• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Calhoun

Hmmm.. guess I should've held it out farther.... LOL

THe fish really was around 4 lbs. high 3, but close enough to 4 to call it that... pic really doesn't do it justice... like I said, the camera phone pic isn't the greatest.

OH.. and just to put an end to the height thing.. I'm 5'11" (that's what my military ID said, anyway) tongue.gif... and go about 210... if that puts it in perspective.... cool.gif

Either way, he was a blast to pull in, and the green senko has been working great for the bass this year!!!! grin.gif

Ive seen an caught a few nice pike inthere this year.just seen a couple this morning. through my storm minnow right in front of one an brushed its lip, No go. Sorry to say there is one less trophy to be caught out there. right by the 36 street dock there was a 42 inch muskie floating along the wall. still slightly breathing, so I netted him out for a couple pics to send to family in Cali. an tell them about MN Barracuda. Some guy fishing the dock went an pulled him back out is going to give to his oreiental neighbors. I measured it with tape measure when I pulled it out an came up with 42 inch fish. it had a slice looking mark on its side like it may have been hit by propeler. earlier in the year I seen two nice Bass about two pounds floating dead in the same spot. there s getting to be way to many Muskie anglers out there. Fishing Report sunnies are very active in the shallows an under the docks, hook under boober with anything that will stay on it.Ha Ha grin.gif Does anyone have or know of someone with one or two back to back boat seats for sale wink.gif

Quote:

Hmmm.. guess I should've held it out farther.... LOL

THe fish really was around 4 lbs.

Picture phone's SUCK and most often take a bad picture, I would not worry to much about the KNOWITALL nay sayers.

NICE FISH Slick.

Seems it's in vogue these days to phony up the size of a fish by holding it out in front of the camera. Thanks, Bill Lindner! Every time I see that, I say to myself "too bad the guy is trying to lie about the size of the fish".

One of my favorite slogans is "if my arms were 6 feet long, all my bass would be 12 pounders"!

Keep holding those fish in tight to your body...5 years later you can still verify how big it really was.

Why does everyone always pick on other guys when the catch a fish. Who cares if they are long arming it. I doubt anyone really does it on purpose it is just a natural pose to hold the fish out for the camera. And after all the grief a few guys have taken on this forum about estimated fish size I am sure that not many are going to be lieing about it. What would be the point?

I would like all the perfect people to please step forward so we know who you are and are able to bow in your glourious pressence. We shall deem you as the only people worthy of estimating fish size.

OK, OK, you're on to me. I have never hooked a fish anywhere but in the out lip. All 342 30" plus walleyes I've caught are photographed in multiple angles with flex rulers up & down & around to quell the doubters. Not only that, I both C&R and get to eat my fish.

Please direct all bows toward the 35W/494 interchange so that I may feel the wind of your accumulated awe.

Oh, & beautiful women stare at me too much, so I always fish away from shore. grin.gif

Max12... only 342 30" 'Eyes?? was that this season or lifetime?? Heck, that's a solid month or so for me.. but then again, that's on the computer tongue.gif

Anyway... The only time I question other folks' estimation is the ones you see in the Pioneer Press & Star-Trib.... like the one this morning.. 7 lb. largemouth... doesn't look 7 to me.. but I wasn't there... smirk.gif

Haven't seen the dead fish around Calhoun that others are talking about, sad to see that. I would hope that people are careful enough to make sure that fish are released ASAP, and that they do swim away...

As far as that Muskie goes... I thought that there are no motors allowed on the cahin of lakes, other than electrics.. would an electric motor do that kind of damage?? Or is it possible that the weed cutter boat got him?

See you on the shoreline...

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.