Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishingdad

Same boat different motors which is a better deal?

5 posts in this topic

I am looking at 2 very similar boats Lund fisherman 1800's one is a 2000 and one is a 1999. My question is the 2000 has a 2000 130 hp Honda 4stroke and the 1999 has a 1994 rebuilt 115 hp 2 stroke evinrude. the 2000 with the 130 hp 4 stroke is $4000 more. Is it worth it? is a 115 even big enough for a 18' fisherman. I am set on getting a 18' fisherman so the boat isn't the issue I'm just curious on different opinions about the cost difference factor between the outboards. Thanks

Its up to you how much confidence you will have buying a rebuilt motor. I think 115 would be fast enough but I guess its a older motor which had some problems.

Personally, the 115 is under powered for that boat but a good motor. The 130 should be sufficient (I know guys that have that set-up), and a 4 stroke Honda which is nice. I'd pick the 4 stroke option, but we don't know the asking price. smirk.gif

MAn I wouldn't even hesitate a minute. Jump all over the Honda package!! Resale value will stay up, for one thing. And you will likely have ZERO trouble with the Honda...I've owned several of them and they are great!!

I agree with Ufatz, the older rebuild is not cheap enough to justify it, in my opinion.

$ 4000 less is not enough to make me choose it. I would get the Honda 130, besides 115hp on a 18ft Fisherman is a little skimpy, the 130ho is much better.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Crappie222
      Hey what's a good place to do some trout fishing around the cloquet area. I stopped at otter and tried today didn't even get a bite is it still to early?
    • Huntin&Fishin
      Nope. Was waiting for more responses. I checked the dnr netting scedule and varied it was not them.
    • Cobber
    • Rick
      Private landowners interested in learning more about managing their woodlands for habitat and income can attend a low-cost workshop and field tour from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, May 6, at the Cohasset Community Center at 3rd St. NW, Cohasset. The Itasca County Private Woodlands Committee is hosting the workshop with assistance from the Department of Natural Resources Cooperative Forest Management (CFM) program. The workshop aims to educate landowners about timber management and how to thoughtfully and purposely harvest trees to create better wildlife habitat and generate income from a timber sale. Woodland owners can also learn about options for enrolling in a tax incentive program to reduce property taxes. The day will begin indoors with a series of educational sessions about managing forests to benefit a variety of wildlife, working with a consulting forester to write a stewardship plan, the mechanics of a timber sale, and how to contract with a qualified logger. After lunch, participants will board busses for an afternoon tour of different sites to see first-hand the differences in unmanaged and managed timber, and previously cut timber in various stages of regeneration. “Our last workshop this winter in Palisade had over 100 attendees and we are anticipating strong interest in the Grand Rapids area, too,” said Grand Rapids area CFM Forester, Josh Donatell. “Over the last 20 years, there has been a decline in timber harvest from private lands. This program helps restore lost habitat on private land as well as promote a more stable supply of wood and fiber for the timber industry.” Pre-registration is required. The $20 cost includes lunch and field tours. Participants should dress appropriately for outdoor weather and wear sturdy shoes or boots. Anyone interested in attending or registering can contact Josh Donatell by email at josh.donatell@state.mn.us, or by phone at 218-328-8912. An agenda can be viewed online at www.dnr.state.mn.us/woodlands/workshop.html.   Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • SpearPike