Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sachem longrifle

new boat

8 posts in this topic

17 foot alumnacraft with I believe a 70 horse yamaha. Brand new. Getting a bow mounted trolling motor on it and a fish finder before i take it home laugh.gif

Tiller I take it? Nice rig, enjoy!

Nope...console. getting too old to fight with a tiller

I dont want to rain on your parade but you may want to look into a bigger motor. I would go at least 90 on that. I have a 17' Lund Explorer with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke and there are times I wish I had more under the hood. Check with your dealer and see if they have a non current that you can get into cheaper. Thats the way to go. Full warranty and never been run, just sat on the shelf for a year or two.

Either way I hope you enjoy the new boat. Half the fun is rigging it up the way you like it. Let us know if you have any questions.

Northlander, I've been getting prices on an Explorer 17 Scout. The Scout is the model with the walk-through windshield. I've been looking at powering it with a 90 Honda. I was going to prop it with a SS 19 pitch. What kind of speed are you getting out of the 115. What prop are you using. I don't want to underpower it, but I don't want to over do it either. Your input would be welcomed along with anyone else who would care to comment.

Prop will depend on your rig... all different. Find out what your Wide open throttle rpm specificaions are. Then run the boat at full throttle & trim to max speed. If at that point you are toward the top end of the rpm specs then you have the right prop. if your rpms are too low you will have to lower pitch (2" in pitch will equal 200-400 rpm change) If your rpms at wot are too high go up in pitch. If your not in that correct range with the correct pitch then you will do a great deal of damage to the motor over time. FYI a four blade prop will give you more torque but less top end speed. Stick with a 3 blade. I love stainless but if you knick a rock the lower unit gears will take the brunt of the blow instead of the prop. I use Hustler aluminum props ($99) they perform as good as any stainless I have tried. My merc 2 stroke 115 on my 18' procraft fish n ski uses a 19" or 17" prop and I get 43-49 mph at wot depending on weight on board and which prop I am using. If I am going out with 3-4 people and may pull a skier tyhen I use the 17". If I am with 1 buddy fishing we switch to the 19". Good luck & let us know. I would bet that on your boat a 15" is probably a good place to start.

sachem longrifle, congrats on the boat.

Down deep I believe in maxing out the power. I never heard anyone say " My boats to fast" or "I have too much hole shot". My 115 and a tweeked stainless prop get me 43 mph full load. With 2 guys in the boat I get about 41 mph.

My prop has exhaust holes in it and its cupped. Call Jay Soderbloom he can give ya great info on a prop for your boat and he is the cheapest I have found for props, oil filters etc.

Good luck with your new boats guys.