• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just wondering if fish ever try and spawn during the flood and their eggs get stuck on the shore. Just thought of it driving by the Buffalo near Hawley.

That would be a waste.

Always thinkin, arent you HM.. grin.gif

I was thinking that same thing the other day, then the thought acurd to me, maybe the water is to cold to spawn .?

Mark hit the nail on the head with the water temps being to cold to spawn.

However, there are instances when river levels get too high during the spawn wash the eggs away, and there are instances when river levels get too low during the spawn and strands eggs.

Yup, definitely too cold to spawn still. However, water levels can undermine spawning. Water temps changing rapidly can also have a similar effect- eggs simply get absorbed back into the fish rather than dropped out. Either way, it's a bad deal in terms of future fish. With any luck the water levels will get back to normal in a hurry and we'll have a decent spawn- and obviously, get many, many people's lives back towards normalcy.

Marky-Mark --

Yep just spend too much time thinking about fishing. wink.gif

Anyone have any idea when the river will go down and walleye action will pick up?

the NWS said it would be a few weeks before the Red returns to normal in Fargo.

Hitman check out levels on the Red in Fargo here

Dead -- I checked you link and I went to a Michael Jackson fan club page. What's up with that?

Just kidding -- good information. grin.gif

Well, I better "Beat It."

Pike may spawn up in flooded grass, and the water falls, then they loose the hatch. Walleye seldom fall for this, even if the temps are in the zone. But...that said... I have seen walleye try to spawn on flooded gravel roadbeds under the right/wrong conditions.

For the most part pike are the only early spawners that tend to get there timeing wrong on the Red.

• 2 weeks later...

Hit- Ever think about writing a local fishing report in the paper? Just a thought.

I'd buy a paper for that..

Dano -- I have thought about. Might be fun.

Do you want to submit one?

I don't get out enough to give an accurate report. One person that might be interested in doing a weekly report may be Jeff Lawson. I know he does alot of fishing on alot of different lakes in Minnesota, Nodak and Canada. So, I guess I am saying that I would not be interested in writing reports. Except on here of course!

Dano --

Jeff would be a good option. I will have to ask him.

Except all of the reports will say that he caught the fish right in the mouth. grin.gifwink.gif

Hit - I agree. Caught all in the mouth and he would be the only one that caught anything the whole day. smile.gif I could talk with him about it also.

Right on. Let me know.

I'm sure he will want about a $million per column. wink.gif