• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

bulk propane question

John Mickish

Question

Can a person with the proper adapter run a lantern or mr. heater (both designed for disposable cannisters) off of a larger 11Lb propane tank? Are the pressures the same or does a guy need a pressure regulator? I've seen it both ways.

4 answers to this question

I do. I run my Mr Buddy heater off a 25# tank. I use it in my deer stand also. I attach my Mr Heater right to the tank.

It will probably be an unauthorized link so I won't post it, but look at cabelas web site for item number: IF-510724

It might be just what you are looking for.

The Mr. Heater should have a built in pressure regulator. I'm not sure about a lantern though.

Gus

You don't need any special regulator. $15 will buy you a hose that hooks your buddy to any standard larger propane cylinder. I use 1 pounders a fair amount, but when weight's not an issue and I'm not jumping around from spot to spot, I bring the #20 along. And my heater runs better on a #20 because the pressure is more constant. With the 1-pounders, after a couple hours it starts flickering.

Cabelas, Gander, etc., they all have them.

One note: It takes a bit longer to get the heater to fire when you're drawing LP through a 5-foot hose than when a 1-pounder is directly connected, so you gotta be a bit patient.