• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for a specific battery "charger"

tashit

Question

I saw this on here awhile ago but of course I don't remember it and can't find it in a search. I don't think it's an actual charger, but it's a device that will let me use the alternator from the big motor to charge the trolling motor battery. However the trolling motor will only use the trolling motor battery and the big motor will only use the starting battery. It's for my dad's boat and there isn't an onboard charger or anything like that. Anybody know of what I'm looking for or have any experience with it? I thought I remember it being fairly expensive so I don't know if it's even worth it but I wanted to look into it for a Christmas present for my dad. Thanks!

Matt

8 answers to this question

Are you talking about a battery isolator? That will allow you to charge both and use only one or the other.

That may be what I'm looking for. I'll have a look around and see what I can find. Thanks!

I'm not positive, but Daul Pro & Stealth Charging Systems may have what you need.

Dual Pros Pro Xtra II does exactly what you are looking for for about $100. I use one and can recommend it highly.

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys. Now is there any difference between this Dual Pro and a cheaper battery isolator?

A quick google seach came up with several models for under fifty bucks, some as low as twenty-nine. Their ad states:

" For 2-battery systems. Automatically charges auxiliary battery as you drive, never overcharges . Self-contained electrical system converts alternator or generator to safe, efficient charger . Automatically isolate both the auxiliary and vehicle batteries so the discharge of one does not drain the other's power.

This type unit does not "plug in".... and it only charges the batteries while you are running the big motor. Unless you run the big motor a fair amount it may not be enough.

Mac's right. If you run an hour + with your outboard this may be what you are looking for. For most MN lakes, the small amount of times running your outboard to get to a fishing spot doesn't pay off. The alternator will spend the whole time capping off the starter battery.

Dual Phase II used to be an onboard charger and interlink system from the alt. (Thus the name) This company is no longer around, but there are others that have taken their place.

Actually I believe Minn Kota bought Dual Phase, then phased it out grin.gif

Thanks for the replies. It would mostly come in handy when we are at the cabin because we often forget to drag the battery charger down to the dock to charge the batteries. The boat is also used a little bit for watersports which would help with charging. It's really only a convenience factor and I don't want to spend a ton of money on it but my dad would like it. It may be a better idea to just get him an onboard charger.