Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nofishfisherman

Hidden Falls

14 posts in this topic

Anyone been down in the Hidden Falls area lately? Thinking about going down Sunday evening for some shore fishing.

Want to see if I can get a smallie or walleye to come out and play for awhile.

Anything in particular working right now?

was there last night also didnt get a thing, went down to 5 bridge and caught 2 bluegills, a friend had a large smallie on but he lost it

I was there from about 5pm to about 7pm. Alot of boats zipping around so it stirred things up pretty good.

Casted from the landing at hidden falls down a couple hundred yards to about where the power lines cross the river.

Had something small on the line. Only saw some green and some white. Looked to maybe be a small Large Mouth. came unhooked near shore.

I casted a little bit of everything, plastic shad and twister tails, cranks, rapalas, mepps, silver minnow just went for variety.

Fish came on a yellow Twister tail on a orange 1/4 oz jig with a small gold spinner.

Any ideas of better spots to try for walleye or smallies? I am new to the river.

nofisherman i probably saw you there cuz that was when i was there ive heard its a great place to fish but they havent caught much lately

I was the guy left of the ramp a ways. Carrying a packback with a small landing net. I was either in a red shirt or shirtless depending on when you were looking. Dang it got hot in the sun. Worked on my tan though which was nice.

ah that was you, nice to see a fellow fmer, i was one of the kids working the other side of the ramp

I saw a few people over to the right so i went left. Lots of shoreline to work so I thought I would go a different direction from everyone else.

I will try to get down there again in a few days but I will probably head down later at night to avoid the sun and the boats as much as possible.

Keep us posted on how you do down there.

Nofishfisherman & ocf, If you guys walk up stream from the ramp you could have better luck. Look for eddies in the current, and slack water areas. This year fish are in the middle of the river caused by low water and slow current flow. Weekday evenings is a good tiome to hit the river. Less boaters, easier to float bobber down with the current.

Do you suggest live bait then over artificial?

What type, minnow, leech, crawler?

How far upstream are you talking about?

I am targeting small mouth and walleye if I can get lucky.

So I assume you cast up stream and let the boober float down into these slack water areas.

Any hints or tips would be great. Probably will try to head back out in the next day or two for round two.

i have the same questions as nofisherman, has anyone been out there lately?

The last time I was there - there was no water coming over the dam. 1 sheepie and 1 wee lil smallie. I haven't been back. confused.gif

fished plastics a few weeks ago with no luck. My friend was using live worms with bobber, also no luck. It's a great place to spend the weekday evening, though, even if the fish are not biting.

How about downriver? How far do you have to go until you find some new structure? from hidden falls.

anybody been out around hidden falls lately? made it out last week for the first time in a couple. Caught 6 white bass in the hour or so before dark. No walleyes. the previous times i went the walleyes were down deep (being in 10-12' of water, main channel). Should i be heading up nice and shallow again with the temps going down? Mainly pulling cranks, any thoughts?

Plan on heading out tonight, will post how things go.

Posted by me under a different thread from Sunday:

What part of the river? Downsteam of St Paul or Dam/Confluence area?

I was out yesterday above the confluence. We were only out from 2-5pm or so and managed 6 eyes and 10 fat striped bass. The biggest eye was 20".

We were out in my dad's new glass boat, the river makes him nervous, so we didnt hit some of my favorite rocky shorelines.

Considering the time we were out and the bright sun, I think the bite would be pretty good.

The flow was decent (compared to the last few months), the leaves are starting to come down and litter the water. Water temps are just below 70 degrees.

It is a great time of year to be on the river