• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ice fishing

fisherman_12006

We have time, let the ice get good and safe before we start making road trips from the cities and pushing the limits. I am a Waskish native and you will not catch me out on early ice on Red, one good wind and you will be deep water trolling with you ice rods if you are fortunate enough not to be standing on a crack when it bust apart. She is a big unforgiving water. I always worry about my fellow sportsmen trying to be the first ones out on Red. We do not need to start the URL ice season off on the wrong foot. Plus that is one very long walk from shore to get to the fish, and even a longer walk back soaking wet in the cold.

Well put Jon. Nobody wants get up to Red more than me. But I don't need to be the first guy out either. It seems the 4 inch ice rule barely applies up there. I've seen a real good sheet of ice on Red turn to ice chunk soup in a matter of a day. Anyways lets all plat it safe and we'll have a blast up there, and catch all the fish we want. Good Luck everyone, Kid

I was out yesterday. I drove out in a 4 door, crew cab Chevy pulliing my 18 foot long fish house. I had the extension with but I didn't need to use it.

hey,twelve and a half pound

what length extension did you not need?

also does anyone know where they're going to put the pressure ridge this year?

and is Patsy planning to move it anytime during this ice season?

12 1/2 pound didn't need the extension but the 8 foot periscope came in real handy. smile.gif

I really cann't believe it. People are talking about getting out on the ice before "Shorty" has even been out there. confused.gif We all know it is safe 2 (TWO) weeks AFTER "Shorty's" first trip out there.

Yes Patsy will probably move the ridges. You know kinda like the decorating thing, "I think it would look better over there. No, that's not right, move it a little to the left. No, that's not right either, put it back where it was FOR NOW." grin.gif

Great analogy Kelly, about both subjects. I am already nervous for the first van ride Shorty is going to give me out on the lake to see his road. And Patsy moving the things around, well, I better stay out of that one. She is a friend of mine and I would like to keep it that way. See you next week.

Matt Phelps

[Note from admin: please read forum policy befor eposting again]

i was up there for the first time a few years ago and the ice shifted when i was in my shack i though i was goin down that was the quickest i have ever seen my self jump out of my shack hahahha.

this report is from rogers campground

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Just came off the lake and everything looks good as far as I walked, found the ice to be 5 to 6 inches all the way out to 8 tenths of a mile, that is where I encountered my fist big crack. I could have stepped over it easily but I chose not too. I did leave a marker where I stopped and it is very close to where I started off last year, I did not check the depth but it should be close to 12 feet deep