Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
LovenLifeGuy

How to get out a smoke smell?

LovenLifeGuy

My wife and I bought a house just over two years ago. It is an older house that was built in 1947 and had one previous owner that was a smoker. The problem is that every year when it gets warm (but not warm enough to turn on the central air) the smell of smoke comes out upstairs. Its fine when the air is on but this time of the year it stinks. Anyone know how to get rid of this? We have painted and put knew carpet down! Any pointers would be great!

Thanks, LovenLifeGuy

nofishfisherman

If you changed all the carpet and repainted everything then maybe the smell got into the insulation and thats what you are smelling. Not sure when you only smell it this time of year though.

Surface Tension

If washing the walls and new carpet didn't do the trick then look at what you've missed. Are there any suspended ceiling where this smell could be coming from.

Old houses tend to have their own smell. By the sounds of it the smell is coming from a time where the house has the most humidity between winter and before the AC is on. That humidity will leech out any embedded smells that are sunken into wood or fabrics. If the humidity levels for that short time are high enough to justify a dehumidifier then that might be an option.

TiredOfWorking

If you start smoking, you won't smell it anymore. (Or anything else, for that matter.)

18 inch Crappie

Post deleted by 18 inch Crappie

nofishfisherman

You would figure if it was in the air ducts then when the AC was running it would be blowing the smell into the open again and it would be as bad as ever. I think ST was closer with the humidity cuaseing the smell to come out of the house.

Last ditch effort you could go get a few of those pine tree car air fresheners and hook them on your ears.

IFallsRon

You need to put a sealer over your painted surface to block out the smell. The seasonal increase in humidity makes the smoke residue active.

New Yankee

I'm with IFalls - you actually should treat the house as if it was involved in a minor fire. Smoke smell will come through if it wasn't sealed first with a product like KILZ. You can also call a fire restoration company to see about having them Ozone the house, but you've got to be out of the house for them to do it (a day or two). They use these machines in hotels and such (as well as house fires) to help 'eat up' smoke and other smells. I'd also clean the ducts if they haven't been, just because they probably need it. Worse case is you might have to replace attic insulation if it still persists.

LovenLifeGuy

Thanks everyone! We just remodeled the basement last summer and put in a new furnace and all new ductwork along with it. I think the humidity may be what is sucking out the smell. I will try sealing the wall and if that dont work I will check into the insulation.

Thanks all, LovenLifeGuy