• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Reports?

Capt.Blaine

So is it worth comming up on fri. or is the fish fly hatch slowed the bite down for the most part?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Captain B.R.K

• LovenLifeGuy

• Capt.Blaine

• Ole #1

The bite was pretty good between 8-9:30 last night. Saw lots of fish caught and quite a few slot fish thrown back. We caught 9 between three of us. 13 feet on the sand, West side.

I am leaving at 4:30 from Shakopee, I hope it works out. I will give an honest report when I get back, the more the merrier I say.

I gotta say the bite still seems pretty good during the day and even in shallow water. We fished Thursday from 9-4 (normally not the highest percentage hours) on east side rocks. Anywhere between 7 feet and 13 feet put out fish all day. Two of us bobbered and got 6 slots and released 26", 25", 23" and 21". Normal spots on Lakeside reef and even closer to shore NE of Lakeside. We left when the storm clouds built, but no doubt could have doubled that catch by staying a few hours more. We'll be back next week, fishing that 3-9:30 time slot.

This old lake is having a good year. No doubt the bite is very hot during prime hours, but even during the off-peak times it still ranks as pretty darn fine. Get up there now while it lasts! laugh.gif

Friday night was pretty good too. I found active fish in 18'-22' on the east side. Most of the fish I marked with my 332c (love it) hit. Most were slot fish. I had much better action with a crawler and a pink spinner than leeches. The evening shallow rocks bit was slow though, I just got one 20.25" walleye off the bobber and I did not see many others caught. The wind pretty much disappeared by 8 pm which I am sure affected the shallow bite. Many many boats out, and there were a million fish flies for each boat-- tomorrow the Lund gets a major clean up job.

I READ IN ANOTHER POST ABOUT THE MAYFLY HATCH... HAS IT SLOWED DOWN THE ACTION? I AM PLANNING ON COMING UP THIS AFTERNOON FOR A FEW HOURS.

just got back...fished from about 11:30am until 7:30pm. we went straight out to 7 mile. there were pretty many boats fishing the west side. but as we slowly went by, we didnt see anyone catch any. about 3 or 4 hours were spent on the north, northeast, east sides. right away we found some in 33 to 35'. we marked quite a few. they seemed to be everywhere on the slope and right up to the top edge. after that we made the cursory drift over the top and worked our way up the west side where everyone had been fishing. it could of been the weather change, but... we went over to shermans after that. we didnt hardly mark any and only had one bite that i gumped. by this time, the two of us had 5 keepers, and although i could of tried bobber fishing out on indian point, we both agreed to call it a day. it was a good time and we got back to shabushgon public access just before the others started coming in. when we got there, there were more trucks and trailers parked than we had ever seen. it must have been a mad house at 6:00am this morning, or i guess that would be yesterday morning right now. the bug hatch didnt affect the bite because when we first got there the bite was on. it was only after the sun came out and the temp dropped a little when they stopped biting. i am becomming a believer in bad weather equals good walleye fishing... i also believe any time you can go is a good time. best of luck to all who are heading out. ive got to go clean some breakfast!

regards,

minnesotatuff

Fished the West side between Terry's and pike point with all the other boats. Fished from 3pm till 9:30pm. Couldn't buy a bite for the first hour. Then I put on a crawler and caught 2 on the next pass. Didn't take too long to figure out what they wanted. Drifted from 21-14ft.. Little rough out there. 2 drift socks was the ticket too.. Had to slow down.. Did pick up 13 fish, not to bad for getting a late start.. Heard the north sand was going good on spinners earlier in the day...

Fished Malmo yesterday with many others. Two of us boated 2 16" and lost a few others. Lots of boats, but really didn't bother us a we were all spread out. It took us 1.5 hours to load, that was a ZOO! We got all our hits in 23 to 25 feet in the mid morning. A friend of mine got a limit for 3, it took all day, but just worked the Malmo area. Should be a busy one today thats for sure.

Out yesterday from 8:00-12:30...the wind/rain kicked us off. We fished out of Isle and hit several reefs etc. Fished around Spider Island and caught none. Ended up finding a few in 22' of water. Kept a 15" and a 16" all bites on leeches.

