• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

***Sturgeon Excursion 2006-April 21st***

When was the last time you tangled with a fish that was older than you are? How about the last time you have battled a fish that weighed upward of 100 pounds? If you are like most who live in Minnesota, your answer is never!

Change that. Make this year, the year you do battle with a prehistoric beast. Give yourself the chance to catch your fish of a lifetime.

All are welcome to be a part of the 2006 Spring Sturgeon Get Together to be held the weekend of April 21, 2006 on the Rainy River near Baudette, Minnesota.

Join your FM family in search of the largest fish that swims in Minnesota waters. Fish weighing over 50 pounds are not uncommon, and fish over 100 pounds are possible. From jumps to rod breaking dives to pulling 100+ feet of line and burning drags, sturgeon battle like no other fish in Minnesota!

Bring your heaviest tackle, catfish rods, muskie rods, and even very heavy bass gear will do. Beyond that, all you will need is muscle and some warm clothes.

After a day on the water, join us at Schusters and meet FishingMinnesota Staff and other FM members and friends: putting a face to a posting name is priceless. To sweeten the deal, it’s very affordable, as well, thanks to Schusters who’s opening its doors to FM members for an extremely reasonable price--just $20 a night per person for full cabins. Contact them here Schusters Resort or call 1 (800) 243-2412

To wet your whistle, check out a couple of pictures and a short video clip from last year....

StusSturg2.jpg

Stu's Big Catch

00000913jo.jpg

Sturgeon Excursion Video Clip - Click Here

I'll let Hibbing give the advice! wink.gif

Heck, I'll be asking for Hibbing's advice! grin.gif

Tackle is a matter of personal choice. Some prefer the heavy stuff referred to in Dennis' post. I call that the "crane & wench" method & like a bit more challenge on my 6 1/2' med. action jigging rod with 8lb. mono on a levelwind.

I know someone will question injuring the sturgeon in a prolonged battle but a DNR Fisheries biologist told me not to worry about that, especially in cool water. They are truly remarkable critters!

Personally, I can't wait for this event. Battling the biggest fish in Minnesota waters from a little river boat!

This is going to be a blast. Dennis, do you have room in the River Pro, or do you wanna fish outta my roomy camo rig?

The last sentance posted here brings to light a question I was wondering about. Is there a line-class record for these fish in the state of Minnesota? I'm not sure how a person would get a 98 lb. sturgeon off the bottom with 6 lb. mono, but it sure would be fun to try!

This is going to be GREAT!

sounds like a heck of a lot of fun and i may have to put it on my calander. how many people are you expecting?

Do you just drag lindys for them? I know thats how we always caught them in Bismarck that way.

I heard the Rainy River gets nuts with boats for walleye fisherman. My game is sturgeon in four-mile bay. Will we have a problem with boat traffic if we plan our trip for April 8,9,10, and 11th? Just trying to get plans finalized. Thanks.

Well you heard right, most of the Walleye fishers are way upstream though so you should'nt see too many boats in the bay. Iffin the BF and LF open up you may see more folks downstream doing the Sturgeon thing as the Walleye can be tough when the river muddies and Sturgeon are on the tourists plan b list. Chance the bay may still be iced in tight when your up though, or the whole lower river and/or bay could be a jumbled pile of ice as well.

fiskyknut

If she is frozen over we'll be screwd! I can't make it the next weekend because of Easter. The next possible weekend that would work for us guys would be the 22,23,24,and the 25th. We went three days last year but we all agreed that we wanted one more day!

What are the chances that four-mile bay will be frozen still on the 8th? I have no idea what is the typical open-water dates that far north. Please help with any ideas or thoughts. Thanks, Leech.

Leech, if the bay is not doable you'll still be able to fish them Sturgeonfish upstream. Lot's of darn good Sturgeon spots besides just 4-mile bay.

Only mother nature knows whats in store for ice-out this year but if I had to wager I'd say the bay will be ice free when your up. Every spring is a bit different eh. Back in 97 or 8 iffin I remember right the bay stayed frozen into May. That year on Walleye opener we motored out thru 200 boats anchored in the bay, we then shored up the boat on the mainlake icepack, drilled holes and fished thru the ice!

Regards.....fiskyknut

LEECH,

Check your calendar.

Easter is the weekend of the 15th-16th.

THe Sturgeon Excursion is the weekend of the 21st-22nd-23rd.

I gots me a calendar right here...

