Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walldoggie

gps H2O

13 posts in this topic

So i have tried to read as much as possible on this unit it looks and sounds awesome, But as a new comer to gps I dont understand what the map create does, or will do to help me out. If i need to buy it or not. It seems a lot cheaper to buy it as the plus package. then buy it later. and if i do buy the plus package will it work with my macintosh(allready emailed lowrance about this Q). Probably rambling now but just want it spelled out to me in layman terms. So and (Contact US Regarding This Word) like me and figure it out. Thanks for any help. PS i am gonna also buy the lake master chip, would map create help thats any? SEE I KNOW NOTHING

walldoggie,

Really hard to try to explain this all by posting back and forth. Best thing I can think of is write down all of your questions and give me a call. We should be able to get them answered within a couple of minutes.

651-247-6053

If you plan on using it exclusively for water than the mapreate is not needed. The lakemaster chip will give you what you need to get to and around the water.

If you plan on using it for hunting/camping/hiking. Than Mapcreate will allow you to basically make a topograhic map of the area you will be in. You can then download it to a memorie card and then install that card into your H2O.

DO NOT INSTALL YOUR LAKEMASTER CHIP INTO A CARD READER!

I should have probably gave you a ring Paul before I ordered my H20 the other day. I figured that I'm going to use it to drive down the highway and to get my bum off the lake when the weather turns bad. Of course the Lakemaster MN chip will come in quite handy on a few lakes I plan on fishing this winter.

I didn't go with the Plus package, figured I probably wouldn't need it for my use. All I really want to do is find everyone else's fishing hot spots with it.

i will try to give you a call this week some time paul. thanks for all the help

why should you not install the lakemaster chip in the reader? also is the navionix(spell?) chip the same or more detailed? was hoping to save the navi. chip to a file on the comp. incase i lose the chip.

I copied my lakemaster chip to the comp. from my card reader and had no problems. The chip is fine and now I have a backup in case my chip gets mistakenly erased or lost. The rep. at gander where I bought it told me to copy it for safe keeping.

-jignjerk

That brings up a question then, if you can copy the lakemaster chip to your computer, can you download all that back on to a different chip? So essentially making copies of your lakemaster chip?

Because then that would bring up obvious bootlegging questions i would have!!!!

Walldog, It's no difference then copying music that you have on cd at home that you puchased legally and made a cd of your favorite songs for your car. I beleive it's fine as long as you don't distribute to other people or sell it to someone to become illegal. Your just safeguarding your property. As long as you only have one useable copy at a time you are fine. I.E. windows opperating software that you purchase ( windows 98,2000,xp) is only legal to put on one machine even though you can put it on as many as you would like. This is where honesty comes in to play. It gives you the option to reinstall it if your system crashs. ONE WORKING SYSTEM AT A TIME!

-jigginjerk

I didnt mean to sound like i was accusing you of something bad. I was just thinking if that were possible i was going to need to find a friend who had a copy shocked.gif so i didnt have to shell out the 100 bucks now i could shell out the 100 when the new one came out in feb or march.

I'm still learning about the chip stuff myself. I have been told by two different people that it is not a good idea to plug in the Lakemaster chip into a card reader specifically the one included with the lowrance map create software.

bought my lakemap chip today from the guys at lakemaster, seeing the sale at joes 20% off sale ran them out. They said it was fine to put it in a card reader but thats all i know is what they told me. confused.gif

I have heard that putting a Nav chip in a reader will erase the chip - in fact I think it happened to one of my buddies. The LM chip package says you can back it up, but doesn't go into any detail about how to do this. I want to make a backup copy of my LM chip, but haven't done so yet.