Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
markkstanley

Minnetonka crappie

markkstanley

Did some searching yesterday afternoon and evening. Did not find crappies on the main lake weed edges (water temps 47 degrees). Searched some smaller bays/coves where water temps were in the low 50s and after experimenting with several presentations finally got a bite going. Corey's favorite Power minnows were only attracting green carp. My personal favorite 2" Culprit paddletails were a little better. The hot bait turned out to be a chartreuse Quiver jig tipped with Gulp piece and fished aggressively under a float. Had to be moving or no bite. Couple of 12" and a bunch of 10s" plus the usual Tonka 8" crappie. You had to watch the float as these fish were very shallow. Any unusual movement and you needed to set the hook. I got very few hits just letting the float sit or on the drop. It seemed most bites were coming as the jig was rising.

J_D

MARKSTANLEY-

Any bays in particular? I am heading out on Minnetonka for the first time later this week. Don't need your hotspots. If you could just point me in the right direction of some fish I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks and good luck on the water.

Carp-fisher

I fished monster carp yesterday in shallow bays on northwest Minnetonka and observed schools of crappies in 3' of water.

J_D

THanks for the info Carpfisher laugh.gif, I will give that area a try.

Lunker

Hey Carp-Fisher, how'd you do on the monster carp?

Carp-fisher

I'd say pretty good. In two hours of fishing, I caught a 20 pounder, 2 15's, and a 12. Missed about 10. Medium action spinning equipment made for some drag ripping fun.

markkstanley

Geez Carpfisher you are going to have to show me the ropes on this carp action!! I was fishing the west end and the crappies were as shallow as Carpfisher saw them. Water is a little dingy but I could actually see the schools swimming by. The trick is to find a rock rip rap (keeps water warmer)shoreline. I was not catching any crappies off docks. These fish were in cruise mode. I'll be out tonight and see how it goes. Or maybe I will go real carp hunting. I did not see any carp in the areas I was fishing however.

Carp-fisher

Quote:

Geez Carpfisher you are going to have to show me the ropes on this carp action!! I was fishing the west end and the crappies were as shallow as Carpfisher saw them. Water is a little dingy but I could actually see the schools swimming by. The trick is to find a rock rip rap (keeps water warmer)shoreline. I was not catching any crappies off docks. These fish were in cruise mode. I'll be out tonight and see how it goes. Or maybe I will go real carp hunting. I did not see any carp in the areas I was fishing however.

Anytime you want to go out, just let me know. The pattern I'm fishing now lasted up until about the second week of May last year. After that they must go out into the depths or something.

markkstanley

Carpfisher, you getting out after work? and are you shorefishing or using a boat? My boat and myself are available on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday next week. And I can take you crappie fishing after the sun goes down.

Carp-fisher

Quote:

Carpfisher, you getting out after work? and are you shorefishing or using a boat? My boat and myself are available on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday next week. And I can take you crappie fishing after the sun goes down.

I went out after work yesterday and was fishing from shore. I think the fishing would be even better from a boat, as some of the biggest boils were out beyond casting range. Why don't you shoot me an email and we'll set something up for next week?

benbnewton@hotmail.com

buzzsaw

Mark, have you been over to the east side spot I took you, cal and Tonka boy to yet? I'm curious if they are back there yet, if not can you check? I can't get out til atleast this Sunday if I'm lucky.

Mike

donmc

Hey Carp-fisher, what type of bait/presentation do you use for the carp on Tonka, if you don't mind divulging. Might like to give it a try some time. Thanks.

Carp-fisher

Quote:

Hey Carp-fisher, what type of bait/presentation do you use for the carp on Tonka, if you don't mind divulging. Might like to give it a try some time. Thanks.

My Minnetonka carp experience is kind of a funny deal because I don't know much about targeting carp in lakes. Anyways, about a year ago I watched an Al Lindner carping episode on In Fisherman TV. He really recommended targeting carp right after ice out, which is another thing new to me since I've always struck out trying to catch them in cold river water. He fished shallow water with a slipbobber and corn rig (a small hook with 6 to 10 kernels of sweet corn). So basically all I did was looked around on Minnetonka until I found an area where I saw carp jumping out of the water and fished those areas. Same thing on Monday, I saw carp jumping out of the water, so I fished that area. It was about 3 to 4 feet deep, soft bottom. Slip bobber set to about 3 feet with corn. Set the hook as soon as it wobbles and hold on.

Ice9

CF, you think I could take some of those carpies on my fly rod? Are they thrashing around and feeding?

MarkStanley, is that crappie bite midday or evening or what? I want to give it a try but my hall pass probably doesn't kick in until about 4 on Friday.

Ice

Carp-fisher

Quote:

CF, you think I could take some of those carpies on my fly rod? Are they thrashing around and feeding?

MarkStanley, is that crappie bite midday or evening or what? I want to give it a try but my hall pass probably doesn't kick in until about 4 on Friday.

Ice

I'm not sure exactly what those carp are doing jumping out of the water. I'm almost wondering if some areas aren't so packed with carp that their own activity startles them and their jumps are reactionary. I've heard of people catching them on flies, but I don't know much about it. Might be worth a shot. Goldfish bonefishing!

markkstanley

Carpfisher you got mail

Buzz they were not there yet but should be by weekend. Water temps are hitting 49 degrees in main lake

Ice Monday was from 3 to 10pm last night was after dark only for me. Could not buy a crappie until sunset then I was getting one every other cast. Go figure.

Back bay temps were 55. I caught way too many green carp and only two crappies over 10". Culprit paddletail was the hot bait for me although the Stub grub scored the two big crappies.

J_D

Thanks for all the info guys smile.gif. Does any of you fish the crappie tournament at the end of april? Are the fish still usually shallow during the tournament?

TR0PHYPHISHIN

Guys are getting crapies behind the banshell, on the excelsior commons shorline. I got my limit there two last night. Pink or chartruese flu-flu with a slip bobber. smile.gif

Ice9

Ice9 going out solo tomorrow. Anybody want to get after them with me, leaving about 7. Small boat, iffy operator, but do you want to live forever? Should be slaughterous.

motes1135@msn.com or cell 763-232-1400

ice