Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CrappieJohn

a done deed

4 posts in this topic

The zumbro has successfully gotten the deed done this year. The crappies caught today were , for the most part, males off nests. A few crappies were found hanging on some deep wood not too far down and many of those were quite large. More than likely the females are relating to the wood now to take a rest after spawning.

I tried the sunfish in a couple of "generally" productive areas and found them to be away. The sunfish that were taken today all came from over deep water, suspended at seven feet over 19 feet. Got a couple real nice ones too.

The fishing this morning was basically much slower than it has been and its time to begin looking at other tactics now to ice the crappies. On the overall, this spring season has been pretty darned generous with the crappies and especially the huge sunnies.

The water temp was over the 70 degree mark today and I would imagine that the rapid rise in it was the reason for the abbreviated spawning period. It really is amazing how quickly that many fish can get this trick done in such a short time frame.

Tom et al -

Found a mediocre crappie bite last evening, much to what Tom described... Fish were a bit scattered between shallow and intermediate depths. Two of us nickeled and dimed them until we had ten nice prisoners in the box. Tried a number of plastics, and it didn't seem to matter what type of plastic. But purple/chartruese was the ticket. Never ran into any sunfish, but found several smallies that were willing to play. As Tom mentioned, seems like the spawn bite is tappering down.

Being it was essentially one of the first nice 80+ degree days, water ski/pleasure boat traffic was a little on the crazy side. The ski team was also practicing. I do have to mention that a gentleman from the ski club helped me get my boat on the trailer, as I didn't back in quite far enough.

I did a early morning multi-species trip this morning and didn't find much of anything cooperative much like everyone else. Though the fish weren't cooperative the wildlife didn't dissappoint. Saw 2 deer wading in a bay as I was boating past. Had a beaver swim around the boat while I was fishing, and of all things even had a snake swim past me.

Even got my good deed in for the day, as I was about to trailer my boat another poor individual who shall remain nameless had just backed his trailer in only to find his boat drifted out a bit out of reach. Figured he didn't want to go for a swim so I backed my boat back off and helped him out.

Andy

Thanks for the lift Andy!