Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
TonkaBass

When will it ever stop???

TonkaBass    0
TonkaBass

Ranger bass boats are pushing over 50k now, not to mention the truck used to pull it will easily bring in 30k. I still think senkos are overpriced, but hey, lets face it. This is the best sport known to mankind and we're clearly willing to spend whatever it takes to get on the water! Good luck Fishing! (I once heard that time spent on the water doesn't count against your life, sweeeeet!)

ZOKU    0
ZOKU

*nod*

That sucks. frown.gif $50K is insane... I'm hoping to pick up something used next season... not necessarily a Ranger but something else that floats will do me just fine. heh heh. grin.gif

Rost    0
Rost

I fished with a guy in a 621 with a 250 yammy 4stk. He commented how the boat was a tad over $55k after adding electronics and other options. Unreal!

Keith_MN    0
Keith_MN

Tonka,

I shouldn't admit this, but here goes.....

I own two boats. The first boat is a 12' Alumicraft with a 10 horse merc. Total investment - less than $1,500. My second boat is a 16' Smoker with a 60 horse Mariner. Total investment - a little more than $10 grand.

So which boat do I use the most, catch the most fish out of, and get the most enjoyment from? Answer : Its not the $10,000 Smoker.

For the type of fishing I enjoy and do the most of (ie Smallie fishing on the Mississippi) the smaller, cheaper, low maintenance boat is the only way to go. Even on smaller lakes my smaller boat would probably catch me just as many fish.

Moral of the story - We don't have to have a $40k boat to enjoy fishing. They may have their time and place (eg Mille Lacs, Leech, LOW, etc); but for you and I a $1,500 may be all we need.

Enjoy!

federline    0
federline

Amen, Keith.

I've got a 12' Alumacraft with a 6HP short shaft Evi and a tilt trailer. Total investment is about $800, and that's with a high-speed transducer for my Lowrance x67c Ice Machine, a MinnKota 35lb troller with deep cycle battery, swivel seats, anchor system and lighting! I flopped the head on the transom troller around 180 degrees and clamped it to the bow, and do most of my finesse fishing from the front seat.

I don't make it back to the dock very quick, but I can sit on top of fish and troll, with a buddy, just fine. The tilt trailer lets me launch where there is no launch, and to reload from a beach. I can go fishing by myself without breaking a sweat at the launch, and without fearing damage to equipment or me.

The only drawback - I can't do big water and stay safe. Oh well, I guess I'm just stuck fishing 98% of the MN lakes and those wonderful small streams and rivers. smile.gif I have friends with bigger boats and charters/launches to get me out on big water.

I'm very happy to fish realtively unknown lakes without expense or hassle. smile.gif

Wet a line!

-Jim

waskawood    0
waskawood

This post really got me thinking about what a wonderful sport we do have. We can enjoy it from age 2 to age 100+. We can do it year around. Physically disadvantaged people can do it as well as the advantaged. Girls can do it as well as boys. We can spend as much or as little as we want and enjoy as much as the next guy. Thanks for opening my eyes to what a great sport fishing really is.

P.S. Take a non fisher person out this weekend and show them what they are missing.

TonkaBass    0
TonkaBass

As a youngin' I used to be involved in sports. I always dreamed of fishing tournaments though. My dad once said, "you can do sports and travel, but i would much rather you fish tournaments, it's something you can do until you're 90." The second season after starting tournament fishing, he passed away in a boating accident. I still thank him to this day for giving me the chance to fish!

hawkeye43    2
hawkeye43

And how many of you go out fishing just to be there. I think its the best. It does'nt matter if the fish bite or not, just to be on the water. Tonight I spent 2 hours looking for new places to fish and found some very nice spots. This weekend a diver on the lake I was on told me about a spot that had 9 bolders the size of trucks that were in a circle in 20 fow. I have fished this bay for years and it wasnt until tonight that I found this. Makes you feel like a kid in a candy store. cool.gifcool.gif You don't need a 55k boat to have fun. grin.gif

Slyster    0
Slyster

Yep.. many days on my favorite lake I KNOW I could be catching bucketloads of fish in my faithful hot spots.. but I will take the whole day just checking out new areas and hunches.. sometimes without catching anything!.. and those days can be even more satisfying than a day with a lot of fish.

Willy    0
Willy

You don't have to have a 40-50K boat to have fun or catch fish. But I have a 14 fter with a 9.9 and a 16.5 ft. with a 60 and I don't mind the little one, but am much more efficient with the bigger boat. Not to say fish can't be caught in a little boat, but a bigger one is easier to control IMO.

CH47    0
CH47

My 2 cents: I went out this morning to a small pond near work for 45 minutes before the storms. No boat, just a fishing pier, my pole and a few lures. Didn't catch a thing but I'm in a MUCH better mood here at my desk today!!

blakjack23    0
blakjack23

CH47, that two cents is worth a million!

Fishing is the only time I can really free my mind, relax and think about nothing else.

Tonka, isn't that a Ranger you are standing on in your pic?

I used to have a 16' Lund with a 25hp that I got for $1500. This year I just upgraded to an 18' Basstracker with a 90. I absolutely love my new boat, but I do miss my Lund. I wish I could have both. The only reason I upgraded is because I am fishing more leagues now. If I wasn't fishing leagues I would have never got rid of that Lund.

In order to pull the new boat I also upgraded from a GMC Jimmy to a spankin' new F150. Fishing sure is expensive....

