• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Deer Regs Announced By DNR

mechanictim

Looks like Minnesota will get a taste of the earn a buck program in several state parks and an antler point restriction in one. Three points on one side. There are also several changes of areas to new zones. Those that bow hunt and hunt with a firearm will be able to buy both licenses and use both tags but only one can be used for a buck.

The change that will probably be the most controversial is the early, doe only season near the metro and in northwestern part of the state.

I do most of my hunting in the southwest corner of the state so the only change here will be the two licenses one.

I had been purchasing the allseason two tag license since I bow hunt and muzzleload hunt. The new option will save me almost $40.

Fortunatly in this part of the state we don't have enough deer for there to be any need of an early doe season. The pheasant season opens on the same day as the doe season and around here that would be one real interesting weekend.

I really don't understand that early doe season. At that time of year, there is still a lot of crops in the field, most deer will just head for the cornfields. Every year whe the pheasant hunting forecast comes out its 'lots of crop left in the fields, the season will better later on'. Why not have a special doe season in December? I'm also concerned about people poaching nice bucks in that early season, if the buck of a lifetime comes past you, will JoeBlow Deer hunter be able to resist? I'm also concerned about small bucks being shot by mistake "I didn't see any horns" and left to lay. Both these scenarios could also be a problem during 'earn a buck' seasons, Mr. Big comes along, JoeBlow shoots it with the thought that he'll get his doe later. People - hunters - do crazy things when they see anything with brown hide...

These are areas that I don't hunt so it really doesn't affect me, I'd like to hear what people think that do hunt those areas. My concern is that the DNR will extend those regs - the special early doe season - statewide. That would suck, having people out flinging slugs around during the early pheasant season.

Tell me if I'm wrong but the early doe season their talking about is going to occur in the 7 county metro area and up NW right? Where do they plan on hunting in the metro unless you have access to private land? Because there are no large tracts of public/state land. Kinda like the early goose season, sounds great IF you have access, if not, who cares. me, I live in the metro but go WAY north to hunt deer and would like to see them extend the rifle season a couple weeks longer.

Quote:

I'm also concerned about people poaching nice bucks in that early season, if the buck of a lifetime comes past you, will JoeBlow Deer hunter be able to resist? Mr. Big comes along, JoeBlow shoots it with the thought that he'll get his doe later. People - hunters - do crazy things when they see anything with brown hide...

Blackjack- Hunters DON'T do crazy things..Poachers and maniacs do crazy things. If your hunting regular season and you have already shot your buck and now are looking to harvest your antlerless deer, Buck of a life time walks by, Its still gonna be illegal to shoot it.

If buck of a life time come walking by during bear, moose, elk, or Fox season, its still gonna be illegal to shoot it. These are all instances where people have the possiblities of shooting a dream buck.

Allowing an Antlerless season will not provoke more poaching. Poachers shoot big bucks, In/Out of season, spotlight/day light, .22's/or 7mm's, IT DONT MATTER.

You also mentioned accidental shooting of small bucks.

Better hunter education people. Educate others. Avoid shotting in low light conditions, be sure of your target. The youth antlerless season last year never brought upon any problems mentioned above. Give it a chance.

Two more Does !!!! I love the sounds of that.

Already taken vacation days for the weekend. smile.gif

WAG

Just some thoughts. Will the early season make the bucks turn nocturnal or change their habits before the regular season?

October is usually a great time for me to hunt waterfowl in the morning and switch to bow hunting in the afternoon. I do not stalk game while bow hunting - I like to sit and enjoy nature. I just have a feeling that I will have many people walk past my stand - lets face it - there are many people that are "weekend hunters" - the people that come for no other reason then to kill. (Not trying to make people mad - I am sure everyone knows what I mean)

Just wished they would make the extra season the same as muzzle loader or even a week after. I understand that by taking does before the rut a decrease in offspring is the desire.

I'm not in these areas and I don't really care much about this, but I will say this from personal experience. Wisconsin has had their T-zone Oct. doe season for many years and we have really not noticed any change in deer activiity during the regular season because of it. Its not the intense hunting pressure that comes with the regular season and it doesn't seem to screw up the deer patterns much at all.

I'm pretty sure all the people hunting in the doe only season will be "weekend hunters" since the hunt will be held on a weekend... I don't really understand the term. I hunt as much as I can during the week, but even so most hunting is done on the weekends when the majority of people aren't working. Does that mean that the majority of people hunting on the weekend aren't good hunters? I'm not mad, I just don't understand your comments.

I'm also not mad about the "just looking to kill something" comment, but I think it's kind of a dumb one. The reason for the two day doe hunt is to kill more deer, it isn't so people can just get out & have a nature walk or whatever. I guess if you're worried about your bowhunting being affected that weekend make sure you bow hunt private land that you have exclusive access to for those two days, or just don't bowhunt that weekend. My favorite activity bar none, is bowhunting, but I don't see this as an issue. Since yesterday I've already spent a fair amount of time figuring out if it would be practical for me to try to find a place in one of those zones to hunt that weekend. Part of my motivation is because I know some of my family who don't bowhunt, but do gun hunt, might be willing to hunt that season with me & it could be a lot of fun.

