• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Has anyone been out ice fishing yet? I would like to go up this weekend. Is there any ice on the smaller lakes?

not much for ice on the lakes yet, hopefully that will change soon. I will be out on saturday hopefully at one of my spots, wont be long now.

They're talkin 25 for a high and 10 for lows on Thursday and Friday. If it is calm enough, it will be makin some ice. Just be careful everyone. USE COMMON SENSE PLEASE!

The ice is at a minimum even on the smaller ponds and lakes. We don't even have shore ice on the bigger lakes yet. With some cold temps things may change. I'd use caution if you do venture out. Our temps haven't been real cold yet. We'll keep you updated on the first signs of ice.

Jason Erlandson

My first ice lake has 3 inches on it. Didnt catch anything, just checked the ice. Going out this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

windy this weekend, so making ice will be a tough one. Walleye Dan, you know I only need 2 inches for my slender frame!!! grin.gif

I walked on some ice Tueesday, not too far out from shore. Lakes that had 2 -3 inches were Emily, Pine, and Perry. These are in the Cross Lake, Emily area. I didn't find any ice south of the Mississippi.

Got out yesterday on the river. 4 to 4.5 inches where we were. 4 of us had 8 tip-ups out. Had 33 flags. Caught 27 Pike. Size ranged from 4 to 12 lbs. All nice fish. Kept some for dinner and let the rest go. Early ice is great but be wary. We were in shallow(3 to 5 ft)water so the risk was minimal.

There were people skiing behind kites on 371 Bay since Thurs. And I saw a few guys out fishing so the ice is there.......don't know if I'd go yet.

JPZ,

No need to carry the AV with, you can see right through the ice right now you just need someone to pull your feet so you can cover some area. I was at Cabellas in Rodgers today and there are some pretty slick looking new units out there, will you give me the low down if I stop by?

Walleyedan

That's why I had to do a double take, no way was I going out there. The ice sails and kites and can have free reign of the ice for a while, those kids can really get moving.

Not being a lil fella I err on the side of thick ice, and anyway I never see the rush since by February your hard pressed to see any anglers even on the ice. I've been skunked on early ice and filled out using two extensions too. Be careful guys (9 months of winter, right?). It sounds like single digit lows later this week. If it is on a calm night, even I'll get the itch soon.

Bro-in-law and I ventured onto two separate lakes in the Emily / Outing area on Friday. Nobody out fishing anywhere that we could see. Found 3-inches on one lake, nearly 6 on another. Got a nice little batch of crappies, plus a number of small toothies. If nothing else, it whet the appetite for more . . . smile.gif

-a friend called Toad

P.S. Checked out Edward on Saturday. Looked like decent ice out there, although the extreme center may have been open.

Drove by Edward on Thursday (Thanksgiving)when it was so windy. Looked like it had frozen and then the wind was piling the center ice up and breaking it all apart.

I would be careful yet out there in the center as you said.

ccarlson

was out on two smaller bodies of water west of brainerd and there was 5" on both. No spectacular fishing caught 5 crappies the first day, including two 13". The second day caught probably 30 crappies and sunfish, but nothing that could be kept, although I did see two guys keeping the 5-6" bluegills and 8" crappies. With how cold its suposed to get we could be on the bigger lakes this weekend.

Good report Tyler, not a bad trip for the first of the season. Our ice making will depend on the wind we get over the next few days. I am a bit skeptical on big water ice for the weekend but walking on some bays may be reality. I'll post on the ice conditions again Friday.

Jason Erlandson

thanks for the info toad. you didnt happen to catch those crappies about 6 miles east of emily deep back in the woods.

Has anyone drove by gull lately? I hope it is still open, we dont want any bad ice. Should make ice this coming weekend...

We should place some dates for complete ice-up of hole in day bay for those interested..if it hasn't froze yet...

My guess is December 7th.....

Im sure Jason or Walleye Dan have some sort or formula for figuring it out, they're pretty smart sportsman!!! smirk.gif

Gull was wide open as of last night. I wish I had the formula, but Hop I think your prediction could be right on. I just looked at the ten day forcast and it looks like ice making weather. If the wind ever lays down she should seal up and that is all we need for it to start. Then ice making 24 hours a day.

Jason Erlandson

Our xmas break is coming up here in a couple weeks down here at school... Would it be far fetched for me to think about getting some hard-water walleye fishing in on Whitefish over the break? Our break is December 15th to January 3rd? If it is a possibility I had some trouble getting anything really out of the ice up there last year so if anyone has any tips or anything on where I might try to start some early ice fishing for some walleyes on the whitefish chain that'd be much appreciated. Good fishing!

Moses,

I just brought two of my chillins to school and I drive by Gull and a couple of other lakes along the way, they sealed the deal last night. I didn't stop to really study Gull, but it appears that most of it froze-up last night. There is not any wind right now either so I think we are on our way. The snow report looks good too, it's going to hit the south and the metro and hopefully it stays there for a while. To answer your question, you should be good to go on the WFC over your break. Try Lower Hay, it should be safe and is a good all around lake. Take a look at my website and look at the "what's biting" page, a guy with your name should appreciate the photo.

Have a good day,

Walleyedan

p.s. Hop, are you ready? I'm not!! I'm still thinking big bucks (the one's with horns). It won't be long and I'll have to be ready!!

Hey I really appreciate your help with the ice information and that great link! Thanks for giving me something to look forward to back home after finals week down here! Good Fishin!