• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

rack vs. rotary steering

fish-n-geek

Question

Mounting a 40hp on the pontoon I'm rebuilding and I don't really want to put the old push/pull cable steering back on. Assuming that a rack and pinion will physically fit inside the helm, what are the pros/cons to going with r&p or rotary steering systems?

-rus-

4 answers to this question

The rotary is hydralic and is a bit more expensive and not really needed unless you are over 115hp. The r&p will fit fine and do the job great for less $$ on your 40. Make sure you measure it properly so you get the right length cable.

Actually the rotary is not hydraulic, but mechanical.

I don't think you can find r&p anymore, they all switched to rotary.

Check Teleflex web site, it has a nice guide to help you choose the helm style.

Then email me for best prices....

Sorry, you are right, apparently had my head screwed on sideways when I wrote that. I was having a senior moment. crazy.gif

No problem, I do have many of these days myself too.

In fact they are getting more frequent lately....must be the heat or the afe.... grin.gif