Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
fish-n-geek

rack vs. rotary steering

Question

fish-n-geek

Mounting a 40hp on the pontoon I'm rebuilding and I don't really want to put the old push/pull cable steering back on. Assuming that a rack and pinion will physically fit inside the helm, what are the pros/cons to going with r&p or rotary steering systems?

-rus-

4 answers to this question

BIG DS

The rotary is hydralic and is a bit more expensive and not really needed unless you are over 115hp. The r&p will fit fine and do the job great for less $$ on your 40. Make sure you measure it properly so you get the right length cable.

Valv

Actually the rotary is not hydraulic, but mechanical.

I don't think you can find r&p anymore, they all switched to rotary.

Check Teleflex web site, it has a nice guide to help you choose the helm style.

Then email me for best prices....

BIG DS

Sorry, you are right, apparently had my head screwed on sideways when I wrote that. I was having a senior moment. crazy.gif

Valv

No problem, I do have many of these days myself too.

In fact they are getting more frequent lately....must be the heat or the afe.... grin.gif