• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Removing rivets?

Bigbartguy

Question

hi folks

I'm wondering the 'best' way to remove rivets. I've drilled them out in the past but wonder if grinding them (or cutting the heads off) is better?

please let me know your thoughts. I wouldnt be able to use a saw, but maybe a dremel could grind them down or cut the top off? or should I stick with drilling them out?

thanks!

Tim

4 answers to this question

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Center punch the rivet and drill it.

Ditto. Drilling out is the way to go. Grinding will invariably invade parent material, leaving at best an unsightly grinding mark.

I agree with the drilling out of the rivots.We drill out about 300-400 a year on the race car body to replace panels.I have never found anything to work better or faster.

Just make sure you have a good drill bit...

I have been parting out a snowmobile the past week....I didn't know how dull my bit was until I purchased a new-decent bit.

Much..much easier!!! Have fun!