I do agree with you, I probably would prefer this be a late December hunt after muzzleloader season, but they probably figured they wouldn't get enough participation if it was when it was cold. Muzzleoader hunting isn't that much different than shotgun hunting in my experience, but you sure don't see anywhere near the participation & a lot of that is likely due to colder temps. Obviously the rut has plenty to do with that too.

Sorry for the length of my post.

Wags, you're right when you say poachers will always poach. My point is that you're putting hunters in a situation where they might be tempted to do something illegal, like shoot that buck of a lifetime. "I'm on the back 40, I process my own deer, I'll shoot that 10 point and haul it to my shed". During the regular gun season, bucks are legal game, with party hunting, if a big one comes by, a hunter can shoot it and find a tag, regardless if they've already shot a buck. Having a special doe season puts more hunters in the field with deer guns and increases the probablility of them shooting that buck of a lifetime illegally. Do you see the difference between that and a poacher? I'm argueing a point that probably won't happen that often but it will happen.

I guess my real point is that I see more negatives (the possibility of big and little bucks being shot illegally, conflict with other hunting seasons, conflicts between farmers with lots of crops still in the field, turning deer nocturnal because of hunting pressure) than positives (thinning out the deer herd). Its easy to say 'its not in my part of the state' but once the DNR starts with their 'experiments', odds are that they'll expand it statewide, and we need to let the DNR know how we feel. In my mind, there are more negatives than positives to an early doe season. Put the special doe season in December.

If the DNR really wants to have the deer herd thinned, they need to come up with a plan where you can take a doe to a butcher - at no cost to the hunter - to be processed for the food shelves. Then they'd have does stacked up like cordwood. But if I have to pay $50+ to process it in order to donate it, guess what, its going in my freezer. Once I have 2-3 in my freezer, I'm going to stop shooting because I have enough venison.

This will most certainly effect the bow hunters but it might not be all that bad. While those early season hunters are out, they will get the deer moving which may prove to be of benefit if we are up in the tree at the right time. I am also a little concerned about the waterfowl hunters all camo'ed out, I know I will be a little nervous sitting in a corn field! A really good benefit of this is that it will be a great opportunity to take some kids hunting. Getting a kid out to see a lot of deer, to shoot, and to maybe connect, will have a lasting impact on them. A good impact. We need more young hunters as our population of hunters continues to fall. There will be some negative drawbacks with this change but in the end, I think the positive benefits will outweigh them. By the way, I do hunt this area and will personally be effected by the rule changes. A good attitude will go a long ways when it comes to change!! Good luck guys!

I understand & can appreciate both sides of the argument, but I have to go along with your way of thinking on this one jlm.

Good post

My biggest fear from the start was the bird hunters and archers that will be afield during the early gun hunt. The DNR better have some thoughts about how to coach everyone that will be in the field at the same time. Some of which can't wear orange if they want to be successful in their hunts(waterfowlers mainly).

Are archers going to be required to wear orange during the early gun hunt?

I'm not a big fan of the early hunt. Too big of a chance for a mishap. Granted it is only a small part of the state, but still.............

Good questions and thoughts BLB! I suspect that all archers will have to wear orange as they do during the regular firearms season. Waterfowl, I am not sure. Pretty scary thought though, you never know when some Joe Blow wants to shoot one of those geese (our deeks) in the corn field just for fun. I am going to be sure to lay far from the deeks on that weekend! Good luck all!

Quote:

My point is that you're putting hunters in a situation where they might be tempted to do something illegal, like shoot that buck of a lifetime. "I'm on the back 40, I process my own deer, I'll shoot that 10 point and haul it to my shed".

Yes, this is true, and it already does happen. It's that " were in the middle of nowhere who's gonna catch us" sorta thing. Like I mentioned in my previous posts, It happens in more than just deer season. I feel that a majority of sportsman can be honest enough to let them pass.

Quote:

During the regular gun season, bucks are legal game, with party hunting, if a big one comes by, a hunter can shoot it and find a tag, regardless if they've already shot a buck.

I knew I would get a response like this, and yes, This is also true, it always seems like there's a "tag" to be filled. And if party hunting is allowed, then there is nothing wrong with that. And remember one has to go about party hunting the correct way to make it legal. I was just thinking along the lines of the someone that hunts alone.

Quote:

Having a special doe season puts more hunters in the field with deer guns and increases the probablility of them shooting that buck of a lifetime illegally. Do you see the difference between that and a poacher?

No. How can a person hunt an antlerless season only, shoot an monsterous buck during that season, and call themselves a true sportman? Its unfair to others and its down right dirty. This is closely related to the "fishing for bass out of season" conversations we've been having. If anyone practices this style of hunting and hasn't been caught, your day is coming smile.gif And I will only smile a bigger smile when you are.

