• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kitchi Lake advice

Hello! This seems to be a great forum. I'm kinda new to fishing but enthusiastic. My family and I will be fishing up on Kitchi Lake in MN the first week of Aug. I'm just going to bring my reg rod and reel. Medium rod, 6' with 8lb test. My brother in law says I need something bigger for the big ones, but my dad says I'll probably catch more fish with mine. Any advice? Thanks in advance

max

I'm sure our Kitchi experts will chime in with more/better advice, but if I was there in that heat in August, I would plan on being on the water both very early and in the evening as the Sun settles. I guess it all depends on what you are really trying for 'cause if you are fishing for Pike I think you will have to look in the deep water. I would start shallow with Mepps spinners first though. I have no solid advice for you on Walleye except to drag crawlers on the 5-10' breaklines. Weedbeds will be grown way up so that might be a little tough. For Perch, I would try the shallows near the reeds with live bait or go into the river. For a nice ride, go up river into Little Rice. That is a small enough lake that you can fish most of it in a day. I would throw some white spinners (beetle spins or spinnerbaits) at the shoreline and you might run into a nice LMB or Pike.

Lots of water to fish so give anything else you like a try and you just might get lucky.

Above are just some of my ideas for you to try. I'm sure you know that the only sure thing is that there is no such thing as a sure thing!

Good luck,

Just got back from Kitchie last week. It was very hot all week. Didn't find the walleyes but did have some luck with a few Northern Pike in about 6 feet of water along the weeds. All were caught on daredevils about 3 inches long, even lost a Muskie on the same lure. Perch were all over the weeds chomping on the minnows. Good luck!

Quote:

Just got back from Kitchie last week. It was very hot all week. Didn't find the walleyes but did have some luck with a few Northern Pike in about 6 feet of water along the weeds. All were caught on daredevils about 3 inches long, even lost a Muskie on the same lure.

--What size rod/reel ect spinning rod, bait cast, fly or...?

You would probably be wise to bring at least 2 or 3 rods (for each person). I would recommend a spinning rod, Med action, 8 pound fireline for throwing smaller crank baits, and lindy rigging for walleyes. I would also have an ultra light spinning rod and reel with 4 pound test line for perching, gills, etc. Next, try to bring a bait casting reel & rod, 8 pound fireline, Med action, for trolling with cranks, bottom bouncing for walleyes, throwing bass-type lures for Northerns, etc.

The problem with Med action, most manufacturers have their own ideas of the different actions. You want a pole in either case which is sensitive to detect a walleye pull, and yet have enough backbone to set a hook. You don't want a soft noodle, nor do you want a stiff board. Hope this helps, good luck, Col Ron

Max fischer,

Col Ron's suggestions sound darn good to me. I have to laugh at "2 or 3 per person" though. When my sisters and nephew went with me this past June, we always went out with at least 16-20 rods in the boat. One of our favorite sayings is "you can never have too many rods". Of course like Col suggests they are all pre-rigged - we go with slip bobbers, round bobbers, jigging, trolling, casting, and even a cane pole.

One thing I want to add though in case you are unaware: You can only use one rod at a time legally. It is very tempting to have a bobber or a dead line over the side while casting, but it is NOT worth the risk and the fine.

Good luck and take some pics for us to see when you get back.

....Next, try to bring a bait casting reel & rod, 8 pound fireline, Med action, for trolling with cranks, bottom bouncing for walleyes, throwing bass-type lures for Northerns, etc.

--I'd like to try a baitcasting rig, but I heard they were kinda hard to use. If I did, what price for a basic?

Max

It was 4 of us...and it didn't help us catch more, but sure came in handy for making quick changes AND when the inevitable of mess ups with reels, rods, and line breaking happened at one time or another.

Gene, I can relate to the rods and reels. When someone has a neighboring garage sale, I try to sell a few and keep the numbers down.

As for specifics, I am not promoting any tackle, but this is what I like to use THIS year: Baitcasting-Fenwick HMG 7" rod. I go with the 3/8 to 1 1/4 oz lure wieght to handle the bottom bouncers. The length give you the flexility you want and the backbone is there for the largest walleye. It also handles the long snells we are using, so you don't have to stand on the boat seat to net your fish!! Reel for baitcasting-as I said, this year I am using Pflueger Trions.

