 35% higher. This year I can expect to see a profit margin gain of about 174% over what has been typical for me in the past. In other words, what would have been a $1.00 profit in the past will be about $1.74 this year. This is taking into consideration the incresed fuel costs too. Imagine what my profit gain would be if fuel was still half the price like it has been over the past 15 years.

Am I supporting price gouging by accepting the price offered for my wheat? Will this define me as being in the same boat as one of those greedy, money-hungry oil companies? Note that I related this to fishing by using the word "boat". grin.gif

Bob

The difference here Bob is you dont decide how much you recieve for your crop as the oil companies can.I hope you get 5.00 corn and 10.00 beans.

It's become quite evident that you on the left will believe only the facts you want to believe while ignoring others. Some things I've read here; mad.gif

1. CEO's are all crooks. I know some who are great people and they happen to fish on the big pond next to the rest of us. What are people saying about people who are left handed? They are different than most of us.

2. Big Oil is corrupt, greedy, a scam and a monopoly. I'm guessing that most of the people who work for big oil (several thousand) would disagree that they are corrupt people.

3. Monopoly's & Subsidies if you are willing to take a big enough leap, you could call ANY industry a monopoly & you'll see subsidies for everything from Computers makers, Insurance, Auto makers, Builders, Construction, Unions, the list goes on and on. Guess what they ALL HAVE LOBBY'S in Washington. This is how business get done in the US in every industry. they protect their interests. Don't pigeon hole only the ones that make you mad.

Bottom line is that the costs of things (most things) will continue to increase over time. Not a difficult concept to grasp. I hope. It's not called having discretionary income to cover these costs, it's called anticipating and understanding that increased costs will always be a fact of life (what is you house worth today? why aren't you complaining about that?)and adjusting your lifestyle accordingly.

Everybody (myself included) spends money on things they could live without and we all live within a budget. The difference between me and some others on this site, is that I'M NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT NOT HAVING GAS MONEY AND THAT BIG OIL IS DRAMATICALLY CHANGING MY LIFE STYLE...

Just for fun, think about big oil (I'm scared just typing that. Ha Ha.) and then think about the cost of a Rapala over the last decade. Their CEO must be greedy. confused.gif

Welcome to reality.

Wallter (believe it or not, I'm a moderate independent)

JUST MY 712 CENTS...

smile.gif

I dont really care why they are saying the gas prices are going up this week.. if whatever didnt happen, they would have another excuse...

There is nothing I can do about the gas prices.. I will fish closer to home to compensate for them.. probably wont even remember what this prices are when the fishing rod is in my hand.

Face it, the price keeps going up and it never goes down... We are just little fish swimming in a pool of really big fish.

Walter- I do not blame the CEO for anything. The CEO of a publically traded company answers to the shareholders and the shareholders demand a return on their investment each quarter.

In a free market place of supply and demand prices are established by the market place and everyone in allowed to compete. What actually happens is in many cases as technology etc improves and multiple companies produce the "widget" in question the price may go down and the company that can not compete in that market place will drop out. Thus like in life the company or companies that does it the best will survive. However, again it is a free market place where anyone can compete.

Big oil is not. You or I can not open an oil company. It is and exclusive club and not a free market. In this exclusive club "Wallsrteet" is involved in creating a market value for crude oil (not supply and demand) it is bought at this price by only those who are allowed, big oil and then converted to fuel and mark up is set by those who control the market place.

Oh and yes oddly enough, low and behold there was an issue determined by big oil the pipelines have a problem and may impact up to 8% of the fuel. Now they could use some of that excess profit to cover making the fix and keep prices as is or....They could run this issue through the media, put a scare out there, and pass that cost on to the conumer. Jack up the price again and create more record profits for 3rd quarter earnings. What do you think in going to happen.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

Anyway it has been a very interesting read of posts and unfortunatlly none of us will solve this and do to are addiction on oil we will continue to show up each week for are fix at the locat station...