April 8,9,10,11-dates we're banking on right now.

April 15,16,17,18-Easter weekend (won't work)

April 22,23,24,25-plan B if first weekend does't work.

I'd like to hurry up and get the dates figured out so we can book hotels and what not. Does anyone know how long the sturgeon hang around in Four-mile Bay?

Fiskyknut, we tried some "up the river" fishing last year. But, without depthfinders and all the fancy gizmos, we had no idea what spots to look for. Fishing four-mile was pretty basic...and it worked!

Dennis - as the old saying goes, "advice is free, good advice is gonna cost ya!" My partner and I have been fishing for these critters for quite a few years. When we started there were only a few boats in the bay. Now on a busy weekend there may be close to 50 or 60 boats, depending on the weather. The day I caught the one in the picture, it was 20 degrees and 20 mph wind out of the NW. I could barely stand up in the boat.

ADVICE - Heavier equipment the better. I typically use a muskie rod or a heavy weight down rigger rod with a C4 6500 reel spooled with 50lb Power Pro line. 4/0 hook with several ounces of no-roll lead. Gob of crawlers and you are in business! The secret is what you spray or dip your crawler in. I like to use @(*&@@#^) (*&(*@. That seems to really draw in the bigguns!!

See ya all in April! 1650 Red/Bronze Lund Explorer, 40hp Honda on the back. 2 slightly over sized guys with beards in the boat.

JP

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any advice for someone that would like to try out this Sturgeon fishing? I would like to come up and give it a try but don't have any idea when is a good time to think about comming up. Any info/tips would be great.

Thanks

The river gets a bit crazy (good crazy) till the end of eye season on 4-15 but from then till 5-15 you could pretty much have the place to your self. If you want to keep one there is a 2 week stretch in the middle of that time.

Cool thing is that bass and pike season never close on the border waters so you can really mix it up if you want. The first 2 weeks of May can be great smallie fishing if water temps cooperate.

After that it's July 1 till you can go again.

We had a group of 4 who boated 20-some sturgeon in 3 days in July '05.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be there on Saturday (4/22). I can't wait, man I love sturgeon fishing! Maybe it's the catfisherman in me. I enjoy sittin back and watching the rod tip, waiting for that slow pull or tapping on the line, feeling the weight, and then putting your back in to a good hook set... wink.gif

I'm hoping the river muddies up early. blush.gif Then I can get up there earlier with alot less boat traffic. grin.gif

See ya there. I'll be in an older model Skeeter Bass boat with a 70hp Evinrude on the back and the 9ft cattin' rods standing tall.

We were up there on the Rainy yesterday and had an awesome time. We fished walleyes and then sturgeon. We anchored up and tossed our heavy rigs out and had a great time. If you get bored of sturgeon fishing, reel up and toss a jig for a while. We ended up catching 3 sturgeon (30, 45 and a 50 incher). We did however see a couple of guys that "schooled" us, they caught about 10 or 12 while we were fishing by them. One was 6 feet long, absolutely amazing to see the power of these fish. I wish I could make it to the event, but I will be going turkey hunting during that time period. I almost forgot to answer the question, we were using musky gear with a two foot snell, 3/4 to 1 ounce sinkers, 2/0 hooks and a couple of rainbow chubs hooked through the back. Toss it out and wait for your clicker to click, give them about 10 seconds and reel up and drill em.

Walleyedan

Dan,

Ask your partner Toby about putting the smack down on the sturgeon! We had a blast up there.

• 2 weeks later...

I just may be able to head up and join the crew for this next weekend. I missed out last year and we hope to get into the whiskerd misiles this year.

Is there any rooms open for us FM crew yet? It would likely be me abd Big Shanon, maybe my son if he is fre to run up with us. If so please advise.

Thanks, smile.gif

Ed - I still have room in my cabin. I am trying to fill it to avoid paying extra for a full occupancy as a couple of my buddies backed out on me. I have also contacted another pair that were looking for a place. Whoever I hear from first will get the beds. Let me know here if you still need a place.

Schusters also has a couple cabins left.

It would be good seeing you Ed! I hope you can make it.

Contact them here Schusters Resort or call 1 (800) 243-2412

Thanks guys, I may check out Sachusters if we can make it this weekend.

Yup...be good to see da-crew again. cool.gif

I am coming up extremely late on sat. night and staying in a small cabin at schusters with a BIG group of guys through tuesday evening...has anyone heard anything on the bite so far?