Max, it sounds like you are not up to date on many of the techniques, equipment, etc. Catching walleyes, of good size, is one of the hardest things to learn. If you are going out by yourself, I would suggest sticking to Northern and perch fishing. I am not trying to sell my services or Brian's. You can spend a ton of money on equipment and if you don't use the right techniques, use the right bait, and toll the right speed, etc, it is difficult to caught 18" plus walleyes, especially in the warm water. The Pike should be turning on nicely when you come, and the perch are starting to bite good. It's your decision. Best of luck to you and your family, Col Ron

Quote:

Max, it sounds like you are not up to date on many of the techniques, equipment, etc. Catching walleyes, of good size, is one of the hardest things to learn. If you are going out by yourself, I would suggest sticking to Northern and perch fishing. I am not trying to sell my services or Brian's. You can spend a ton of money on equipment and if you don't use the right techniques, use the right bait, and toll the right speed, etc, it is difficult to caught 18" plus walleyes, especially in the warm water. The Pike should be turning on nicely when you come, and the perch are starting to bite good. It's your decision. Best of luck to you and your family, Col Ron

Quite honestly, I don't know anything, I'm totally a beginner. Last time I went fishing in MN I was fourteen. I think I used a Zebco and spinner tackle. I've been going around here a little. I'd be happy if I just caught a few northern.

thanks again for the advice

Max

Max,

Let me give you some advice on northern fishing.

Mepps spiners around the reeds. That's all you need to know. Get yourself some #4 and #5, get multiple types (white/red stripes is one of my favorites, and black with green dots is darn good too) and cast and troll. It's that easy. Just toss em back. Keep your limit, that's cool. But please don't do what one guy did last year and keep like 50 or something. You should catch a bunch of em. Also, you can dunk big ole minnows under a bobber around the reeds, too!!

Take care and good fishing!!

Gowdy cool.gif

Quote:

Max,

Let me give you some advice on northern fishing.

Mepps spiners around the reeds. That's all you need to know. Get yourself some #4 and #5, get multiple types (white/red stripes is one of my favorites, and black with green dots is darn good too) and cast and troll. It's that easy. Just toss em back. Keep your limit, that's cool. But please don't do what one guy did last year and keep like 50 or something. You should catch a bunch of em. Also, you can dunk big ole minnows under a bobber around the reeds, too!!

Take care and good fishing!!

Gowdy
cool.gif

Do you used the dressed ones or the regular ones?

Max,

In the summer and fall, I like the hair. In the spring, the bald ones seem to work better.

Take care and don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.

Gowdy

I saw this at Wal Mart: Shimano Callisto CSO-100 baitcasing rod and reel combo for $60. It seems incrdibly cheap. What do you guys think? Buy the cheapie, or wait and buy something better next year?

Max,

Just my 2 cents. I would get what you want, when you have the dough. Saying that, anymore, you can get solid stuff for not that much money.

What I do is I have top of the line stuff, then I have the cheap stuff that I let the Texans use (that'll get them stirring).

Take care,

Gowdy cool.gif

See you had to bring in bald in your discussions as well now.

Mepps black fury will tear them up every time, black with orange dots and black with lime green dots worked best for us...

Texan

Quote:

Max,

Just my 2 cents. I would get what you want, when you have the dough. Saying that, anymore, you can get solid stuff for not that much money.

What I do is I have top of the line stuff, then I have the cheap stuff that I let the Texans use (that'll get them stirring).

Take care,

Gowdy
cool.gif

Geez Gowdy, I just joined this forum and now you got me in a fight! lol. shocked.gif

Max,

Those black Mepps that the Texan was talking about are darn good. Get yourself a bunch of those. Also, a very important thing is to have top of the line swivels. If you go with the cheapos, you'll have tons of line problem.

Take care and good luck,

Gowdy cool.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to thank everyone for their good advice. We didn't catch as many as we would have liked, but we did catch some decent panfish. Oh well. I guess it just was the wrong week, or month. Maybe in June or the fall

thanks again

Max