• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pet Peeve at boat launches....

I've seen a boat and trailer come unhitched at the big landing at Buffalo & go flying down the hill into the lake. Luckilly there were no no "Redneck Kids" using it as a beach at the time!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dwag70

• Dan Thiem

• buzzsaw

• The Grebe

We helped a guy put his aluminum boat, with 25 hp, back on his trailer, but it was'nt at any boat landing...it was on a dirt road out by Sugar lake in Wright county!

The guy was flying down the washboard and I don't know how the he11 he had that boat fastened, but all of a sudden it was airborn and just as suddenly it was skidding down the road! Ouch!

Well....I have had an old boat with a trailer and I have had experienced problems with loading and also starting. Fortunately, there has not been a major queue when these things happen. In any case, I am quite understanding when these things happen to other people.

I have a question tho' - what is the correct etiquette when it comes to waiting your turn on a ramp to load your boat?

For example, if it is a 2 boat ramp, and both are being used at that time to load boats, and there is one boat waiting out on the water. There is a dock for each ramp. Is it OK for someone who comes later, to go straight to the dock to unload one person, so that he can collect the truck altho the boat ahead of him is not doing that?

It does not seem to be an issue of jumping queue but more of trying to maximise time efficiency.

A little time in a parking lot would help most people learn to back their trailer but the grade on the ramp always tends to complicate things. I have two suggestions. One: if you are a real hot shot at backing a trailer, offer to take the wheel when it looks like someone is having trouble. Two: If you are having trouble and somone offers to help, let them. It's a lot less embarising to thank someone for their help than to keep trying to do it yourself and know you are holding everyone up.

Quote:

I've seen a boat and trailer come unhitched at the big landing at Buffalo & go flying down the hill into the lake. Luckilly there were no no "Redneck Kids" using it as a beach at the time!

LOL, got a good chuckle outta this one

What I don't like is when someone launches the boat before starting the motor. Then they just sit there in the water at the launch. I had one time where I couldn't start the motor, cranked for maybe 2 minutes. So I pulled out of the water. Parked in the lot, after about 15 minutes I discovered the problem. Yes I had to wait in line all over again, but it was the right thing to do.

I got one from last night on Medicine.

Some jet skiiers has some engine troubles or whatever so they put the ski on the trailer and pull it out of the water but still stay in the launch lane and try to fix it. They could've went to the parking lot. confused.gif

I am still amazed on how many people pull the strap to the end of the trailer and wind the boat all the way up. shocked.gif

Or how the person doesn't know how to back up and takes up two lanes. His truck is at a 45 degree angle on the ramp, but hey the trailer is in the water. Get a clue! mad.gif

Sorry had to vent.

This one takes the cake. I pulled into road leading to the small landing on a metro lake, and there was a truck and trailer taking up the ramp space with no boat, or human, in sight. I squinted accross the lake and saw several anchored boats, and then comes the yahoo racing around this island. It seemed like looked at me and the waiting rig, but proceeded to go around the island again! Not only that, he finally slowed his boat down and sat in the water adjusting something about 200 yards from the landing with my not so subtle girlfreind waving and yelling the whole time. So half an hour later, with this guys rig taking up the landing, he finally comes in. He had the nerve to say, "sorry, just got a new boat and was fine tuning the equipent". As if that's an excuse to leave his trailer in the water. Well I didn't need to say anything cause the girlfreind took care of it. The arse is lucky he didn't leave his keys in the truck. Seemed like another case of I got a new 19' skeeter w/250 hp on it so I don't have to trouble with the lesser folks. Had a "W" sticker on the back window too.

I've got several funny ones but here's my all time favorite.

Three of my buddies and I had fished the Mississippi down by Red Wing, we had just come off the river and put our boats on the trailers. We hear this boat coming in to load and they were hooting and hollering, obviously quite drunk. Since there was quite a bit of current we decided this would be fun to watch these guys load their boat. The three of them were all in their late teens to early twenties and running a brand new Ford F150 and a brand new Tuffy, so I'm guessing they were using Daddies stuff. They got the trailer backed in okay, but with the current, the guy trying to drive the boat onto the trailer was having a heck of a time. All of a sudden he yells out, "get out of the way, I'll get er on this time". He motors out into the river and cranks the throttle, not only did he get it onto the trailer, he went all the way into the back of the truck!! Yup, he drove the winch through the bow and the bow went all the way into the tailgate and topper. After he picked himself off the floor of the boat he says, "there, she's on the trailer now"!! Can you imaging what Daddy had to say when he got home??

Ya. I have a pet peeve at boat launches. Particularly the new grays bay launch. They have 5,000,000,000 spots for boats and trailers (it's a launch, I understand that), but only 5 or 6 spots for vehicles without trailers. Don't tell me I'm part of only a small # of people that might be in a situation where I want to go out quick after work and make plans to be picked up at the launch.

