• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnesota River Ice

So, who plans on fishing through the ice this winter? I'm not a big ice fishing fan but being so close to the river I'll do it on occasion. There's been some pretty nice eyes come up through a hole in the river ice over the years...just kinda freaky walking on Minnesota River ice! One time I even saw a pickup parked just off the ramp at Belle Plaine....no thanks! I think finding good ice over a good spot is a challenge but there are good areas where this will happen if we get a real good cold spell without the wind and snow.

I did not get out last winter on the river but hopefully I can this year. There's certainly no lack of areas I would like to investigate!

I have never fished the MN River through the ice. I'm still trying to figure out how to fish it with open-water,LOL grin.gif

There was major ice flows through Chaska today.

I tried to launch the RP at Chaska today and there was ice in the slack water at the base of the launch and lots of ice floating down the river.

Didn't get the boat wet. frown.gif

yeah it must have been breaking up also because I saw a bunch of huge floats as I drove over the bridge

Hey Dennis I have been meaning to ask you about Ice and the RP. Have you ever got caught in any? What did your impeller look like after?

BTW:

I got a new cover for my boat, check it out. We use it for running the MO River in December with heaters. Although it acts like a sail, it keeps me toasty when temps are in the teens. It slows me down about 10 MPH too!

RP.jpg

For freaking cool!! grin.gif

Or maybee I should say "warm"!

I'll run through ice.

You can move slowly ahead breaking up to 2 to 3" ice with the bow. If its sheet ice it doesn't get into the intake.Its just moves to the side.

I have fished the Monti area on the Miss in late December and into January. Most of the river stays open but when you run on plane it breaks up the shore ice. THen you have to skip 4" to 6" thick 'burgs on your way back. I've got a few "bumps" from skipping the thicker 'burgs.

Slush on the other hand is difficult to run through. Clogs up the intake. Clears off easily, but if its all around you, you just aren't going to get anywhere anytime soon.

Two seasons ago we fished through tons of slush on the MN. Going upstream was near immpossible. The slush was freezing together as we tried to make our way. We had one guy breaking up the freezing slush ahead of the baot and tyring to push it aside as we crawled forward with the trolling motor. The jet was useless in 10" thick freezing slush.

It was lucky that we even got off the river.

I would have launched the boat today, except getting her in the water looked challenging. If I wasn't alone today,I would have fished.

I would have fished with you man grin.gif..course I had to work again.

Well, I think my open water fun is fast coming to an end for this year. I checked three good spots today and all the deep slack eddy areas were iced over. I noticed a few die-hards out in boats at the Le Sueur ramp and one at Jordan. Belle Plaine is closed (No Trespassing) and under construction....course I trespassed anyway.

I do know of at least two spots that should be holding fish when it gets thicker ice. Maybe I should try and find my short rods and try it this year.

Hey Blake, I would even go in that RP in this weather! grin.gif

Cool deal there Blake! I was always thinking about how to make something like that using a clam shelter , but your design is too slick! Would work great in the summer I bet for those rainy days.

I must have just missed you today Dark, I was out cruising around late this afternoon , checking out the landings in Le Sueur and Henderson. Might give Henderson a try in the morning since no one has used it, the snow has been swept off, and just a little ice to break up at the bottom . Hopefully the rain holds off till later Sunday.

Be CAREFULL on the river ice, when it does freeze, The spot I fish up by Fort ridgley Is really high, with the rain and wet snow the river came up quite abit and the current is fast, Their is going to be some dangerous spots this year compared to years when river is low in fall. The fish could be in different areas also?

Dennis,

Who was that guy breaking the ice in the front of the RP last year????

.....and not even a call yesterday!!

I'm not feelin' the love man.....

I forget the guys name. grin.gif

The love is still there, but sometimes a guy enjoys a little peace and solitude. Thats how I learned the river, before all this web stuff.

LOL

Hey Icecold, You don't have to convince me to be careful on river ice...I get the creeps just thinking about bad river ice...Really pays to be SUPER careful. I'm ready to go..just not yet.

I always cringe when I see the three sets of snowmobile tracks under the bridges in kato around January.

I feel the love... grin.gif

Getting a little chilly this week. We may be done for a while anyway. Hardwater coming soon.........

checked the ice thickness on minnesota river today at a couple locations that I was hoping to maybe fish in the next day or so. Wrong... ! 1 to 2.5 inches thats it, I cant believe how high the river is for this time of year. With all the snow on ice it is all slush along edges, not worth risking a wet leg or worse, frown.gif