• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

16' Fisherman Taxi

Kevin Turner

Your solution is something like a tomcat swing-wing structure--a hull that curls down to give a big drift-shallow footprint, then up to make an ideal planing body, then once on a plane it curls back down to maximize shallow draft. Why don't you get right on that. I think I saw some materials that would do the trick in "Batman Begins."

ice

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kevin Turner

• MSRiverdog

• smallie_hawgin

• Ice9

KT send em my way I can put them up for ya. eraltena at gmail.com

Or you could try imageshack, they do the free webhosting stuff.

Ok here we go... KT's plan in action with the 2si motor and pump for the "fisherman Taxi" I think you may want a more catchy name though.... something like a river hound??? River Pro JR???? laugh.gif

2si2.jpg

2si1.jpg

2si4.jpg

2si5.jpg

2si6.jpg

Nice! grin.gif

Quote:

THX SH...

Yepper on the re-name.

Just don't take Baby Pro. I have a lock on that! grin.gif Looks sweet KT

I do love my job...But there are days when I question my sanity. (many around me question my sanity every day). KT

• 2 weeks later...

SO KT???? What's the prototype report Never heard how the 12° hull worked out for ya???? OR is it still in build status?? Too busy selling and building the RPs eh?? grin.gif Either way just curious... Hope the holidays treat everybody well... Dang I have a hankerin to be on some open water frown.gif.... Oh well.

Dumb question for KT, why don't they build boats out of Kevlar? I am a fairly experienced canoeist and know this material is very popular for canoes.

• 4 weeks later...

Ran the little critter this weekend. I do have some intake design issues to work on, but all in all it worked great.

I wonder how 2si's customer service will be. I'm not thrilled with 2si's turn around time for tech support or returning phone calls.

More to come...

Here are kt's latest photos (thumbs) of the taxi....

dscn19218fa.th.jpg

dscn19195vy.th.jpg

LOOOOOOOOKS NICE! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

THX Eric.

To compare apples to apples, we tested several different power units in the same basic hull design.

Hull specs: 18' LOA / 60" bottom width / .190 rear bottom section / .100 sides / 12 degree deadrise /

With my 230 lbs at the helm, in the bare boat pictured above: 70 HP 2si,35 mph on gps and planed in @ 1 to 1 1/2 boat lengths.

Same hull design, Merc 45 OB Jet, 33 mph & planed in 2 boat lengths.

Same hull design, 175 SJ, 52 mph, planed in 1 boat length.

Same hull design, 240 SJ, 63 mph, planed in 1 boat length.

BTW, this little thing is a blast to drive, 12 degree has little slide, so she handles very well.

The 2si unit has a ton of potential, but customer service & long term reliability are unproven at this time.

Jim, I haven't an answer for ya. I haven't recieved '06 pricing or EPA certification from 2si.

Till then, the Taxi project is on hold.

Cool !!!!!

Looks like I need to some more cover work soI can have ONE

Live well in front of the motor? cool.gif

Nice job Kevin

KT, that's not a taxi, that's a "Raptor". When it's done it will be too cool for words. cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

Quote:

KT, that's not a taxi, that's a "Raptor". When it's done it will be too cool for words.
cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

Yepper, This is not the Taxi. We've built several of these hulls for testing. I'm not a fan of the side, rear console, (I try to distance myself from the Tracker look, sorry HT) but the MO market is hot after it.

Quote:

Cool !!!!!

Live well in front of the motor?
cool.gif

Not a good spot for the live well where engine heat can be an issue. I plan to insulate the eng compartment to deal with heat & noise. This set up is for testing only.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't touched it since I took the pics. I plan to run the guts out off this little motor. If it holds up, I launch the product line next fall. KT