Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Studer

Arrow Flight Change

Studer

Yesterday I bought some new Beman 400 Black Max arrows and three new 100 grain fixed blade broadheads. I shot the bow with the new arrows in it this morning and my arrows seem to be grouping low and right. I looked at the vanes and they seem to be straight. With a fixed blade broadhead, do I need to have them matched up with a helical vane for more of a twisting action? My last arrows had fixed blade with a helical vane and I was right on. Suggestions??

Gus

Are these new arrows the same arrows that you had previously sighted in your bow with? If not they are likely to fly a little differently. I think you just need to adjust your sights.

Regardiing the fletching, a higher degree offset or even helical will spin the arrows faster which should stabilize the arrow better. The trade off is speed. Not much but some speed. If your arrows are flying well (not fishtailing or anyting funky) I think you should just set your sights according to the new arrows. You should also check to make sure you don't have fletching contact when you are not suposed to. I don't know what kind of rest you have so that's hard to speculate about now. Also contrary to the old wives tale you do not need to have your BH's lined up with your fletching. It's been proven in wind/smoke tunnels that the blades are far enough away from the fletchings that it makes no difference in arrow flight. You should do the spin test to make sure your BH is spinning true though (not wobbly when spinning)

Good luck

Studer

Thanks Gus. I have a drop away rest so that is not an issue. The new arrows are a smaller diameter and have straight fletchings. I also had feathers and now I have vanes. I think if I am going to shoot the Black Max's then I just need to resight it with feild points, then put the broadheads on. When you say spin test, do you mean check to see if the arrow is true. They are carbon so they are either true or broken. My big thing is that I have got a big hunt all weekend long and hate to start screwing with stuff. If I have time I will otherwise I will just use my old arrows and broadheads. They still work great I just broke a couple arrows and needed to get some more in the case. Thanks for your help Gus!!

CrappieJohn

Studer....

If you have the old enough of the old to get you thru the weekend, that the route I would take. When you get back, take some time to tune the arrows and bow to each other. Now would be a challenge.

Gus

I agree with CrappieTom. If you have enough arrows to make the weekend hunt I would use those until you have it fine tuned.

By spin test I mean spinning the arrow with the broadhead on so you can be certain the insert is straight with the arrow so it doesn't cause the broadhead to wobble. I think the arrows you have may have the HIT (hiddin insert technology) or equivalant so you most likely won't have that happen but it's still a good idea to check. Sometimes you will have an arrow (carbon or alum) where the insert isn't glued in straight and it will cause the broadhead to wobble when spun.

I hope I'm describing it good enough for you to get the idea. I'm having a bit of trouble putting it to words.

Gus

ps, good looking dog you have there.

Ben1022

Ditto what CrappieTom said...if you have enough arrows that you originally used to get thru the hunt, do that. If not, all you really have to do is make a move w/your sight if the new arrows are grouping. One thing I would do if you have the time, is to select one of the new arrows that is flying good. Then, nock it and note the orientation of the broad head when it is nocked. Then, take the rest of them and heat the insert w/the broadhead in it and spin to the same orientation as the one that is flying correctly. This isn't absolutely necessary but for consistency's sake, it's a good thing to do. Time is your limiting reagent in this equation but as long as you're arrow is flying good and you're grouping, you can easily make the sight movement and be spot on for the big boy when he comes in! Good luck.

Cooter

My .02 worth, I'd certainly use helical vanes/feathers, especially with the drop away taking care of contact problems. Personally, I wouldn't even consider straight fletching.

Studer

Thanks for all of your help. Cooter- I agree. I think what I will do is use the set-up I have now and when I get back I will first get some helical vanes put on and then start re-sighting the bow. Thanks for all of your help guys. That is what I love about this site, lots of opinions and enough where I can sit back, read them, and make an educated decision for myself. I will let you know how I do!!