Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IceAge@work

Height of Land Lake

8 posts in this topic

Fishing there for first time this coming weekend. Looking for a little help with my research.

DNR report is a few years old but shows a decent population of stocked walleyes. With the relatively shallow water is a spinner/crawler or trolling cranks a good way to go?

Or should a guy try and isolate some structure and slow it down. I'm thinking the bullheads might be pesky if a guy is rigging bait.

Panfish or bass a legit option if the walleye bite is slow?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Ice Age

Anybody fish this lake?

Not looking for any specific spots here just a little feedback.

Thanks again

we're not ignoring you bud, it's just that Height of Land is a better duck hunting spot than a fishing hole.

Quote:

we're not ignoring you bud, it's just that Height of Land is a better duck hunting spot than a fishing hole.

Thanks guy. Did notice on the DNR report that it was susceptabile to winterkill so I can see where it's probably not one of the more popular angling destinations in the area.

HoL had low O2 levels this winter on our testing. I don't what effect it may have had on the fishery.

Actually the fish population appears healthy. Caught many small northerns. A few very nice Perch and Crappie and 7 or 8 decent Walleye.

Spinners on the breaks and weed edges for Walleye. Small jigs in the weeds for the panfish. The little Northerns were every where.

Given the weather on Saturday it was a pretty decent day of fishing.

Ice Age

Good deal for you, but the secret's out now!!

There are some fish to be had out there. Try white spinners with crawlers, fatheads, or leeches in 8-10 fow outside the weed edge. If you look on the map there are some sand bars on the lake, those would be good spots to start.

Fisherdog