Should have stuck it out buddha, that 27"er could have been yours wink.gif. We caught 9 of our twelve after the rain quit and the sun came out. All on single hook snells with a blown up crawler. Shortest snell was 6'. By the way, not one fish in the boat using leaches, which two of us tried half the day. Back trolled out to 20' and stayed there all day. All fish we kept were between 14" and 16". One 10" went back as well as 2 23"ers, and the above mentioned 27". (The biggest walleye of my life so far,[i am still young]) grin.gif We caught our last fish at 7:30 pm and were on the road before 8:00. Perfect time to leave the lake that day. One last thing, YES, the mayflies are thick, I though I was going to be carried away in my truck by them.

Good Luck,

Abe

Out today, fished from 7am-noon. Started in the shallow rocks, no luck. Moved to deep gravel around 8. Once you found the transistion from sand to gravel/rocks we found fish. Boated 8 all 15-18, missed a half dozen more. Mayflys were thick on shore but we didn't see any on the water or in the fish we caught.

Went out Saturday for the 1st time this season and thought it would be 70 degrees, mild wind and a overall decent day. Got on the lake and thought Mr.Paul Douglas had the forecast down to a T! Motored over near Agate Bay Reef and was fishing by 9:00am. The first couple of hours was pretty good as we picked up 3 nice fish (22",22.5",25") with a few eaters we C&R.

Then the clouds rolled in with the wind. From noon until about 6:00pm it blew and blew, some BIG rollers out on the water. So much for getting that forecast right DOUGLAS! mad.gif

We stuck it out and picked up a handful of fish throughout the day and from 6:00-9:00pm we probably landed another handful of fish. 12 hours on the water produced 17 walleyes for my buddy and I, not a bad day of fishing.

We did notice several other boats during the day hammering fish one after another. The key was to have a slower drift because those boats had 1 & 2 driftsocks set up! Something I don't own yet but know they are a must have on a windy day.

We were up on Agate Bay Reef and fished that up to the Malmo access. We fished 1/2 to 3/4 oz weights with a 7-10' lindy tip with a red bed and leech.

Earlier in the morning we were moving the right speed with the wind. Then the wind picked up and we were moving 1.5-2mph at times.

Those 22- 25" fish were nice to see!! cool.gif

Yesterday was my 1st trip to Mille Lacs of the year. Caught 12 fish for the two of us. 9 were good eater slot fish 14-18 inches. 3 were over: 3 lb 6 oz, 3 lb 9 oz, 5 lb 2 oz. Fished from 7:30-1:30. Fished the northeast sand in 18-27 feet of water. The 20 foot and the 26-27 depths provided the best action. Bait of choice for the early morning: Leeches. Switched to crawlers later on when the bite slowed and hit 3 more bam, bam bam. Mmmmmm should have tried them earlier confused.gif. Longer snells 6-10 feet. Plain hooks: red, glow and chartreuse. We even fished it in my jon boat of all things. Saturday it sounds like that wouldn't have been possible confused.gif.....good thing we waited until Sunday to go. Hope everybody enjoyed their time on the water this weekend with their friends, family, or even some time alone smile.gif I enjoyed seeing a lot of kids in the boats along with the adults and even better seeing some of them fighting fish. My buddy has a sticker across the tailgate of his truck that says: "Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies" and you know....there's a lot of truth to that. So keep on bringing the kids along! smile.gif

Fished Saturday from 7:30am till around 4:00 pm on the east side. We did well considering the afternoon weather. We boated (11) keepers between three guys, threw back two (22", 23") and lost one larger near the boat. All were caught using a long snell with a bead and #4 hook. Color didn't seem to matter much, but a neon color with red bead may have caught more fish.

The best depth for us was between 17'-20' using two drift socks.

We did see something that nobody in our group could explain. When we removed our fish from the livewell, the livewell was full of some sort of berry or fruit. Does anyone know what that might be and why they were eating them?

Three of us fished on the North side on Saturday morning from about 7:30 a.m. to about 11:00 a.m. Caught several nice fish 26, 22, 21 24 but all were outside the keeper limit.

Talked with a buddy on Sunday and he told me that they had better results after the rain on Saturday... should have stayed a bit longer but needed to get on that "Honey Do" list.

A good day on the "Big Pond" - all in all!

when people say morning, what are the average start times? 5,6,7 am??? Is 8 too late??

We were on the water at 9:00am and caught fish right away.

Went out from Red Door about 7 PM Sunday. No fish for us and didn't see any caught. Caught one 24-1/2" in 28 feet on Monday about 9:30 AM. No other hits, but we saw a couple more caught by others. Pretty slow and tons of lake flies. It's pretty tough to have ideal fishing. Between weather patterns and bug hatches I feel lucky to catch anything at times! As the saying goes, I should have been there the day before.

