• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Legal distance??

ricqik

I read and reread the regulation book and no where did it mention the allowable archery hunting distance from a dwelling. Firearm is 500' but no mention for archery. Does that mean I can sit in the tree just 40yds away from a house? It's a real productive spot.

The tree is on public, it's actually a roll of tree's on the boundry between his lawn and the WMA.

I'd say its fair game. Even the 500' with a firearm is not a hard rule. If you had permission from the homeowner to sit in that tree and shoot you could...

There are thousands of acres to hunt in Mn. Please don't go into someones backyard, within sight of the homeowner and wait for a deer to eat out of their garden (unless they don't mind). This is NOT hunting and you are probably just looking for trouble.

Go INTO the woods and enjoy what hunting is all about !!

You're probably right about being too close even though it's legal. This has nothing to do with shooting a deer from their garden or side of the property. Just because one sit's next to the border doesn't mean it's not hunting. I've hunted this area for years and scouted and watched deers movement while hunting and have come to a decision of if it was legal to sit there or not. I've watch as deer after deer even bruisers walk by this woodline. About garden hunting, wouldn't hunting next to a crop field such as corn, bean, alfalfa be the same? You're still hunting off a food source that is planted by man.

The way it sounded to me was that you were going to hunt right on the edge of their yard or something. What i meant was not to hunt within view of someones house. Figure out where they are entering this area and get in the woods a little ways, there has got to be trails the deer are using to access this area. Good luck !!

Sorry to sound that way. 40yds was just an exapmle. I wouldn't sit in a tree that is in plain view from his windows, it's just not comfortable for me. I may even go ground blind just to stay out of his view. There's some pretty thick undergrowth and brushes.

The fact that you're asking other people their opinion tells me you must be fairly responsible and considerate of others.

I'm not sure about if it is legal to be that close with a bow but if it is and this guy is cool with it, I'd say hunt the spot as long as you are safe an not shooting toward the house. I'd feel differently if you were using a gun, obviously.

As far as that not being hunting, I'd disagree. To each their own I guess. But you're not shooting at a penned deer. The deer is free to roam wherever he wants and still has to come by your stand. And you still have to make yourself undetected and then make a good shot. Just because there's a house or cabin nearby doesn't make the deer any less wild or a "tame" or a domesticated animal. There are plenty of people who bowhunt metro zones every year that would make the same arguement.

I agree with chucker. Also, I'd agree with past comments- ask for the guys permission and make it clear that you will be safe and curtious and that you won't be on his land or in his yard. If he says no way, move further down the tree row and find a similar spot. Good luck and let us know if you stick a biggun.

Why ask this guy's permission? He chose to build next to public hunting ground, he can't control whether someone bow hunts in a WMA! I really don't agree with the need to even address this guy, other than obviously not endangering him/his family in any way with where you are shooting...

If its public land, then he shouldn't have to, unless the 500 foot rule applies to bowhunting as well. Might be a nice courtesy to drop by sometime though and let the guy know he'll be there so they both feel more comfortable with it.

I see a new house every year pop up that is being built around this WMA. Acouple of yrs ago I had to give up my most productive spot because someone decide to build their house just 15yds from the border. I'm quickly running out of funnel areas. I love bowhunting this area because there's no firearm deer hunting allowed. It won't be long before the State decides to close the area because of the houses.

the only problem i see is how weird would it be if you shoot the deer and it runs and dies on his lawn!! Sit there and gut it out in front of the family and neighbors... grin.gif

Tough situation, that, quite frankly I'm growing sick of.

Happens by me all the time. Hobby farms or small residential subdivisions make headway into the country, and can "control" (from a hunting perspective) many more acres yet. If you stick hard and fast to the 500' rule, someone who builds on the corner of a 3 acre property (often desirable locations near woods) can control nearly 14 acres in a 500' radius all around them! It's really ridiculous around us.

Then, if they know you're hunting, they run a leaf-blower, weed-whip, lawn-mower, wood-chipper, or chainsaw while you're out hunting. Who knows what that does to deer movement, especially in farm country, but it's mostly annoying knowing that they're really targeting you. Especially when they say so. Local enforcement can't charge a guy for mowing his lawn, and how do you prove it's hunter harassment?

Last deer season, new family moved adjacent to the family farm, and he proceeded to post "no hunting or trespassing" signs every 30 yards, pointing directly into our wooded land.....these are not even access points people! It's as if he were fearful we'd try to slug hunt in his putting green of a lawn, near the road, and his house! He then proceeds to walk his line every hour, on the hour, in brown carharrts no less, and a whitish-blue baseball cap! He lives near a crossing point, and there is no doubt in my mind he kept deer in the adjacent woodlot from crossing over to ours. Is that harassment or not?!?

Maybe I'm just growing tired and indignant of that kind of behavior, but I'm more and more taking the attitude of doing whichever is within my legal power to hunt the way I like. I will always give a landowner the benefit of the doubt, and try to stop and talk to him. But letting him flex the rules to prevent hunting in our adjacent 14 acres is ridiculous.

Sorry for the rant!

Joel

jnelson. The law as I read it says you can't be within 500 feet of a dwelling when on public land or on another person's private property. I would take that to mean that if you were on your own property (even if within 500 feet of the neighbor's house), and not someone else's private property, you would be good to go. Of course, you still need to be safe and if you'd like, courteous.

As far as the other stuff goes, that sucks. Sounds like he's passive aggressive and doing what he can just short of being considered harassment. I would call the authorities if it becomes more blatant. Take heart in knowing that as long as there is habitat, the deer should adjust to the noise and movement of the extra people. Unless it gets out of control.