Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
wyldewal

Duck boat motor

wyldewal

Since it's been so quiet in here I thought this would be the perfect time to ask a question. I am buying a new motor for my boat I use it for fishing but I use it a lot in the fall for duck hunting. What I am trying to decide is should I get a two stroke or a four stroke. I am leaning towards a four stroke but I have one concern, I've been told by several diferent people that four strokes have more problems in the cold weather. This could be a problem since a lot of my duck hunting takes place in November. I just wanted a few opinions from my fellow duck hunters. If any of you have had any experiance with four strokes in the cold , good or bad, I would love to hear from you. Thanks. smile.gif

Sartell Angler

I'm glad you brought this up because I've wondered this as well. We've never had any problem with our 9 horse 2 stroke but if I was to get a larger/newer motor I'd consider a 4 stroke unless it struggled in the extreme cold (we like to break ice)...

Anyone know the answer to this?

ChuckN

I owned a 15 Honda that I used in the fall for hunting and it was by far the best cold starter I ever owned, proven to below zero temps. I hated to sell it, but it was also a kicker on a boat I sold.

I now have a Mercury 9.9 4 stroke kicker and it's the worst cold blooded engine I've ever owned. It has some automatic choke design that does not work well, but the electric start makes up for it. grin.gif My arms would fall off without the e-start.

The advantages of the 4 stroke was the excellent idling, no smoke and quiet operation when setting or picking up decoy spreads.

Personally, I would probably go with a good old 2 stroke motor for a duck boat. 2 strokes run well in all weather, cheaper and not much to worry about if you happen to hit that log or rock. wink.gif

riverrat56

I'd stick with a two stroke, for a duck boat is it really worth the extra change for a 4 stroke? If your worried about getting decoys quitely we use a trolling motor when the water is too deep for waders.

Nova

we use 2 strokes to and they are lighter than 4 strokes. We have Mercs and they are cold blooded, but the shift on the handle is sooooo nice for picking decoys.

Fish&Fowl

My buddy I hunted with all fall had a 20hp Honda 4-stroke. Never had a problem with it, even when the weather was pretty chilly (hunting near Int'l. Falls) I have a 2-stroke evinrude that I am too very happy with. We each use our boats as duck hunting/small lake fishing boats.

wyldewal

Thanks guys you all bring up good points and more info is always a good thing. I'll let you know what I decide on and how it works out for me. Thanks agian. laugh.gif

High Velocity

I've got a 2001 1650 Rebel Camo with a 40HP Honda 4stroke and it has been a GREAT motor. Actually it has been flawless and starts easily. I hunted up until the weekend prior to Thanksgiving and no problems. Would of kept going but the lakes decided to freeze. Good luck in your choice.

protrapper

I boat dealer told me that 4 strokes where not ment for cold water use. my buddy ahd a yamaha 9.9 4 stroke and it was a pain in cold weather. I use a couple 6hp 2 stroke late 70's evinrude's that we keep on boats hidden on some rice lakes and they never have caused a problem. After a huunt we run the gas out, and bring the tanks home. Fresh gas every fall.

icecold

I have a 14 ft jon boat with a 15 merc that i use during duck season when it is warmer out, but when temps get below freezing I use my Briggs and straton 4 stroke. That thing starts know matter how cold it is Its got a manuel choke,I use 5 -20synthetic oil in it and it runs great. It gets the job done for wear i need to go.