Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassguru

20" walleyes

49 posts in this topic

Rumor has it that the Gov. signed into law that only 1 Walleye over 20" may be kept as part of a limit, state wide.

Any comments?

bassguru

I am all for it if it means that it will hopefully improve the future of fishing on the water...

Nam

The governor doesn't set slot limits or bag limits. The DNR has the authority to do that. Where did you hear something like that?

ya that just does not make any sense. then what about lakes like mille lacs that already is having the slot change to 22-28inch fish.

Actually the gov did sign that the other day.

There was a little blurb in the Star Tribune the other day.

My understanding is that it does take legislation for statewide regs, and must be passed by the gov.

I am all for that! I would love to see no walleyes over 20" but 1 over 28". I want my kids and eventually their kids and even their grandkids to have even better fishing than we have today. There just is no reason to be keeping and eating the larger eyes. They have more toxins, they don't taste as well as the smaller fish and they lay the eggs to keep us in MN with a healthy walleye population.

I know everyone doesn't agree with me, but I am all for this!

As far as I am concerned, they can shave 2 or 3 more inches off that limit and I would love it. I keep walleyes under 17 inches and that's it. Those fish over 17 inches are all of your major spawners and should always be put back anyway. If I need a meal, I always just go panfish hunting for a half an hour and catch dinner.

Yup I'm for it to. I like to catch big fish as it's fun, and letting them go is even more rewarding.

Yes, it was in the tribune last week.

I called the DNR yesterday, spoke with the fisheries dept. They said all staff that could answer this question were in a meeting, & to call back on monday,that they had HEARD of this signing, but had recieved no offical word as to when it would be in effect, but that they thought it would be for next season.

bassguru

I am all for it! I don't fish for food. That is what Cub is for! I am for catching. I wouldn't mind seeing the metro limit be like 2 eyes as well.

Quote:

I don't fish for food. That is what Cub is for!

Gawd, I cant believe you eat that garbage. Cub has the most rancid smelling fish around. The smell overwhelms me when I walk in the front door.

You never know what the fish could be(Zander or Pike), where it was caught, or when it was caught. I would rather catch my fish and fry them up right away on the frying pan.

20" seems too small to me. 28" is way better. If he did sign it it went through with limited fanfare. I think 20-23 inchers are still great eaters and should be allowed to be kept. 28" + is trophy size and more realistic as a fish to allow only 1 of per limit. Just thinking out loud.

---Zdaddy

You dont get 28" trophies if you eat them when they are 20-23". A law of 1 fish over 20" is a step in the right direction for the preservation of our future. 20-23" are the primest of prime spawners and need too go back in the lake so they can do their thing. You take a 23" walleye out of a lake that has natural reproduction, you not only take the 23" fish out but you take the 1,000 walleyes that will survive out of that walleyes next spawn, and the next and so on. You also take a fish out of the lake that is getting close too being that 28" trophy. Take the 14-18" fish out too eat. Theres a very good chance that they are males and it doesnt take mother nature near as long too replace a 16" walleye as it does a 23" walleye. In about 6 years after this 1 over 20" settles in and people get used too it, the DNR will get that statewide slot out there. They know it needs too be done but it has too be "eased in there" as too not "shock" the public. I cant wait for the day its put in place.

Definately there will be more walleyes in lakes by this law. If you do catch a few 20 inches, you can bring a pair of scissors or knife and trim the tail of the walleyes to make it under 20. wink.gif

Everyone is all of a sudden a back-yard biologist.

The 24" walleye up at the cabin this weekend tasted great, and 1 fish gave a good serving to all 3 of us... and it wasnt 5 days old(more like 15 minutes old), and didnt cost $31 either.

I'll throw them back .. out of season.. in season, they meet the fillet knife.

Cool, you took 1,001 walleyes out of your lake that would have been there next year at this time. I hate too say it, but thats why the DNR is putting more and more restrictions up, some people have a clause in their religion saying they cant throw any walleye back in the lake, whether its 12" or 25". Call me a backyard biologist all you want, but im not just throwing out random numbers. Those numbers are factual. I guess i shouldnt care if you yourself takes a 24" eye out of your lake. But i do care about the 250 boats i see on the 1,000 acre lake i fish on opener, and i do care about that lake when it gets hot and you yourself can personally witness numerous 20"+ fish going into livewells a day. That hurts a lake. Thats not preserving the future of a lake.

I recieved a return call this morning from the DNR, confirming that starting next fishing season, the "1 over 20" will go into effect statewide.

I said I thought it would be very controversial, and her comment was, "when our State Legislators sign something into law, our hands are tied".

My opinion? I agree with James_walleye, it can only help.

bassguru

Just lower the limits if anything at all. 1 fish over 20" is totally ridiculous. This state has reeeealy been going off the deep end politically lately. At least we're not forced to measure in cetimeters yet...!!!

First of all, I agree with the new law as I think it will help decrease the average harvest, but not for the reasons stated here.

Sure, if you keep a 22 incher, you're killing a future 28 incher, but if you keep a 16 incher, aren't you killing a future 22 incher, which would be a future 28 incher? How far down are we going to go with this? In 15 years we'll all be eating Walleye as Suchi.

I think the law is sound, but that argument is not.

Outside of the Boundary Waters, I've never caught more than one 20" walleye in a single trip, so this isn't going to affect me unless I get a lot smarter. grin.gif

While I think a law like this is sensible, I'd rather leave it in the hands of the DNR than the legislature. They're the experts (although we don't always agree with them). I also think they should (& maybe they did I haven't read the law) put some sort of "sunset" date into the law to assure that it's reviewed for impact in three, five, seven, or however many years to measure the whatever goals are being set forth.

This is funny.. I make a comment and I am immediately under attack for keeping a single fish.. now things go to the next level and we cant fish after sunset in the state? .. Sorry guys.. A weekend at the cabin with 3 guys.. rain, wind and storms almost non stop... The weather lets up just long enough in 3 days.... it just happened to be after sunset.. you werent going to get that fish out of our hands at gunpoint.. any larger, it would have went back. As a matter of fact, that was the largest we had ever kept(not caught) from the lake.

And it tasted good!

Where is this going anyhow? Pretty soon the correct place will be next to the earlier post in another part of the forum that we should not be able to keep fish, or maybe certain species on certain days? ... at least until the paint-ball deer hunting season starts anyhow.

If a person is that against killing a fish in the 1st place.. maybe they shouldnt be fishing. I wont lie, I catch a lot of fish. Most of my trips are successful.. but I will be willing to bet my harvest rate does not surpass what is going to die from stress, etc.. just because a fish is released does not mean its going to survive.. if you want to assure the life of a fish, dont try to catch it.

Why dont we make it illegal to fish on Sunday to boot... except for bullheads and rough fish that dont exceed 24".

Fisher Dave,

What Max12 meant by "sunset" date is that they include a clause in the law that requires them to do a survey after a few years to see if the new law is working effectively. It doesn't mean that you can't actually fish after sunset. That is nonsense. Personally I agree with the new law. I think it will help.