Fished Sun out of Cove bay from 7am till 2pm. It was very slow we landed 3 fish 1 slot and a 24 and a 26. All were caught on leech and plain hook with long leader riggin at .5 mph or slower. We saw maybe 4 other fish caught by other boats very slow. We fished inshore points and Sloppy joes and 4 mile.

The midges were hatching pretty good as well.

Mwal

Fished yesterday (monday) from 6:30am until around 2:30pm. It was not fantastic but we caught some fish. The lake was like glass most of the day and the flys were all over. Fished in front of fishers in the morning if 19-24ft of water with no luck. Moved to Red door and started to pick up fish in 25-28ft. The two of us got around 15 fish with only 5 being small enough to eat and the biggest being 25 and two at 24inches. All fish were caught on leeches with at least 6 foot snells and red hooks. Sure was nice weather but I would have wished for more wind to blow the flys away. Good luck!

LovenLifeGuy

Fished the north end sand humps on Sunday afternoon. It was pretty slow but steady, lots of boats and everyone was catching fish at the rate of 1 per hour or so. Nothing like the reports from the opener. But the weather was a lot more pleasant. Everyone using leeches. Tried some deeper (23'-24') gravel and picked up a 25". Hit the rocks in 14' at 8:30PM with leeches and bobbers and did pretty well, nothing big but steady action. Should've went to the bobbers earlier. Left at 9:15....had to get the kids home, it was a school night!

I was out again this morning. I hit the sand near Red door early and got three eaters and one that was 22. Moved out to the blue jug for my first trip to the mud. Only caught three fish in about three hours. I should have stayed on the sand. All fish were over 22 inches on the mud. Very warm! Now on my way to the park rapids area for the weekend. Have a fun and safe weekend! Oh, all fish were caught on leeches.

LovenLifeGuy

We were out last night for about an hour....14 feet over rocks, standard leech and slip bobber set up..4 in the boat and a couple of misses...nice fish, in the slot..turn em all loose...I'm the only one of the crew that knows how to fillet em and I didn't feel like getting fishy last night...had to leave when lights on boat decided to self destruct!

Brother-in-laws new pontoon, but he had to fart around with the wiring putting extra lights on it and now he has none.

We'er going back up today for a quazi family get together, maybe we will be able to fix his lights for him and stay fishing into the prime time?

Just got back over the weekend. Fished the east side. 11feet over rocks. Caught 8-10 per day , mostly after 8pm. Leech and slip bobbers. Last night my son outfished the other 3 "men" in the boat by a 7:3 margin. He had a great time gloating about it. I think he is hooked on walleye fishing now. Boy was it hot.

Out yestaerday a.m. from 6:30-12:00 fishing for pike in a few southern bays. Caught 5 between 27"-34" and two 23" walleyes. One of the walleyes was caught on a big pike crank bait and the other on a crawler once we got tired of casting for pike. The walleye that hit the crank bait grabbed it boat side...first time for that. Also had two muskie follows.

Memorial Day.

Just got back from a mid day trip to Mille Lacs. Fished from 9:30 AM to 2 PM. Fished the mud flats with leeches. Found it tough at first and noticed that the fish were not spread over the edges as much as concentrated on certain spots on the edge of the flats. Ended up finding one or 2 good spots.

Two of us kept 5 and released a 28", 3 that ran 24", 2 that ran 22 and one just over 20. We missed and lost a hanfull each as well. All in all a great day on the water for not even staying for the night bite.

Best part was (sorry to rub it in) to just get off the lake as the rain was coming in and seeing the stop and go traffic backed up in Garrison headed south on the 2 lane and being able to just cruise back up to Nisswa. My wife has a sign that says "If you're lucky enough to live up north, you're lucky enough." Today I agree.

Good luck

ccarlson

I fished Friday-Sunday and did great! I fished the malmo area in the morning and daytime, and in the evening I was fishing the SW rocks. The action was best on the SW rocks, but the fishing was also good in the malmo area. I had a muskie follow a 19 1/2 inch walleye right to the boat, that was pretty cool to see.

The flys were thick, but they don't bother you too bad when you're catching fish.

The walleye are still biting very well right now and have been all week.

Was out last night on the west side fishing rocks and the action was great. There were two of us, we got our limit of keepers and had to throw many back that were too big.

I didn't notice the flies either.