Quote:

There is no shortage of gas!!! Everytime we go to the gas pump there is just as much gast offered as there are computers. This not like the oil imbargo days.

This has more to do with a necessary comodity and greed than supply and demand.

And with all the mergers and buyouts there is no competition in the oil industry. This is exacltly why monopolies are typically against the law or they are regulated.

If India and China will pay $75 a barrel then we will have to match that price to get the oil we want. If we will only pay $50 a barrel to whom do you think they will sell it? Value of oil is determined by what people are willing to pay, not only us but the rest of the world as well.

When the oil companies raise the price it lowers demand and prevents shortages. Would you rather have $3 a gallon gas that is available or shortages at the pump of $2 a gallon gas?

One other thing, there is no such thing as a true monopoly without government involvement. What you are proposing is not a monopoly of the oil companies but rather a vast conspiracy.

Harvey,

I think that if farmers really wanted to they could have a lot more control on prices, especially grains that can be stored for a time. It would require that all farmers stick together for a common purpose and not work so independently as they do now.

Bob

If the farmers could get together or the union could hold out,then maybe you could get a fair price for your crops.The other thing that might have to happen is to get the goverment out of the business.The prices today for grain are a joke to what you have to spend to raise the crop.Wouldnt it be nice if you could charge what you needed to get a fair price!!

Wallter

I have a choice about a rapala as I dont have to buy one if they decide to rape me.I could live with 3-4 dollar gas if it were not for the fact the the oil companies are not making record profits every quarter.We can blame everyone else and not the oil dudes but one look at the profits and it doesnt make any sense.Tommorrow they could decide to charge 6 dollars a gallon and what are you going to do,stop driving?

I thought there was a political forum? That seems like the proper place for this, or is it just me?

The gas prices are going to in no way affect how many fish I catch on my next outing on the open water.. Its just going to cost a little more to chase the fish.

Not everyone appreciates non-stop political debates.. I come here to talk about fishing.. if I want to discuss the gas prices, I'll go to the political forum.

If someone pours a barrel of crude into a waterway.. then its a proper *open water* discussion. A complaint it cost $20 to fill the 6 gallon gas can in the boat is a legitament thing in my eyes for this forum.. but going overboard about every excuse the oil companies have and laying them out and debating each one of them(over and over again) I think has its plce.. in the political forum..

Anyone else agree with me?

Yes, the gas prices stink... can we get on with life now?

I wholeheartedly agree: Move this to where it belongs, and stop adding to it. It won't go away otherwise (and yes I know I just read and contributed wink.gif)

Quote:

1. CEO's are all crooks. I know some who are great people and they happen to fish on the big pond next to the rest of us. What are people saying about people who are left handed? They are different than most of us.

2. Big Oil is corrupt, greedy, a scam and a monopoly. I'm guessing that most of the people who work for big oil (several thousand) would disagree that they are corrupt people.

No one said all of either are corrupt, you are reading in things that just ain't there. Talk about seeing what you want to see grin.gif

I don't think anyone expects to see gas at the same price it was 15 years ago(kind of a nice fantasy tho ain't it). But it would be nice it rose at pretty much the same rate as the rest of our costs. When you figure inflation etc $2.20 is about where it should be.

Could you imagine what a pickle we would be in if the there weren't any regulation of utilities and they could jack the prices up on whim??? Wouldn't be pretty that's for sure shocked.gif

Gentlemen,

One of you didn't catch my joke. I said that you said all of the oil company employees are corrupt as a way to point out that it isn't fair of you to say that all CEO's and CEO's of oil companies are corrupt. Which you did state. I agree with you.... Not fair to make blanket statements..

As for the rapala's.. Your right you do have a choice to or not to buy rapala's. However many people guides, pro's, or just hard core fisherman do not have a choice. Unfortunately for your argument, they don't use terms describing being raped when their rapalas increase in price every year...

Maybe the guys that told us to end this are right. We may need to agree to disagree. Even thought I know I'm right. smirk.gifHa. Ha.