TonkaBass    0
TonkaBass

Yeah, I have a 518SVX with a 200 Ficht. I tow it with a black F150 with a big Northland Tackle sticker in the back. I have a ton of fun fishing out of my old 16 foot Lund with a 15hp Mariner! New boats spoil you, honestly I feel they do some of the fishing for you and take 2/3 of the work out of it!

Way to go! Love the new F150's, awesome trucks!

pikerliker    0
pikerliker

Hey TonkaBass can you get a 30 year fixed mortgage on the Ranger boats? I will NEVER pay that much for a fishing boat!!

~piker

TonkaBass    0
TonkaBass

I bought mine used, I got it paid for now, but I agree, they ain't cheep.

30 years?!?! You can, I've heard of it, but I guess it makes more sense to pay the boat off, not donate interest!

riverrat56    0
riverrat56

50k for a boat is insane, the house im in right now didn't cost that much when they bought it 19 years ago. Then again, if you can afford it, why not get the top of the line. Fish don't bite on the boat, I can control my boat plenty well to fish and to catch fish, no I don't look to special out there in my Lund S 14 with a 15 horse merc on the back and a Minnkota Endura 36 trolling motor, but it gets the job done, and I can make it into water and rivers that a bigger boat can't. Partly because the boat is small and partly because I don't really care if a scratch it or bang it up.

But you can bet when i can afford a better boat, I'll have one....but The Lund will stick around grin.gif

SO to answer the question-It never stops

Eric Wettschreck    0
Eric Wettschreck

I have a 10' 1964 Sea King and a 28 lb thrust trolling motor. Bought the motor at a garage sale, traded a shotgun for the boat.

I catch a fish every now and then.

I'd love to have a super duper nice boat, but I can't afford it and I'm fine with that. I'm just happy to be on the water when I can be.

If I ever get a nice boat the Sea King will stay. No way I'm getting rid of that beauty. grin.gif

Fisher Dave    0
Fisher Dave

My 14 1/2' Lowe boat I picked up for $100 gutted out.. just a rear bench and a nose piece in it that someone thought would support it?

I invested about $50 into wood, another $65 into a used livewell(complete with removable bucket baitwell), 2 pumps, plumbing, fittings, and carpet remnants (THANKS VALV FOR ALL OF THIS). I found 3 good seats at a garage sale for $30. Pedistals and hardware cost me about $50.. but the seats are the way I wanted.

Motors.. I found a 65# thrust trolling motor with maximizer at Motor Clinic that was an older model(6 years) that was completely rebuilt by them with warranty for $160. The origional 10 hp Merc was a freebie.. recently I got a 20 hp Johnson to put on it for a approx $200 trade. I used the trailer(tilt spartan with roller bunks) from my old boat, same with rod holders and other goodies, and invested a minimal $120 for an OK depth finder(I'm on a tight budget).

Overall I spent around $1000 for a boat that I am very comfortable to fish out of, and I have most of the bells and whistles of the expensive boats that I cant afford.

My top speed is only about 20 mph/outboard, or 6 mph with the trolling motor(great for inner city lakes).. and it didnt cost $15K-50K and it still allows me to catch fish in comfort.

Not bad for a few dollars here and there when a deal pops up.

TonkaBass    0
TonkaBass

That's awesome. Doing it yourself is always a fun and educating endevour.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, the boat doesn't make the fisherman!

Bassboy1645    0
Bassboy1645

Fisher dave, NIce job on the boat!!!!! Its a blast to custom build and or remodel ur boat to ur specs especially when its for cheap. But i think i got u beat.........I bought boat trailer and motor from my social studies teacher for 350 bucks. i spent a 100 for a carb kit and now the 18hp johnson purrs like a kitten. lightweigth alumacraft boat so it flies prolly about 30mph Uncle gave me my dads old fishfinder for free( pretty expensive model eagle sixty) and a landing net. Not bad at all. came with anchor and new lights on it. this winter though im thinking of spraypaiting it camo and redoing the trailer( its kinda rusty). Have fun fihing!!!!!

Mr. Pike1    0
Mr. Pike1

Excellent topic. I remember my first little 14ft lund with a 20 horse Merc. I used to pull it with a little GEO storm. I have some great memories from that little boat. I like others have upgraded to the larger boat and 4x4 truck and god only knows how many poles and lures. It is the experience with friends and family on the water that matter most. Heck there are many time I just like to go to a local fishing peir and and toss a bobber rig to relax and think.

Unfortunaty fishing is marketed like any other sport. There are the 500.00 rods, 500.00 reals, 50,000K boats etc. Stay with in your limits and enjoy the sport for what it is.

Mark Christianson    0
Mark Christianson

Hey TB

You don't happen to have a neighbor thats a muskie maniac and you don't happen to spend time on some unnamed Ottertail County lake periodically???

I just put put together a puzzle I think.

PS - the bass were on a tear Sat night on that lake in Ottertail County.... laugh.gif

If you want, shoot me an email.

mark.christianson@mcdata.com

TonkaBass    0
TonkaBass

Yeah I do! I fish a lot of Otttertail county lakes, but I do have a few that are really good to hit anytime.

TonkaBass    0
TonkaBass

I see you're from BL, I have a place on East Battle. If you wanna know any hot spots email me... TonkaBass@hotmail.com

BIG DS    0
BIG DS

If any of you have been to the Fishermans Factory Outlet in Spirit Lake IA, they have a bumper sticker that says "The fish don't care what you spent". grin.gif