• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hunting boots

Dahitman44

I have never thought much about my hunting boots. I have always used my regular goose hunting/Ice fishing boots. I spray them down before I hunt, but I wonder hos much of a difference the Rocky Buckstalker light rubber boats or the cabelas dura-trax or comfort trac boots.

What boots do you guys use and do you think it matters vs praying down a regular boot.

I have heard 75 percent of our scent is transmitted through our boots. Maybe spraying is not enough?

I would not worry too much about scent and your boots. The first step is to find a good boot that is suitable to your hunting situation (hot or cold weather). When you find that boot, take adeguate precautions to mask your scent. A good boot is far more precious than all the gimics on the market. When you find whats right for you, there are cover scents, scent elimination products, natural scents (cow pies for example), baggies(over the boot), and other barrier products you can use. Trust me, do NOT sacrifice your feet for a gimic! Your boots are fine, lets just look at fine tuning them! I am sure others will have some suggestions as well. Fire away guys!

I have always used Rocky boots but my buddy swore on Danner's so I found a good price on a pair and I have to say I was dissapointed in them. They were kind of noisy when I walked. I will always buy Rocky's from now on. My older brother is kind of a tight wad and he was going to get some cheap boots for grouse hunting and I convinced him to spend a little more for the Rocky's and he did. He was impressed with him after the first hunt. I told him for as much hunting he does you don't want to go cheap on boots because it can really cut down on the hunting time if your feet get sore or injured because of cheap boots.

Dahitman,

I personally think spraying down your boots does make a difference. I spray mine down good outside the truck and after that I spray some red fox urine on the bottoms. Your feet have the most contact with the area you are hunting, so why risk blowing your cover. I guess the style of boot you choose depends on you style of hunting. I am a bow hunter, so I wouldn't be caught dead without rubber boots. I peronally have Alpha Burly's. They make they up to 1200 grams of thinsulate. When it gets colder I have some rubber boots that I got years ago that have a pac boot liner. Nice and toasty! But if your a gunhunter then by all means look into a different style boot. I don't think you need to get the scent lock this or that, just a good pair that works for you. Then just take care not to spill gas, oil or whatever on them.

If you go through all the steps to be scent free, don't forget you boots! A deers nose is always on the ground.

Good luck!

I always wear a full rubber boot, just under knee high, Never wear them anywhere other than outside my truck on the land I hunt. I will sprinkle some baking soda inside on occasion and spray the outside with scent killer, no cover scent for me as I feel it might alert more deer than no scent at all.

Excellent info guys.

Thanks

Some of these rubber boots say scent lok while other don't. Aren't all rubber boot scent proof?

How quiet are they? I have a pair of CHEAP rubber work boots and they are noisy kind of a squish sound. I guess you get what you pay for.

Thoughts?

My boots are very quite. Maybe its that they are designed for hunting that makes them quite. I am by no means a expert on the subject, maybe someone will know more. But I think with everything....you get what ya pay for. My Burly's were right around a hundred bucks.

I wanted to add the reason I use the red fox urine cover scent is that Dr.Ken Norberg, author of the Whitetail Almanic series, states that in the thousand of hrs of hunting and scouting he has never had a deer spook at the scent of a red fox. So I just figured I would try it, and last year it worked for me. But do what ya feel is right.

I doubt that scent loc boots are any different than standard rubber huunting boots, but I spray mine down with scent killer just the same...Also make sure you tuck your pants inside the boot on the way to your stand and once in, make sure you pull your pants out and over the boot tops, this should help with any scent escaping from the stinky feet.

Cyber, as far as cover scent, you are right. But when I used cover scent I used racoon piss and I had deer scent me or it and get nervous on more than one occasion... Now I go scent free and it seemed to eliminate that problem, not sure if it's in my head or what, but I am kinda superstitious in that regard.

I just have the green Lacrosse rubber boots with no insulation. The one's with thinsulate are too darn hot in the early season. I usually spray them with some scent elimination spray prior to walking to the spot.

Do people have warm and cold weather rubber boots? Could you just use some sock liners and some thin wool socks for warm weather? I think that is supposed to keep for feet from getting too hot -- maybe I'm worng. I can't remember.

In the warmer weather I wear scent lock rubber boots and the colder weather I use Rockies.I always walk through cow pies on the way to my stand.The deer are use to that scent.

I wash my boots down good in some water with baking soda at the beginning of the season, let them air dry, and then keep them in a big zip-lock storage bag with a box of baking soda for the rest of the season when I'm not using them. I also spray them with homemade scent killer.

Do most people keep their boots in a bag whaen they are not using them?