BP is going to replace I think it was 16 of 22 miles of pipeline. 400,000 barrels a day will be lost for several weeks. Get ready for a nice little spike in gas prices, even though it is only 8% of our total who wants to make a wager that the price increase will not reflect the percentage. Will be coming up on change over for heating oil here soon. Going to be an expense season again.

It would stand to reason taking 8% of anything off the market (if it's in tight supply), that it will increase the price by well more than the 8% that disappeared due to more demand on the remaining 92%. While I agree with the previous statements that there is plenty of oil in the world right now, the OPEC ministers for the last two annual meetings have agreed to further reduce exports of oil. With NAFTA bringing up the standard of living in other countries and the emergence of China and India as players in the oil market, demand for oil has increased exponentially over the past 3 years. We can say what we want, there IS LESS oil on the free market now than there was just a couple years ago. OPEC isn't stupid either, they don't want shortages, just the price to do what it's doing... shortages will in the end only bring prices down. Now they are just pumping less and raising the prices while maintaing a minimum threshold on the market. It does not behoof them to put more oil on the market at a lower rate, Remember the oil companies are right now refining oil they bought on futures months ago... hence the big profits... But as the inflated crude goes into the system there should be a leveling off of profits. If I remember right, they average 25 gallons of gas out of a barrel of crude, the rest being made into motor oil, diesel, kerosene, plastics etc. 25 gallons of gas at todays price of $3.20 = $80.00. The gas pays for the barrel of crude, the profits are what they reap on the remaining products.

The ex CEO of the company that I used to work for was indicted for 42 counts of insider trading with more charges pending. Guess that just makes him a member of the good ole boys club eh? wink.gif

What's funny is how everything keeps going up, gas, food, cigs etc, etc. The problem is I STILL MAKE THE SAME WAGES!!!

boxcar

The good ol boy that used to head up my company only made 300 million bucks In three years while he ran the company into the dirt. That must be the reason that his beach house was only ninety three million. He was so popular that he flew out of private airports in a corporate jet because the board of directors was afraid to let him out in the public. As far as companies listening to the stockholders is concerned, it didn't work when we complained at stockholder meetings about about executive compensation because the board of directors said that was what they had to do to get these great people to take the job. Don't worry boxcar they will be happy to hold your wages down and take your benefits away from you. shocked.gif

Quote:

I thought there was a political forum? That seems like the proper place for this, or is it just me?

Not everyone appreciates non-stop political debates.. I come here to talk about fishing.. if I want to discuss the gas prices, I'll go to the political forum.

Nobody is forcing you to read this topic. Take your mouse and click on the next one and quit whining.

Did anyone else hear that British Petroleum in Alaska has a pipe that is corroded and needs to be replaced. That is gonna hurt bad frown.gif All that we need now is another reason for them it increase prices.

UpNorth- You are correct. The US govn has reserves in place to offset these unforeseen interruptions in supply. They just need to make the call to do so. The other option is of course that the oil company cover the added expense to repair and offset the costs.

The only question I have is why does a British company have a pipeline in Alaskan oil when we import most of our oil already? Is it less costly for US companies to get their oil from foreign soil or what?

Bob

I think it is more like we don't want to completely deplete our rescources. More like spread things out and use theirs too.

I didnt read all the posts so forgive me if this has been brought up already. How do you all feel about paying extra gas tax to support the Petrofund so the big oil companies can get reimbursed for the money they spend on cleaning up their messes? Now I am all for this for the little guy, but for taxpayers to reimburse Big Oil for their environmental contamination when they are making this kind of money rubs me wrong. Especially when you consider they are extremely cheap and drag their feet for the most part when doing the cleanups.

Gentlemen,

Your in luck!!! We're currently hiring. I've worked for my company for 9 years and increased my income by more than 3% each year. So my income is staying ahead of inflation. Who's in?

Quote:

The only question I have is why does a British company have a pipeline in Alaskan oil when we import most of our oil already? Is it less costly for US companies to get their oil from foreign soil or what?

Bob

Because BP and Amoco merged back in '98. It's half American.