• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnetonka crappie

Did some searching yesterday afternoon and evening. Did not find crappies on the main lake weed edges (water temps 47 degrees). Searched some smaller bays/coves where water temps were in the low 50s and after experimenting with several presentations finally got a bite going. Corey's favorite Power minnows were only attracting green carp. My personal favorite 2" Culprit paddletails were a little better. The hot bait turned out to be a chartreuse Quiver jig tipped with Gulp piece and fished aggressively under a float. Had to be moving or no bite. Couple of 12" and a bunch of 10s" plus the usual Tonka 8" crappie. You had to watch the float as these fish were very shallow. Any unusual movement and you needed to set the hook. I got very few hits just letting the float sit or on the drop. It seemed most bites were coming as the jig was rising.

MARKSTANLEY-

Any bays in particular? I am heading out on Minnetonka for the first time later this week. Don't need your hotspots. If you could just point me in the right direction of some fish I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks and good luck on the water.

I fished monster carp yesterday in shallow bays on northwest Minnetonka and observed schools of crappies in 3' of water.

I'd say pretty good. In two hours of fishing, I caught a 20 pounder, 2 15's, and a 12. Missed about 10. Medium action spinning equipment made for some drag ripping fun.

Geez Carpfisher you are going to have to show me the ropes on this carp action!! I was fishing the west end and the crappies were as shallow as Carpfisher saw them. Water is a little dingy but I could actually see the schools swimming by. The trick is to find a rock rip rap (keeps water warmer)shoreline. I was not catching any crappies off docks. These fish were in cruise mode. I'll be out tonight and see how it goes. Or maybe I will go real carp hunting. I did not see any carp in the areas I was fishing however.

Quote:

Geez Carpfisher you are going to have to show me the ropes on this carp action!! I was fishing the west end and the crappies were as shallow as Carpfisher saw them. Water is a little dingy but I could actually see the schools swimming by. The trick is to find a rock rip rap (keeps water warmer)shoreline. I was not catching any crappies off docks. These fish were in cruise mode. I'll be out tonight and see how it goes. Or maybe I will go real carp hunting. I did not see any carp in the areas I was fishing however.

Anytime you want to go out, just let me know. The pattern I'm fishing now lasted up until about the second week of May last year. After that they must go out into the depths or something.

Carpfisher, you getting out after work? and are you shorefishing or using a boat? My boat and myself are available on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday next week. And I can take you crappie fishing after the sun goes down.

Quote:

Carpfisher, you getting out after work? and are you shorefishing or using a boat? My boat and myself are available on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday next week. And I can take you crappie fishing after the sun goes down.

I went out after work yesterday and was fishing from shore. I think the fishing would be even better from a boat, as some of the biggest boils were out beyond casting range. Why don't you shoot me an email and we'll set something up for next week?

[email protected]

Mark, have you been over to the east side spot I took you, cal and Tonka boy to yet? I'm curious if they are back there yet, if not can you check? I can't get out til atleast this Sunday if I'm lucky.

Mike

Hey Carp-fisher, what type of bait/presentation do you use for the carp on Tonka, if you don't mind divulging. Might like to give it a try some time. Thanks.

Quote:

Hey Carp-fisher, what type of bait/presentation do you use for the carp on Tonka, if you don't mind divulging. Might like to give it a try some time. Thanks.

My Minnetonka carp experience is kind of a funny deal because I don't know much about targeting carp in lakes. Anyways, about a year ago I watched an Al Lindner carping episode on In Fisherman TV. He really recommended targeting carp right after ice out, which is another thing new to me since I've always struck out trying to catch them in cold river water. He fished shallow water with a slipbobber and corn rig (a small hook with 6 to 10 kernels of sweet corn). So basically all I did was looked around on Minnetonka until I found an area where I saw carp jumping out of the water and fished those areas. Same thing on Monday, I saw carp jumping out of the water, so I fished that area. It was about 3 to 4 feet deep, soft bottom. Slip bobber set to about 3 feet with corn. Set the hook as soon as it wobbles and hold on.

CF, you think I could take some of those carpies on my fly rod? Are they thrashing around and feeding?

MarkStanley, is that crappie bite midday or evening or what? I want to give it a try but my hall pass probably doesn't kick in until about 4 on Friday.

Ice

Quote:

CF, you think I could take some of those carpies on my fly rod? Are they thrashing around and feeding?

MarkStanley, is that crappie bite midday or evening or what? I want to give it a try but my hall pass probably doesn't kick in until about 4 on Friday.

Ice

I'm not sure exactly what those carp are doing jumping out of the water. I'm almost wondering if some areas aren't so packed with carp that their own activity startles them and their jumps are reactionary. I've heard of people catching them on flies, but I don't know much about it. Might be worth a shot. Goldfish bonefishing!

Carpfisher you got mail

Buzz they were not there yet but should be by weekend. Water temps are hitting 49 degrees in main lake

Ice Monday was from 3 to 10pm last night was after dark only for me. Could not buy a crappie until sunset then I was getting one every other cast. Go figure.

Back bay temps were 55. I caught way too many green carp and only two crappies over 10". Culprit paddletail was the hot bait for me although the Stub grub scored the two big crappies.

Thanks for all the info guys smile.gif. Does any of you fish the crappie tournament at the end of april? Are the fish still usually shallow during the tournament?

Guys are getting crapies behind the banshell, on the excelsior commons shorline. I got my limit there two last night. Pink or chartruese flu-flu with a slip bobber. smile.gif

Ice9 going out solo tomorrow. Anybody want to get after them with me, leaving about 7. Small boat, iffy operator, but do you want to live forever? Should be slaughterous.

[email protected] or cell 763-232-1400

ice