• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleyes?

OK guys, I am new to Minnesota. Moved up here from Missouri. Not many walleye in MO. I have never caught one. I want to. 1)What is the best "small lake" in the west metro to go to catch one. I have a 14' boat w/ front and back trolling motors and 25 horse outboard, so I am set to back troll etc. I don't care about size, I just want to catch one. 2) What is the best method, lindy rig, crank bait, trolling.

Any info would be appreciated.

I see your from Victoria.. this isnt the answer your looking for on a lake, but Waconia has a good population of walleyes, and your boat should be more than capable of getting around.

The presentations usable are limitless.. but a simple rig that will always seem to produce is a Lindy type rig. Tip the hook with bait of choice(leech, crawler, minnow) and work break lines, weed edges, sunken islands... just about any type of structure that is holding, or may hold baitfish near, or in deeper water.

Currently, I have been having success at lakes I fish in water as shallow as 7'.. a good rule of thumb is to work water in the 15'-25' depths and work shallower or deeper from there.. you should pick fish up on your electronics and can fine tune your target depths from there.

Another way to hunt down walleyes is to troll crank baits.. #5-#9 shad raps are a good example, the larger the bait, the deeper the water you will be effective in. A #5 is good in 10' or less, #7 in depths from 8'-15', #8 from 10'-17', and #9 can be good to depths of 20'.. depth of lure will depend on line diameter, speed trolled, and distance back from the boat. It is ideal to try to present the bait just above the bottom(strike zone). Speeds from .8 mph to 3 mph on the average can be very productive.. occasionaly, a hair faster.

These are a couple tips that should help. I wish I knew of a smaller lake in the area that is productive.. Parley has walleyes in there, but they get hammered and can be difficult to catch. A local bait shop may be able to give you some other options, or ideas.

If your from Victoria go to the bait store in town its called Cabin Fever ask for jeff he gives good info sells good stuff and will even tell ya a good joke .

SHOULD HAVE BEEN DAR YESTER DAY

Here's what I wish somebody had taught me when I move up here (3 years now) but instead it took me a while to learn with some help from my friends.

Fish with an open bail. When you get a hit, or a "maybe", drop the line and let it pay with no resistance (braids can be a problem by hitching a bit off the spool.) After a few seconds, take up and gently "feel" the tension. Bass and northerns will generally be booking off someplace, and panfish will be tapping and ticking at the bait, but walleyes tend to hold it with a throbbing sensation, with occasional heavy tapping or thumping, then run slowly off. They also often come on just as weight, or even as a fluttering resistance like you've hooked a leaf. After a time, set with a sweep of the rod. I bet I missed a dozen bites by mishandling them before I got lucky a couple of times.

Also hook the leech by the pointy (non-sucker) end and take care to prevent him from balling up or spinning.

That's what I wanted to know.

ice

Thanks for the info. I have been out of town for a couple of days. I finally made it out last night to Waconia. I had a blast. I did not catch any walleye, but several nice bass. I had one "big" fish on that broke the line. I am guessing a musky or northern.

I did talk to Jeff, he suggested Waconia as well. I will keep trying for that first walleye. Any more infor would be greatly appreciated. The open bail suggestion and type of feel was very helpful. Thanks.

Try Howard Lake in Howard Lake, MN, or Collinwood Lake just outside Cokato, MN. Both hold small to medium eyes. Work reefs and points right before it rains, or in the evening. Try to find current areas earlier in the spring and summer and then work deeper flats with spinners and beatle spins tipped with fish parts or cut up chubbs in the later summer.

---Zdaddy

PS FEEESH!!!!!

Zdaddy76 - thanks for the info. I went out last night with my 6 yr old son and had a blast. Six nice walleye's and the highlight was Drew catching a 19" bass on his scooby doo rod and reel. Shoot me an e-mail and I will give you the details. Randy [email protected]

It's all in the Scooby Doo rod.

My daughter consistently outfishes me with hers. So this year, I got her a real rod and reel. She still out fishes me though.

Congrats to you both!