Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UMC

Frogging

4 posts in this topic

I fish the Red Lake River quite a bit and have heard of people catching walleyes on frogs. I've tried to do it a few times by just using a plain hook with a weight tied about 3 feet up the line but have had any luck. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for rigging with frogs. Thanks.

I like to hack the rear legs off and cut the belly open. grin.gif I don't know if it helps or not, but thats what I do and it seems to work alright. I will then hook the frog right through the front of the head and toss it out. BTW a 3 foot leader is plenty long...my leaders or distance from my swivel to hook is usually only about 20"'s long or less. Unless your fishing really clear water, shorten it up some. It'll be less likely to get hung up too.

If you're not having alot of luck, try a new location. Sometimes it's not the bait, but the spot that isn't working! That can go the other way too, so who knows.

Good luck.

My best luck for nice Eyes on the Red Lake River is simple Sucker minnows. Just dont cut them up like you do for cats and use the smaller suckers. Cat rig with 4" sucker just hooked throuth the head. Some times I will use a floater rig too.

Whoops...I missed the "Walleye" part of the question! crazy.gif I'm always thinking about Catfish. grin.gif Rusty is right, with eyes probably better to keep em kickin'.