• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Can't shoot a duck

Anyone have any advice on correcting for left eye dominance while shooting right handed? Any good ways to correct this...other than shooting left handed

Thanks

I don't mean for this to sound sarcastic so please forgive me if it does.

Shoot with both eyes open and practice, practice, practice. I had the same problem and I'll never win a shooting competition, I'm not that bad of a shot, either.

Aw bummer! That has to drive you crazy. The previous poster is right in shooting with both eyes open if you can do it. One of those spinning targets and a lot of time with a 22 might be good medicine for this.

Have you tried shooting lefty? It will be hard, but it could be worth trying.

I am also right handed, but left eye dominant. I am glad my dad caught it when I was about 8 years old. For me to even try and shoot a gun or bow right handed now feels really wierd.

I've struggled with this for years too, both with shotgun and worse with rifle scopes. I have pretty much resigned myself to closing my left eye as I haven't overcome it totally. With the shotgun it doesn't get to me as bad as with the scopes though for some reason.

They do have a thing where you can shoot (I've seen it done with trap shooting) with shooting glasses and put a sticker of some sort over part of the left eye lens so that it can't focus. This is supposed to help train that right eye I guess, I've never tried it.

Boilerguy is right too, practice is the answer... Shooting is just like any physical act, it requires hand eye cordination and practice. Tiger Woods has hit tens of thousands of golf balls to train his body to swing, you need to shoot a lot to be good too, its no different.

Also while shooting try using an eye patch in order to correct dominance issues force your eye to adjust. If all else fails seek a gun pro just an afternoon of instruction would be worth while.

I had that problem when I first started shooting. I am right handed everything, but when I tried shooting like that I couldn't. I realized I was left-eyed dominate, so I started shooting lefty.

Give it a try, what could it hurt. I always thought it would be cool to be like an amidexerious(sp?) shooter.

Good Luck, and keep shootin.

I'm left eye dominant and shoot righhanded. I didn't discover it until I was about 30. I close my left eye when I shoot. I'm a better than average shot but I wish I would have started out lefty when I was younger. If you can switch to lefty I would do so even if it feels awkward at first you will be a much better shooter.

I recall reading about some stick on dots that you could put on your shooting glasses that forced you to look more through your non dominant eye. They were available in different colors for whatever color lens were in your glasses. They allowed you to shoot with both eyes open and line up sights properly with your non dominant eye. If Cabelas or Basspro doesn't have them check Midway or Dillon they carry alot of neat stuff for shooters.

The product that lawdog and I are refering to is called Browning Magic Dot they are available from midwayusa, 6 for about 14 bucks.

Thank you my friend Ron. When ever I see him at the trap range I always see tape over his left lense. I alway forgot it ask him why. I never thought of that. I ALWAYS shoot with 2 eyes open with shooting trap. but I always forget to with duck or goose hunting.

later guys good luck with any hunting and BE SAFE

A tiny piece of black tape on your non dominant lens will have you cleaning ducks.(lower corner).Keep both eyes open!!

I am also left eye dominant. I have blurred vision if I keep both eyes open so I close my right when shooting. I have been doing this now for 40 years and there are not to many then can out shoot me in the field.

Start shooting left handed now, it will get easier the more you shoot.

One of the best all around shooters I've ever known had this problem. When competing, he would put a strip of Scotch tape across the left lense of his shooting glasses. He could still see through it, but it was enough to make his right eye do the work for shooting.

Anchor, I'm in the same boat. The only thing that solved it was shooting in a trap league, aka lots of practice. For me, eventually without even thinking about it I was shooting with both eyes open and seeing down the barrel with my right eye. Since I quit shooting in the trap league I'm back to closing the left and in my opinion (don't we all) I'm a good shot. It may be because I shoot a lot, when I throw up my deer rifle and look through the scope I'm always on the target. So I'd say it's a practice thing, I'd think even practicing with an unloaded gun tracking objects, of course in a safe environment.