Quote:

I guess my real point is that I see more negatives (the possibility of big and little bucks being shot illegally, conflict with other hunting seasons

I would bet the DNR took into consideration all of these possibilities. I'm sure they didnt say, " well theres too many deer, so we'll just give them 2 days in October to shoot antlerless deer." And Blackjack I know you and most everyone else know's that, and I will agree 100% I dont like the time of year either. Maybe If enough people say something, it could change.

Quote:

Its easy to say 'its not in my part of the state' but once the DNR starts with their 'experiments', odds are that they'll expand it statewide,

And I hope they do expand it IF there is a need to.

How about the weekend in between firearms and muzzloaders?

Just a thought.

Im not here to say anybodies opinion is wrong. I see where most are coming from. But we can't let the con's overshadow the pro's of this deal. A more successful deer herd. Better buck to does ratio. Thats what I see it as. I maybe interpreting these thing wrong also, who knows. I'm just trying to pursue a more positive outlook on what this season can do for our herds, and to give more hunters the benifit of the doubt. Don't let slob hunters ruin OUR reputations. Good luck this season.

WAG

The length of my last post is uncalled for.

Sorry guys. grin.gif

JLM-I dang near repeated what you just said in my last paragraph. I'll pay a little more attention next time wink.gif

WAG

jlm

Thats the sad thing.... A waterfowler shouldnt have to stay away from their deeks that weekend to be safe.

PS, I wouldnt worry too much myself about a gun hunter taking a poke at my dekes. Its just that waterfowlers could be VERY close by, without that deer hunter(clad in orange) not even knowing it.

Its going to be interesting to see what happens, see how many hunters participate since this special season will be competing with pheasant opener in SoDak and MN, duck hunting, archery season, etc. A few does will get shot, a lot will depend on what kind of access you have to land in the special zone, I still say they'd have better success with a December special season. If the weather was bad the DNR could just extend it one more weekend. Oh well, I'll be off to SoDak hunting pheasants at that time, let the DNR experiment.

I'm surprised more deer hunters haven't responded to this thread, I guess they're off fishing...

I wish the DNR would think again about the seasons and licensing situation that exists today before some of these other changes. I think it would increase the hunter participation throughout the state if they would get rid of the individual zone licenses. A single license purchase should be good for any open season statewide (like the multizone buck license is today).

I like to hunt two different parts of the state for deer, both in Zone 4. Since they are 2 and 4 days seasons it's impossible to do unless I buy the Multizone Buck. My understanding is that the zones are split up as they are to protect the hnters and deer in an area. It doesn't make sense to me that if I want to hunt both seasons I can buy a license to do so for twice the price. How does that protect the resource?? confused.gif

A change as suggested would allow hunters to hunt more in open seasons anywhere in the state and then more people could take advantage of the liberalized bag limits to help reduce and control the overall herd.

I'll get off my soapbox now...

The All season license would be an option for you.

I hunt zone 4 as well, and I go with the All Season for the same reasons you mention.

Bow hunt or ML hunt statewide. Your only limited to your zone then for the Firearms season.

I do NOT want a generalized statewide license. That would be mayhem in some areas.

I don't ML or bowhunt so I don't need an all season.

Why would it mean mayhem in some areas? Everyone sould buy the multizone and hunt everywhere right now, provided the season is open for that zone. It seems to me to be a money game as it sits today. I cannot buy two licenses in a year. But if I want to spend twice as much, I can hunt in all of the seasons. How does that protect the resource? I realize no one who hunts zone 1 cares at all, but for zone 4 it's a big deal. Also, if they want to get rid of does, I can't even shoot one now unless I hunt in certain permit areas and, guess what, buy additional tags at $15 a piece.

Don't get me wrong, it's not all about the money, it's the missing logic behind some of it that eats at me and then getting gouged on top of it.

Well your wish may have come true. A big portion of zone 4 has be re-aligned and will now have a longer season rather than the split season (at lease I am pretty sure it passed). If that area effects you, you can now hunt that area for an extended period of time rather than the split seasons. This will reduce the need for the MZ license and likely will increase buck mortality rates (I hope). A great majority of hunters who purchase the MZ license hunt in zone 4. I would check with the DNR to see if your area is effected. Good luck!

I think most statements on this thread are valid, but if you think back a few years ago when you were required to apply for a DOE permit. It was a huge change in the way people thought about deer hunting. The same arguments were presented then only in reference to doe's. With the increase of the deer herd and the change that took place in a number of hunters it turned out that doe's were no longer as prized as they once were,an as hunters we may have helped contributed to the problem at hand. For the most part brown and down is not as popular today but after the close of the deer season in the early 70's I believe hunters would have had no problem going out for a weekend of doe only hunting and there would have been little if any resistance by bowhunters or bird hunters. I realize that there were less bow hunters then but the point is whatever the change there is always different points of view.