Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

cybermuskie

It's a great day... the ice went out last night, and the dock went in today! grin.gif

deepportage01

good to hear i will be puting it in on sat. hey cybermuskie i think we talked one time at the vfw/legon in backus last year?

cybermuskie

Maybe we did...I was maybe in the once or twice. I would have been the bald guy with a gotee grin.gif I married a Bolstad if that helps. I am out on Hand Lake.

deepportage01

yep, thats you i dont remember what we talked aboat[to many barly pops] grin.gifanyway looking farward to open water

cybermuskie

Can't say I remember what we talked about either! haha But there is a strong wind up here today, so many other lakes should be opening today! Say Hi if ya see me in town next time your up!

deepportage01

cybermuskie, this is kind of of the topic but what is the dominent bait fish in the lakes around backus. wayne always said it's shiners but i dont know if he is just trying to get me to buy them.[i use crawlers/fat heads with good results]

cybermuskie

I guess I am not sure on the answer of that question. It might be shinners, but I really don't think it is personally. I looked in my Cass cty map book, and Pine Mountain said it had shinners, but for Big Portage and some other lakes it listed white suckers. I know Wayne has lived in these parts longer than I have, but I never buy shinners. I would just stick to what works. I am not a huge walleye guy, but I usually use crawlers when I do, and I have used them several times on opener when I lived in Bemidji. Don't know if I helped, but I hope I did.

deepportage01

yep, that help'd suckers are alot cheper than $6.00@doz shiners. thanks for the info.

cybermuskie

You wouldn't be the one refers to my wife as the "waitress from He11" would you? grin.gif

deepportage01

no that's not me.the only nick name i have is for kathy at the vfw we call her suger bush grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif I have been in the area for 6 years now and there are so many cool people in the backus area.it did take a while for people to warm up to us but all in all I think it is the best place to play in the sumer.you can still find a lake to fish with no body on it when it's a busy weekend I envy people that live there year round.this time of year is the worst for us fishermen, the boat is ready rods and reels are cleaned/oiled the only thing left to do is wait for opener.

cybermuskie

Well don't feel bad, I've lived here 2 years now and people are just starting to remember my name! haha The wife was just trying to remember you, she thought maybe you came into "The Dog" when she worked there. No biggie! I hope to maybe test to boat out this weekend, make sure it runs and all. Maybe fish next week! It won't be long now, and I will be hitting my secert spots! wink.gif

Phred52

cybermuskie, Would you by any chance be refering to the "Salty Dog" On Sanburn?? I'm looking at possibly making a yard clean-up trip tomorrow(4/13).Phred52

cybermuskie

Phred- Yeah "The Dog" is what some of the locals call it! Sounds like you know the place!

deepportage01

yep, the dog has the best ribs in town and a cool fish tank too.I only wish they would sell strong beer not 3.2%.now that I think about it if they did sell good beer I would be in there way to much grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Phred52

Yep! Pass it often goin' in for groceries. Actually never was sure if it was a private club or what. 3.2 eh? Guess I'll stop for the food grin.gif I'm over on Hattie. Phred52

cybermuskie

No it's not a private club! But they do have the best ribs in the area! grin.gif I think they keep it 3.2 so it stays more of a food joint and less of a bar. Good people there. I plow the lot for them in the winter. Stop in next time your up!

deepportage01

Deer ticks mad.gif last year was bad too around this time of year.I can't stand those little buggers just when you think ya got them all off you 5 more show up.I don't think there is one thing a deer tick is good fore.

cybermuskie

I think more people are just spending time doing other things now that it's nice out. The reason I am on so much still is that I work raod construction, and haven't gotten called back. Also I have a 3 month old daughter, and on the days my wife works I take care of her. I am going to wet a line tomorrow with I guy from Bemidji. I did put the boat in Hand tonight. Everything seemed to work real good! If the guys get antsy to see pics of your camper get ahold of me and maybe I can run over and take some outside pics for ya! I have a 87 jayco thats like 24.5 feet. Even that get to seem small when you live in it 5-6 days a week! I would love a 5-wheel, but they aren't cheap for anything decent!

Talk to ya later

deepportage01

cybermuskie,thank you for ofering to take picks of the camper that was so cool!but I just sold it at 2:00 today the guy I sold it too has land in backus he is geting one nice camer for the price.thank you agen! work is slow for me too I do tile for a living and my contractors can't get the lumber to the jobs yet[road frost?] it's all remod crap for the time being. good luck fishing some fresh panfish sounds good yum!

Phred52

cyber, Hey yea, we'll stop by when we're up. That should'a been this last friday, bro-in-law got the signals crossed and was waiting for me. Oh well, got a chunk done on the springtime chore list here. See ya next time by, I'll try to post before leaving. Phred52

katofishingguy

Hey Phred how ya doin mother in law talkin about going up for a few days soon to start getting cabin open. Ive been out a couple times around home had some luck friday evening with the crappies largest being 11" we will have to hook up for some fishing soon e-mail me when you plan on going up or have some time to wet a line around home.

Phred52

KFG, Hey! How YA doin'? Sounds like a guy could get some fishing for Craps in up there! Of course, there is the work that NEEDS to be done. I know for sure, I've got 2 trees that MUST be removed (broken off and leaning toward the cabin) and 1 more laying across the driveway. I suppose by now, the place needs a good raking and maybe a mowing. It just never ends! How soon does the MIL plan on getting up? Now, I'm looking at maybe 2 weeks (4/29). A working weekend! Get back@me. (Hurry up 2 years and I'll live there!!!!) Phred

Phred52

Cybermuskie, Went by the Salty on Friday AM, musta been too early, (9:30 AM), they were still closed. It was Thurs afternoon that I got the okay from work to go. Next time. Phred52

cybermuskie

Phred, yeah they don't open till around 4 most week days. I think they open earlier around opener!

deepportage01

hey,cybermuskie I am looking for a good new opening lake [for eyes]any thoughts? I know you wont post them so here is my email brad@lakesareatile.com