Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
opsirc

Lake Superior fishing Line

12 posts in this topic

Its time to respool my lake superior rods. I had 14 pound test on them now, some say that is too light and should have stronger. what pound test does everyone esle use?

O

Hi Sam,

It just depends on what you like and what your using it for. But if you plan to fish pretty deep with it on riggers and would like to still use mono, I'd suggest at least 17#. You can go with 15# if its just for board lines in the spring. Overall I thing 17# is a good compromise for all uses and you dont need anything over 20# except on dipsey combos. I use 15#,17#,20#,27#, and 50#. Everyting has its own application though, some mono and some braided.

Hey O,

I have gone to Power Pro as a main line for all rods. Spoon/planer rods run 20#, flasher rods run 30#, and dipsy rods run 50#. I carry several of the Tackle Tamer tubes and have all length/weights of fluorocarbon leaders pre-tied. 40# for dipsy to flasher, 14# for leaders on spoons off of riggers and 10# off the boards. This is a bit more expensive than buying a big spool of mono but I really like it a lot better. I have not yet been beat up by a fish on Superior and I LOVE the feeling of a 25# Lake Michigan king peeling off line and still feeling the head shake at 400 feet. Never get that with mono...you just know they are out there somewhere. The drawback is that there isn't any stretch to the line so you have to be pretty careful of allowing slack line to get into the mix. If you have inexperienced fisherman in the boat you may lose a fish or two to operator error here. The only time I feel that it has made much difference in my boat is fishing fixed boards. Now and then if we aren't paying attention a fish will pop off a release and have a few seconds to head shake with slack line sitting there.

Lota Lota...

Costs a little more?

How long do you plan to run the line b4 changing it out?

I guess being a novice with a budget I run 20# Big Game on all my rods. Power Pro on my Dipsy's & 12# on my planner rods.

I do replace my mono yearly though.

Any reports for us lately Joel???

I run mono also that I change out at least every season, more if it needs it. I use 20# on my boards and dipsies and 17# for my downrigger rods. I know the braided line is better but like outdoor nut said, for the cost factor and as often as I can get up there, mono works just fine for me. I have actually only lost a few fish here and there and most of the time it is due to operator error. I don't want to jinx myself but I have never lost a fish I have had on in my boat, a few of my buddies have but like I said I don't think it was the mono.

I run 15# big game on the board lines, 20# big game on the downriggers and 50# tuff line on the dipsy rod.

has anyone noticed if line color has any effect on the fish? some of the super lines come in green, yellow, and I see that fireline has a pink color. grin.gif

I like Cajun red line, supposedly it disappears underwater better than most other colors. Not sure if that's really true, but it works well for my downrigger rods. 20# test, changed yearly.

Theres times when I like a lighter line on my board lines and go with 12 or 14 lb mono on them. Downrigger and Dipsy rods I'll go with 14- 17 lb mono. Although I never had a problem with mono on my Dipsy rods I was going to give P-Pro a shot this summer but after using it on my Ice rods for Lake Trout last winter I've found it has a lot more resistance then mono so I'm sticking with mono. Maybe I'll give it a shot on my pump handle rod.

I'd stay away from the florescent or Hi-Vis line.

has anyone used the spiderwire mono? I have not read alot about this superline, have a chance to pick up 2500 yds very cheap. thanks

O

Spiderwire mono is a mono isnt it? Not a superline. Never used it but didnt like Spiderwire at all.

Not sure which Spider you're talking about but the stuff I've used would start to fray very quickly. It never broke on any rods but musky rods now and then but it did look like hell, hurt castability and absorbed a lot of water. They do have a lot of new products out there that may have improved though.

Lota Lota...