• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Which Rifle is best for me?

nluchau

Yeah, my Wisconsin hunting included the slugs for the young buck drivers and the high-powers for the old fat guys posting. grin.gif

stfcatfish,

Thanks for trying to keep this thread on track.

I was at walmart tonight and l held a 710 rem .270 and opened the bolt and it pulled right out of the barrel. What a cheap POS. I also looked at the Win .270 wsm. Yet another POS. The bolt went up and it almost hit the scope. This is just my opinion on these models. No need to bash me.

I am still thinking about the Tikka .270 wsm though. It looks as though the only place in Fargo-Moorhead to get the shells for this gun is Scheels or Gander Mtn. Walmart didn't carry any that I saw.

The scope will probably still be the Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40.

You guys need to try selling me on either one of these Rifles.

Tikka .270 wsm

Tikka .270 win

Either will be Stainless Synthetic

nluchau:

When you pulled back on the bolt of that 710, the bolt retaining lever on the left side of the action where it seats to the stock was probably tripped. The lever is there to allow you to fully remove the bolt for cleaning. Pulled up, it allows the bolt removal. Pushed down, it holds in the bolt. I just picked up a Rem 710 this year in 30-06 with a Bushnell 3x9 and dropped both my deer with it. The shaft of the bolt only comes to about half and inch from my scope, so on mine it's not close to hitting the scope at all, and doesn't affect my cycling of rounds.

I like the gun a lot, particularly what you get for an affordable (for me) price. My eye always goes to the top models, but my wallet can't afford to follow. And the 710 is marketed as Remington's most affordable combo. I got the Rem new in the box, scope factory mounted, from a private dealer for $100. Can't beat that with a stick!

My feelings about whether to pick .270 or .270 WSM are already here in a previous post, so I won't go back over that.

Either way, I think you're getting a good gun. Have fun with it and become an expert at what it can and can't do. And always be safe! grin.gif

It is nice to see a guy go and check guns out as much as you have. You are really doing your homework. I have the Nikon Monarch binos and just love them. The optics are unbelievable, havn't looked at their scope but if they are anything like the binos you will be very happy.

Don't get too hooked up on the cal. either the 270 or 270wsm are good cals and the ballastics are so close it doesn't really matter. If availablity of shells are a concern then stick with the 270 as it is tried and proved many times over and stocked by almost everybody who has shells whereas the 270wsm is new and not as available.

I mentioned this before but will say it again because I know many a guy has gone and purchased a gun that felt great in the store and brought it home and when they went out it just didn't fit. You will be shooting with different clothes than most times in the store. Most times you will have a coat, sweater etc on out hunting and the arm length etc changes.

Keep up the good work and you will be happy with your choice. Don't second guess yourself when somebody brings out another rifle and says this is the BEST. It may be the BEST for them but get to know your rifle and it WILL be the BEST FOR YOU.

Nluchau,

Try checking out the Browning A-bolt medallion 270 wsm... you'll like that bolt action. Not to mention the palm swell for a nice grip!

All;

Thanks again for your reliable replies to my "Rifle Searching" dilemma.

stCatfish,

You were right that the bolt release was tripped that is why it came fully out. I just didn't like the cheapness that was put into that gun. I can see where you come from by saving money. I'm glad that gun is working well for you, and by all means appreciate your replies to my 100 questions. Your awesome.

Canuck,

My wife said the same thing about doing my homework before I decide completely what I want. I just want something I will like for life and that I can pass on down to my kids in the far-fetched future.

Buzzsaw,

My father in law said I should look at browning too. I will check out the rifle you posted.

Thanks Guys. I will be back probably asking more questions.

Nick

Buzzsaw,

I just checked out that browning online and that sure looks like a nice gun. It's alittle more than I would like to spend though.

Thats the gun I have (Browning A-Bolt medalion hunter) 270 WSM and I would give it a very high recommendation. wink.gif

I may be wrong but I believe that Brownings are now made in Japan. The barrel is made in the USA (good barrel) and then shipped to Japan. The original Browning were made in Beligum and were great guns. Guns are like cars, one year they are made right up to par and then the company tries to save money and ships them off to a knock off country. I am not knocking Browning, actually like them, (most) but they are partially living on their past reputation.

You are right, guns should be passed down in the family. My wife has 2 guns her uncle willed to her, a 38-55 and 32, both Win. 1864s. They probably will never be fired again but were her uncle's prize possessions and she just loves them.

I've made my choice and put the gun on layaway. I dont need it for another year anyway why not pay it off as I get alittle extra money here and there.

I picked up the Tikka .270 wsm stainless barrel, synthetic stock with a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 Scope. Can't wait to shoot it next year.

I just want to thank everyone who helped suggest different options since I've never owned a gun in my life. You guys rock. I can't thank you enough.

I did also look at the Browning A-Bolt Medallion and didn't care for it. Tikka wins again. grin.gif

Congrats. I am sure once you get the feel and know your gun it will do all you ask of it and it will be something to pass down the line. Now U will have to start and look for a scatter gun or muzzle, once hooked there is no turning back.

Thanks Canuck. I will stick with the rifle a few years and probably will want a shotgun then too. Who knows