This was the situation the other night. I make plans to drive there after work, and get picked up at Grays Bay. All "vehicle without trailer" spots are full. The kid working says "you can park over there in the old launch lot by the bridge or the parking garage in Wayzata"

WHAT!?!? The old launch by the bridge was full and it's only 3 hour parking. So now, I have to battle back into traffic, park in Wayzata, and walk to the lake with my gear. I was not happy.

They should have more spots for vehicles without trailers.

Quote:

Had a "W" sticker on the back window too.

At least he had one redeeming value... tongue.gif

Quote:

Had a "W" sticker on the back window too.

The people with the Kerry/Edwards stickers are too busy hogging up the passing lane of the freeway to be launching boats. wink.gif

Quote:

I am still amazed on how many people pull the strap to the end of the trailer and wind the boat all the way up.
shocked.gif

how about the people who power load when the access clearly states "NO POWER LOADING" I have no problem with this one what so ever. I can wait 15-30 seconds for someone who doesn't feel comfortable power loading their boat. Better to be safe than try and hurry too much when you aren't comfortable.

well, I'm one of those guys that still pull the strap to the back of the trailer. I can still load my 1600 lund exploerer faster than most guys that try to drive theirs on. Grant it, I don't have the biggest boat at the access. Seems like the guys I ever see try this end up makeing two or three trys before getting it wright, plus my boat is always on the trailer straight and it takes me only one try.

How about we all video a boat launch on any given week end and put it on a dvd. Add a little music and we would all be millionares.......like the time MY boat fell off the trailer right at the edge of the water. Half on and half off and all we could think of is "Hurry up before some one comes" Minor damage....Now it is funny!!!!

fishingbuddy,

That is a great idea!!!

I think that would be a prize winner. Including that other weekend when I was unloading the boat myself. ( I feel that I have it pretty much down pat) but my rope broke and I was watching my boat floating by itself in the lake. I had to wade out to it and grab the remainder of the rope and pull it in. The look on my face face would have been priceless!

"hooks"

my dad and I have had a system working for years if u do it as a team and stick to the same job all the time it seems like nothing. my dad has always backed the trailer in and i have always drove the boat on. ill tell u tho we have done that for years and just last week my dad tried to drive the boat on the trailer and i couldnt stop laughing but on the other hand me backing the trailer up is a hole nother ball game. once u have found a system and stick to it it isnt all that hard. team work goes along way. being out by your self is alot of work if u see someone loading there boat on there own give them a hand.

I witnessed a couple great moments in boat launching. One was the result of not setting the truck brakes after backing the boat down. Only the top of the cab was visible.

The second was a large family with a new pontoon. They backed it down the ramp and before it hit the water they had to load eight people and a pile of gear. Then the father backed it into the water, but the motor was in the down position and there was a long, drawnout grinding sound. The pontoon floated into the lake, the son couldn't start what was left of the motor, and the father was yelling. I don't know what was said because it wasn't in English. Someone finally got them back to shore, they loaded the pontoon on the trailer and off-loaded the people and gear and drove away. All told, they tied up the launch for over half an hour, but it was great entertainment.

I'll GLADLY wait for the guy/gal who pulls the strap/rope out to winch up the boat.

1) Most likely, they get the boat on straight the first time, and don't have to keep backing the boat in to re-float.

2) They aren't contributing to the destruction of another ramp. No powerloading "hole" at the bottom of the ramp, no rock and sand ledge at the far side of the hole, the cement slabs don't start to drop in the middle due to the sand being sucked out from below.

Thank you for not powerloading.

Tim

Quote:

Quote:

I am still amazed on how many people pull the strap to the end of the trailer and wind the boat all the way up.
shocked.gif

how about the people who power load when the access clearly states "NO POWER LOADING" I have no problem with this one what so ever. I can wait 15-30 seconds for someone who doesn't feel comfortable power loading their boat. Better to be safe than try and hurry too much when you aren't comfortable.

