Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
unicat74

STX Lake At Prescott......

unicat74

I see a lot of people post about the scene upriver -Taylor's Falls, Hudson, Osceola, Stillwater - but what are your tips for the lake at Prescott? I'll share mine:

I don't usually fish for walleye. It's about as exciting as watching Oprah reruns. Rather, I cast both shorelines of the lake with Mepps for smallies and largies. I've found that, in late summer, largies devour a nightcrawler underneath a bobber near shore as soon as it hits the water.

Recreational traffic in the summer is almost unbearable. Bring Dramamine or get out really early or fish late.

Anyone ever targeted pike/muskie in that lake? Also, anyone ever fish for cats or carp?

Thanks!

jkthill

I Like throwing Raps off the rock walls down there (careful of trees). Usually good for smallies in the summer.

youngie22

May be dumb... but do you consider STX the St. Croix...considering the lake as everything in front of the "Steamboat Inn"? confused.gif

fishernut

UNI

i grew up in hastings and have spent countless days on that lake fishing, skiing (banned on weekends now) and general goofing off.

this lake holds everything. on the west shore north of the small boat marina, troll for northerns muskies. cast for smallies. in front of the park we've caught a lot of silver bass. drift down the east side in front of steam boat inn and thru the channel (east and west side), there are huge fish in this lake. sturgeon, rare but there are paddlefish. go down stream on the Miss. and fish wing dams.

launch early in the morning or go during the week. weekend boat traffic IS unbearable. good luck

fishernut

uni

i forgot too, that where the Croix mixes with the Mississippi, there is a strong 'muddy water-clean water'

line. fish will hangout here and ambush minnows running in and out of the muddy water. worth a try, i doubt you'd be alone there.

unicat74

Thanks, guys. I like that trolling for northerns thing! Been looking for them buzzards for a while.

Oh, the recreational traffic in the summer is horrid. My brother and I had to break up a fight last year between two drunk idiots trying to put in at the same time at the Prescott launch. The chicks were going at it, too - yelling from the boats!

SMFH.............

Where else can a guy launch in that area? Imagine the launch in Hastings up from the bridge, eh?

unicat74

Quote:

May be dumb... but do you consider STX the St. Croix...considering the lake as everything in front of the "Steamboat Inn"?
confused.gif

Roughly, yes.

fishernut

the launch upstream from the 61 bridge is big, lots room to park. it's an extra mile to the Croix, +/-. there is a marina in 'cow-town', we used to call it cowtown, locals probably still do. if you cross the 61 bridge, clover leaf right away and take 2nd street to the east, turning west will take you to the big launch. go east on 2nd, cross the tracks, go until you see the marina, last tiem i talked to them it was 10 or 12 bux to launch. was not worth it to me.

i hate to sound like my wife but, be careful through this stretch from hastings to prescott,these big boats really rock the water. i use a 16 foot runabout with 70 hp and i was pretty nervous. GL

fdr01

my old man has been fishing this area for 40 some years and every year he stays out less.your right it is called cowtown i was born there, not many "locals" left.but if you get out of prescott early enough it is not that bad fishing has been going down hill last 10 years somedays there is plenty of action others nothing.but definitly the key is early in early out

ratherbefishn

Prescott can be one of the #1 producers of saugs and eyes in the early part of the season if not year round. Lots of fish hold in areas down there before making the final runs back to there summer waters. Olny problem is boat traffic get to be crazy.

fishernut

fdro1,

i grew up on Malcolm ave. from 5 years old to 20.

1983 grad. do i know you?

castmaster

if you want a nice launch, about half way between prescott and kinnikinic, there is a washington county park on the MN side that has one of the best accesses around. at least 4 lanes to launch, ample parking on most days (it does get full on weekends by mid morning) and is in a protected cove, so no current to deal with like at the public access in hastings(no barges either!!), PLUS you dont have to deal with the no wake zone at prescott!!

i think its around $20 a year for a county park sticker that allows use of the launch as well as access to all other washingtone county parks(for example it allows you to launch at the square lake access as well)

fishernut

yup, a friend has been using that launch, says it really nice. camping and cabins available too. heard that it fills up on hot days. have not been there yet, do you have directions? how about from hwy 61 and 95, just north of hastings?

Stratosman

I have launched there for years, it does get busy, but I only fish early and on weekdays anway. Great fishing but you only have about 3 hours before it's unbearable. My brother in law lives in cowtown and launches at Plan's, nice launch and is hardly ever full. I think a yearly fee is like $100 or so.

fdr01

fishernut,i dought it i was born in 1974 but you probrobly know my cousins sue,nancy and jimmy kraig they were older than me and sue had to have graduated around thet time.my grandma lived on locust st. for over 60+ years.