• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Build floor in older 16' Alumacraft

cherndog

Question

I bought an early 1980's 16' Alumacraft deep hall boat & trailer. The boat once had a floor and steering column. It has been used as a tiller boat and floor is gone. How and what materials are needed to build a floor? How can I find a replacement steering counsel and hardware/cables? I appreciate your help. Cherndog

3 answers to this question

Check with Val on the used steering column and counsil. He may very well have something that will work for you. Check out some of the old threads in this forum or the archive relating to boat floors. In a nutshell, though, when we install a floor, we have had the best results with the BC grade plywood, usually a half inch thick. Cut additional runners to go under the floor to reduce flexing, and treat the topside with a good quality carpet glue or fiberglass resin. This will prevent water damage. We're going on 25 years and haven't had any come back yet using this method so I'm assuming it must work pretty well.

I actually have a console from an aluminum boat, it's not alumacraft but should work fine.

I am trying to get it out of here at $ 50.00, includes steering helm, wheel, and cable.

Come and pick it up, it will be an easy install....

I appreciate the help. I will come and pick up the steering. Thanks to all. Cherndog