Well thanks guys !!! grin.gif After reding this thread, I was so dam nervous at the landing this weekend. I managed to do the following:

1. Forgot to put plug in.

2. Forgot to undo the crank strap.

3. Missed the rollers 3 times.

Yee Haaaaa

Well, I have a good one from last night. I was fishing with my bro-in-law on a small local lake in the evening. We trolled acroos the lake to the access to load the boat and head home. When we got close it, there was somebody launching a boat and another guy with a young girl launching a canoe so we just parked and through out a line for a minute to wait for the access to clear. When they were done we proceeded to the dock to get off the lake. Another boat comes barrelling down to try and beat us (we were only 20 yards away, they came across the lake). So we are in no hurry and let them get to the dock. They are going so fast the guy runs to the front of the boat to grab the dock, loses his footing and goes sliding face first onto the public access dock. He gets up and grumbles and my bro-in-law says "nice move" and he just grumbles a little and proceeds to run up the ramp to beat us to the truck to back in. It only takes him about 20 tries to get the trailer in the water, and that is at a 45 degree angle. After ten minutes of trying to get the boat on the trailer he finaly jumps in the water in his jeans and guides it on. they pull out and we were loaded and gone in less then five minutes total. Some guys are just brilliant! Made for good entertainement though. grin.gifconfused.gif

Quote:

Or on the flip side, those who take their boat out of the water, then leave it in place blocking the ramp while they secure the boat for land travel. I go bonkers.

Oh yeah, we had this one yesterday! There were 4 boats hovering around the landing on a small local lake here in the West Metro. This couple pulls up to the dock, begin's to unload everything BUT the kitchen sink out onto the dock, tie up the boat with 2 lines to the dock, and they both proceed to start hauling the stuff up to their truck. They get it all loaded into the truck, then he decides it's time to back the trailer into the water. But first, he has to stop by the Porta-Potty! Then, the twit has to move his boat to the other side of the dock so he can get his trailer in the water, and can his other half hold the boat? Nooo, we gotta tie it up again to finish getting the trailer in! Okay, so we're finally getting the boat on the trailer, again, and, again, and AGAIN! He backed off of the trailer 3 times before he got it on straight! In the mean time, 2 more boats have showed up and are waiting. He finally pulls the boat 10 feet out of the water, stop, and he and his other beging to put the straps on, and they both grabbed towels and began to wipe down the boat and the trailer! I pulled up to the dock and politely asked them if they could pull up a little so we could back in and get out of the way. He looked at me and not so kindly told me to **** Off, we'll be done in a minute! His spouse looked at us and muttered "The nerve." I have nerve? I wasn't the one tying up the ramp for the last 20 min!

One a deeze days Alice! Pow!!!!! Ta da moon!!

Quote:

I'll GLADLY wait for the guy/gal who pulls the strap/rope out to winch up the boat.

1) Most likely, they get the boat on straight the first time, and don't have to keep backing the boat in to re-float.

2) They aren't contributing to the destruction of another ramp. No powerloading "hole" at the bottom of the ramp, no rock and sand ledge at the far side of the hole, the cement slabs don't start to drop in the middle due to the sand being sucked out from below.

Tim

Not to attack your post or anything, but is power loading a real problem? I have never really seen any accesses that I have noticed a problem? I power load my boat, but if it is damaging the lake I may have to change my ways. I live on a lake that has a 3 accesses. One of them has 30+ parking spots for trucks/trailers that is always full and almost everyone power loads and there is no signs of damage at all. Your post just made me think. Is it a real problem?

Power loading damage varies by the type and depth of the launch, AFAIK. On a shallower launch, its a lot easier to dig a hole behind the landing. I've been to a few landings that have lost concrete due to the sand getting prop-washed out, but many are deep enough to handle it fine. Many of the landings that are susceptible, are signed "no power loading" and everyone should pay attention to it.

On the flip side, there was a landing on the MN river that was so silted over that it wasn't really useable until a nice guy came in with a riverpro and blasted the whole thing clear for us smile.gif

-rus-

Maybe a sign would be helpful by the staging area. Make sure plug is in, load all equipment in boat, strap off, etc.

Just a thought.

The propwash can pull the sand out from underneath the cement pad, which will make usually make one corner drop more than the other, and thus make the ramp a PITA to use.

I'm on the access to Forest Lake 1 a couple times a week. It's a shallow ramp with a short pad, very susceptible to damage - and it's already messed up. It just makes those who have a hard time getting their boat aligned on the trailer take longer.

Really, it's not the guy/gal who dips the bunks first and is able to just idle up to the stop - with maybe a quick boost at the end. It's guy's that ROOOOAAAARR up the dry trailer where the tires are barely wet. You can see it churning the (*&&(* out of the bottom, and that pulls sand out from underneath the pad.

Tim

Quote:

Quote:

Tim

Not to attack your post or anything, but is power loading a real problem? I have never really seen any accesses that I have noticed a problem? I power load my boat, but if it is damaging the lake I may have to change my ways. I live on a lake that has a 3 accesses. One of them has 30+ parking spots for trucks/trailers that is always full and almost everyone power loads and there is no signs of damage at all. Your post just made me think. Is it a real problem?

Maybe he was not trying to beat you. If you have a line out near the dock, he might think that you are not waiting to land?

Funny story in any case.

That man really had the nerve to say that to you ? Incredible. Some people really are simply unaware. What do you do with them?