• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anyone/has anyone ever fished the Cannon River near Cannon Falls before? I was fishing there this spring and was wondering what species of fish are present there? Any help would be appreciated.

The Cannon has some great fishing in it. I've caught walleye's, northerns, LM,Smallmouth and white Bass crappies, sunnies, catfish, bullheads, suckers, carp, buffalo, sheepheads, dogfish and Trout. There's many shore spots right near town at Cannon Falls. Below the Dam is a popular spot, "but I don't recommend it if you have small children with". Above the dam would be better. In town there's a few park areas that has tons of shore fishing available.

Good luck

Cake, funny you should ask. My son and 3 buddies just floated the Cannon this past weekend. Every time they came to a deep hole they would toss in their slip sink rigs with a crawler and pick up some nice 15 - 18 inch walleye. With 3 over 23 inches, these went back the rest went in the pan.

Otherwise he was using a white and black spotted "shister" spinner and caught pretty much what Mr. Special caught except for trout. Northern, smallmouth, largemouth, white bass, crappie, sucker, catfish, a creek chub that was 13" long (probably a world record), sheephead and carp.

When I talked to him last night he was still pretty excited about the trip. The crappie were small and the LM/SM were 2 lbs and under but the SM were very acrobatic. Catfish were a couple of pounds along with the sheephead. The northern were up to 5 lbs. The biggest was a 20 lb carp that pulled the other canoe down stream.

They kept only the eyes and they got together with their wives/girlfriends that evening for a cook out. I can only imagine how fresh caught grilled walleye tasted with corn on the cob and washed down with a barley pop or 2.

So, it's definately worth a trip. Good luck.

Awesome guys! Thanks for the info, I thought it seemed like like a good area to fish! I'm pleasently surprised how there are walleyes in there...I'll have to go and check that out! Thanx again