Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
grumpyoldman

good eats

grumpyoldman

I tried something a little different this year. I was so tired of eating junk food or cold sandwiches when I was out pheasant hunting. I found an old camp stove on a garage sale several years ago. I could just as well use it. About noon each day I found a spot out of the wind and cooked up something warm to eat. The menu consisted of a variety of things such as: deer brats, cubed elk, cubed deer, walleye, perch, and crappie. Each day in the field was a real treat at noon. I even had some landowners looking forward to the weekends so they could have a hot meal at noon while working in the fields combining. Mrs. grumpy jokes that if I can't cook it in oil it can't be eaten. If anyone is interested in the recipes just ask.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Sawyer
      With the snow that fell last night, that literally is glued to the ice from the warm temps and light rain; and now seeing more in the forecast, it's sure setting up to be a very dangerous early ice season out there. Even Mud didn't freeze well. Only about an 1.5" a hundred yds from the road on Saturday. YIKES!
    • Chill62
      I heard that it was still open 10-14 days ago but with this cold it should be making ice quickly.  I was on a bigger lake Saturday and we had 7-8" on a lake that reopened last week when it warmed up.  I'd be very nervous about going across the lake especially crossing any deep water holes.  The next 7 days should be making very good ice though if weather holds true.
    • Bass Thumb
      Good share. I'm really itching to get out on some of those local lakes. I was thinking of trying today but I'm going to hold off now.
    • Rick G
      Thanks again, Don. Really do appreciate the updates!
    • Bass Thumb
      That's what happened to mine too.
    • Horseshoe_Don
      Went out this morning to check the ice on both sides of my peninsula.    Found ice anywhere from 1-4".   The area  found 1" i did not expect it.   There are also small ice heave air pockets with only 1 or 2" of ice on them and open water underneath.   Now with the fresh snow is is very hard to distinguish these little heaves or thin ice.   I am going to wait a few more days here yet and I know the ice here well.   I heard a report of a 4 wheeler on shoe, this is more than stupid.   No fish is worth your life.  Be safe   Don
    • geliason
      Can't get on the lakes yet, but there are still fish in the river.
    • Tom Sawyer
      You'd get a good laugh at what the consistent check cashers on the ice fishing circuits, have been have been using for years. $4.99  
    • monstermoose78
      I am always looking for better ice rods but I hate paying more than 50 bucks
    • CLPDB
      You could start by calling some resorts.  I've found that sometimes they have some for sale or other people have them for sale at the resort.